Any Benefits to Me Getting An Irish Passport?

Some jobs insist you have full UK nationality does having an Irish passport stop you getting those jobs. Is it a bit like those football players whose granny was from Dundee who play for Scotland but then can't play for England. I know if you have enough money you can buy a passport but think either parents nationality, or where you are born not because you grandad once kissed a lady from Dublin.

Stamping passports hardly takes any time. Tbh these new fangled automatic passport scanners take way longer than just showing the officer on duty (and then stamping it) as they never work or they dont with me anyhoo. It's a bit like at the SoL with the e tickets being sold as more efficient & faster resulting in longer queues :lol:

They work fine it's just the boomers who can't operate them

They work fine it's just the boomers who can't operate them

I'm way too young to be a boomer, 2 years younger & I'd be a millennial.

For whatever reason the facial recognition don't like me, and have to move to the other queue after several attempts.

i went through the new electronic gates at faro yesterday that they've just spent a fortune on to help reduce the queues for the british travellers with no problems at all.

i went through the new electronic gates at faro yesterday that they've just spent a fortune on to help reduce the queues for the british travellers with no problems at all.
I was in Faro in August & waited ages. They were directing EU right past us. Probably about 3-4 UK flights in short succession & buses from every resort being people in for all flights at very similar times.

I was in Faro in August & waited ages. They were directing EU right past us. Probably about 3-4 UK flights in short succession & buses from every resort being people in for all flights at very similar times.
in january it looked like they were just trialling the new electric gates for non eu folk, this time out we tried them, fully expecting to get knocked back like they usually do coming into newcastle (for me anyway) but it was fine. never got stamped. i think when the person you go to at the manual gates puts it under his scanner it's doing the calculations anyway and the stamp is just a 'manual' record.
i know it's out of season but it's the quickest i've ever been through, including pre brexit days.

Last edited:
Me nana was Irish, so I qualify for an Irish passport (I believe). Someone I work with got very excited when I mentioned it & said I should get it ASAP. What’s the benefits for me?

I don’t intend to live or work in the EU. Holidays are with my wife & kids, who are English, so they wouldn’t qualify, so passport control wouldn’t be different.

Can only think if travel, work or travelling abroad alone a lot there’d be advantages
I have travelled with my best mate alot and she has a British passport and I have an Irish one. Big difference on how you are treated in other countries... more favourably for the Irish passport.

Simply not true and any seasoned traveller will tell you so. I travel to some weird and wonderful places with work and the British passport carries a lot of weight, certainly in my experience. In most instances holders of other passports get quizzed for up to 10 minutes at border while British passports is usually a cordial exchange lasting no more than 30 seconds.
I was referring to the rights that an EU passport gives. Rights that we no longer have. You do realise that if we hadn't left we'd have all those benefits plus the amazing kudos of a British passport that saves you 10 minutes at the border. I suspect that the Irish passport is also similarly respected unless of course your travelling in a time machine to 1970s England.

I was referring to the rights that an EU passport gives. Rights that we no longer have. You do realise that if we hadn't left we'd have all those benefits plus the amazing kudos of a British passport that saves you 10 minutes at the border. I suspect that the Irish passport is also similarly respected unless of course your travelling in a time machine to 1970s England.
You specifically said Romanian passport. UK passport gives visa free access to 154 countries and ranks 27th in the VisaGuide.World rankings. Romania has 143 visa free counties and ranks 36th. Ergo your statement is false. Travelling globally is still pretty easy on a UK passport and having to get my passport stamped in Europe is no inconvenience. Indeed once countries all start going biometric (like UAE) you will be able to walk through an e-gate without even using a passport and there will be no difference whatsoever at immigration for most people.

Some jobs insist you have full UK nationality does having an Irish passport stop you getting those jobs. Is it a bit like those football players whose granny was from Dundee who play for Scotland but then can't play for England. I know if you have enough money you can buy a passport but think either parents nationality, or where you are born not because you grandad once kissed a lady from Dublin.

What jobs are those?

I'm involved in security cleared roles that require sole UK nationality. But Irish is the one exception.

My great grandmother was definitely born and bred Irish but we don’t have any documentation (birth certificate etc) to prove my grandfather was born in Ireland or ever had Irish citizenship, so none of us can apply. If that could ever be proven then I would apply but records of dirt poor migrants/travellers are few and far between from back then so it looks like a dead end.

You specifically said Romanian passport. UK passport gives visa free access to 154 countries and ranks 27th in the VisaGuide.World rankings. Romania has 143 visa free counties and ranks 36th. Ergo your statement is false. Travelling globally is still pretty easy on a UK passport and having to get my passport stamped in Europe is no inconvenience. Indeed once countries all start going biometric (like UAE) you will be able to walk through an e-gate without even using a passport and there will be no difference whatsoever at immigration for most people.
3rd

3rd
Knock me down with a feather. 3rd to Romania’s 16th

Back