Another religion thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date

easy for us in our ivory towers to wish religion away but for those living in poverty, who have no hope for the future and face the fear of disease and death of loves ones on a permanent basis I would imagine religion can play a huge part in giving someone the strength to carry on

Have a read of this long read from the BBC about christian missionaries. Are they doing more harm than good?
I’ve posed the question that if Australia were discovered today would we still try and convert all the aboriginal people to save them from themselves or would we just leave them all to it?

Missionaries: Serving God or playing God?

According to that article:

Missionaries of all Christian creeds cite a passage in the Bible, the most famous of which appears in the Book of Matthew, in which Jesus asks his followers to "make disciples of all nations".

So if Jesus was instructing his own disciples around 30 CE to do this how could he be referring to concepts that were not formed at that time and certainly not established for centuries?

His instruction to make disciples of all nations could not have included indoctrination into the concepts of the New Testament which hadn't even been written.

Last edited:
There is an argument that it is a "Spiritual Gin" (Marx).
Many need it to distract them from their day to day drudgery.
Also others use it to make sense of the world.

Either way. Marx's theory was accurate in the time he was alive. It probably still applies in some areas of deprivation around the world, but the world has moved on and people are more willing to question things.
It's no surprise there are organisations such as "Faith to Faithless" which is supported by Humanists which help people who have decided to leave their faith.

How's Nigel Farage doing?
(I know, bit naughty...)
Don't know mate why, is there a connection?
Seems legit to me. :lol:

She was a proper cretin anyway, it's amazing what a bit of good propaganda and a nice title can get you.

When I actually did a bit of research around her I realised she was a bit of a fraud... like the church she's a member of

Seriously, what was so good about her
I think people thought she was a lovely kind person at the time until all the stories came out. Turns out she was Jimmy Savilles sister.

Repeat after me: "If Piers Morgan died today, no one would give a shit."
Obviously coincidence but was a bit weird :lol:.

Last edited:

He didn't pull any punches like :lol:

Missionaries of all Christian creeds cite a passage in the Bible, the most famous of which appears in the Book of Matthew, in which Jesus asks his followers to "make disciples of all nations".

So if Jesus was instructing his own disciples around 30 CE to do this how could he be referring to concepts that were not formed at that time and certainly not established for centuries?

His instruction to make disciples of all nations could not have included indoctrination into the concepts of the New Testament which hadn't even been written.

Given that the gospels were written 40 years after jesuses death by unknown authors how do you know to any degeee of accuracy what he said, let alone whether he existed ?

Last edited:
I doubt it. 80% of the world's population believe in some sort of "God", even tribes in the middle of nowhere. Sadly it seems that Humans and Religion go hand in hand. Some people have this innate need to believe in something bigger.

Corrected slightly but good point made.

I doubt it. 80% of the world's population believe in some sort of "God", even tribes in the middle of nowhere. Sadly it seems that Humans and Religion go hand in hand. We have this innate need to believe in something bigger.

Important information this. We are infact the oddball minority laughing at the majority when it comes to God.

He didn't pull any punches like :lol:

Given that the gospels were written 40 years after jesuses death by unknown authors how do you know to any degeee of accuracy what he said, let alone whether he existed ?
He usually was.
I doubt it. 80% of the world's population believe in some sort of "God", even tribes in the middle of nowhere. Sadly it seems that Humans and Religion go hand in hand. We have this innate need to believe in something bigger.
Our pre-frontal lobes are too small, our adrenal glands are too large.

That part of our brain was probably set up for belief in Aliens, imo its been skewed and brainwashing is vibrant.

easy for us in our ivory towers to wish religion away but for those living in poverty, who have no hope for the future and face the fear of disease and death of loves ones on a permanent basis I would imagine religion can play a huge part in giving someone the strength to carry on

Good point.

We are still doing it. Now we go to countries to spread democracy and freedom. Just look at Iraq and Afghanistan. The players change but the game stays the same.
I think democracy and freedom are substantially different to religions

I think it’s related to a lack of knowledge, once education levels improve globally, religion will die off as most people will then laugh at the concept.

That part of our brain was probably set up for belief in Aliens, imo its been skewed and brainwashing is vibrant.
Belief in aliens is just mathematical stats, religion is just brainwashing.

Important information this. We are infact the oddball minority laughing at the majority when it comes to God.
What’s the drop off in church attendance in the last hundred years? Belief will follow soon.

Sounds like the historical equivalent of click bate.

Last edited:
I think it’s related to a lack of knowledge, once education levels improve globally, religion will die off as most people will then laugh at the concept.
Roger Penrose, the world famous mathematician and physicist, believes in "God". He even went looking for it.
Will the "God Particle" Replace God? | HuffPost
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What do you get if you divide science by God?

I don't think education will have the sweeping effect you think it will.

Just a side note, almost every scientific discovery in the past 2000 years was made by a bible basher. So they're not all as stupid as you think.

Roger Penrose, the world famous mathematician and physicist, believes in "God". He even went looking for it.
Will the "God Particle" Replace God? | HuffPost
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What do you get if you divide science by God?

I don't think education will have the sweeping effect you think it will.

Just a side note, almost every scientific discovery in the past 2000 years was made by a bible basher. So they're not all as stupid as you think.
Well yeah cos until very recently the countries you could be a scientist in would kill you for being an atheist. Some still do.

What’s the drop off in church attendance in the last hundred years? Belief will follow
There are other religions waiting to pick up the torch

Back