Another religion thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23273

Have a read of this long read from the BBC about christian missionaries. Are they doing more harm than good?
I’ve posed the question that if Australia were discovered today would we still try and convert all the aboriginal people to save them from themselves or would we just leave them all to it?

Missionaries: Serving God or playing God?

Have a read of this long read from the BBC about christian missionaries. Are they doing more harm than good?
I’ve posed the question that if Australia were discovered today would we still try and convert all the aboriginal people to save them from themselves or would we just leave them all to it?

Some would. The majority would hopefully let them be and hopefully forge a good partnership with the natives, without trying to convert them to something they have no interest in.
They were fine without it, they'll continue to be fine without it. Some probably have their own faiths anyway. And if they do, that's up to them, but going over there to specifically attempt to persuade them that your sky fairy is better than theirs is frankly abuse and manipulation

This is one of the reasons why religion is such a serious issue. Some people take it verbatim as the word of the creator of the universe or words of people who knew the creator of the universe.

He will have died truely believing what he did was right, justified and God's work.

Just like Salman Abedi and the horrific act he carried out or anyone else who's mind is warped by a book that claims to be revealed truth.

The catholic church and the persecution of Jews lead to the holocaust.

Mother Theresa and her being a little shithouse lead to poverty and death.

Through the ages Religion and true believers have an insane amount of blood on their hands.

Some would. The majority would hopefully let them be and hopefully forge a good partnership with the natives, without trying to convert them to something they have no interest in.
They were fine without it, they'll continue to be fine without it. Some probably have their own faiths anyway. And if they do, that's up to them, but going over there to specifically attempt to persuade them that your sky fairy is better than theirs is frankly abuse and manipulation
That's all religion is.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons why religion is such a serious issue. Some people take it verbatim as the word of the creator of the universe or words of people who knew the creator of the universe.

He will have died truely believing what he did was right, justified and God's work.

Just like Salman Abedi and the horrific act he carried out or anyone else who's mind is warped by a book that claims to be revealed truth.

The catholic church and the persecution of Jews lead to the holocaust.

Mother Theresa and her being a little shithouse lead to poverty and death.
I predicted Mother Teresa's death to the exact day.

I was chatting to my mother who was banging on about Princess Di and how much she did for charity etc. I said if she wasnt pretty and a princess things would be different. I said if Mother Teresa dropped down dead today people wouldn't give a shit. My mother phoned me half an hour later and told me to put the news on because Mother Teresa had died. I felt a bit guilty that I had cursed her :lol:. Ive got form for that.

Missionaries were basically scouts for empire builders and still do work to impose western values on undeveloped and developing nations.

I'd say the treatment of indigenous people in a newly discovered land would depend very much on what natural resources are available and the competition to get access to it.

That's all religion is.

There is an argument that it is a "Spiritual Gin" (Marx).
Many need it to distract them from their day to day drudgery.
Also others use it to make sense of the world.

Either way. Marx's theory was accurate in the time he was alive. It probably still applies in some areas of deprivation around the world, but the world has moved on and people are more willing to question things.
It's no surprise there are organisations such as "Faith to Faithless" which is supported by Humanists which help people who have decided to leave their faith.

I was chatting to my mother who was banging on about Princess Di and how much she did for charity etc. I said if she wasnt pretty and a princess things would be different. I said if Mother Teresa dropped down dead today people wouldn't give a shit. My mother phoned me half an hour later and told me to put the news on because Mother Teresa had died. I felt a bit guilty that I had cursed her :lol:. Ive got form for that.

How's Nigel Farage doing?
(I know, bit naughty...)

I remember having about 3 different minute silences for Lady Di at Sunderland matches because the teams we played hadn't had one yet, I think Bradford away was the first? I was annoyed that we didnt have one for Mother T.

Seems legit to me. :lol:

She was a proper cretin anyway, it's amazing what a bit of good propaganda and a nice title can get you.

When I actually did a bit of research around her I realised she was a bit of a fraud... like the church she's a member of

I remember having about 3 different minute silences for Lady Di at Sunderland matches because the teams we played hadn't had one yet, I think Bradford away was the first? I was annoyed that we didnt have one for Mother T.
Seriously, what was so good about her?

There is an argument that it is a "Spiritual Gin" (Marx).
Many need it to distract them from their day to day drudgery.
Also others use it to make sense of the world.

Either way. Marx's theory was accurate in the time he was alive. It probably still applies in some areas of deprivation around the world, but the world has moved on and people are more willing to question things.
It's no surprise there are organisations such as "Faith to Faithless" which is supported by Humanists which help people who have decided to leave their faith.

How's Nigel Farage doing?
(I know, bit naughty...)
Still abuse and manipulation. At least Gin doesn't expect anything from you in return.

Last edited:
Seems legit to me. :lol:

She was a proper cretin anyway, it's amazing what a bit of good propaganda and a nice title can get you.

When I actually did a bit of research around her I realised she was a bit of a fraud... like the church she's a member of

Seriously, what was so good about her?

Still abuse and manipulation. At least Gin doesn't expect anything from you in return.
Charity mate!

I am not religious myself but am quite fascinated by it and think it does an awful lot of good for some people, so each to their own really.

Charity mate!
Did you see the "work" her charity did.

Or where they took a lot of the money from. Woman was a f***ing shitehawk.

I am not religious myself but am quite fascinated by it and think it does an awful lot of good for some people, so each to their own really.
If you break down what "good" it actually does. It usually results in people having to make up their own cobbled together religion.

Did you see the "work" her charity did.

Or where they took a lot of the money from. Woman was a f***ing shitehawk.

If you break down what "good" it actually does. It usually results in people having to make up their own cobbled together religion.
I didnt really want a minute silence for her just thought it was funny how Lady slut Di was getting so many and little was said about Mother T. Both selfish women who knew how to play the media.

I didnt really want a minute silence for her just thought it was funny how Lady slut Di was getting so many and little was said about Mother T. Both selfish women who knew how to play the media.
:lol:

got any data to back up that claim, champ?
I suppose it depends how you define good.

I've read the bible and I've read the quran and I'd describe neither overall as "good"

Repeat after me: "If Piers Morgan died today, no one would give a shit."

Back