Annual ‘Car Parking at CLS’ Thread

If I get there late on Friday what are my options? Is the Riverside overflow likely to be full and Does Lumley Castle have paid parking for the T20s?

Thanks in advance.
Park on Durham Road just along from Evangel Church just before the roundabout at the Wicket Gate. It’s 10 minutes walk through the houses and across the dual carriageway and no traffic after the game

I’ve parked there 4 times this season. The stewards haven’t had machines and needed cash (£2). One of them told me that the machines hadn’t arrived. They may of course be there now, but just so you know!
Aye one very kindly let us park for free the first T20 this season as neither of us were carrying cash and I'd read the 'contactless payments only at the Riverside' on every comms from DCCC.

I've been sure to bring a couple of quid for each T20 since.

(Cool story I know)

The answer is that you get forced to park in the nursery ground rather than the Riverside Park. Means that you’re right at the back of the queue for getting out.

Missed the last 12 overs of our ‘innings’ to make sure we weren’t caught in the mother of all traffic jams getting out. God help those who stayed til the end!

I'd suspected as much. I've sent a message to Chester-le-Street Police asking for clarification/confirmation. I'll probably ask the same of Durham County Council.
There are some official resident only places during the day which have been up a couple of years but these temporary yellow signs are pointless. None of the residents were given permits for this, so nobody knows who is who. We parked in the resident zone tonight no bother at all.

Parked in Lancaster Terrace at the A167 end for the last two T20 games, same spot, before tonight. Came back after the Lancs game and the car windscreen, driver side, had a smashed egg on it. Deliberately done IMO. Not the first run in I've had with residents over parking in streets near the ground either.

Parked in Lancaster Terrace at the A167 end for the last two T20 games, same spot, before tonight. Came back after the Lancs game and the car windscreen, driver side, had a smashed egg on it. Deliberately done IMO. Not the first run in I've had with residents over parking in streets near the ground either.

That's where we parked but down the bottom near the A167 exit. Never had any bother.

I persuaded the mrs to drop me off and pick me up post match. Always a nightmare post a yorkshire game getting away

Not if you leave with 5 overs to go and park away :lol::lol:

that said they were queuing to get out the car park as we were walking out, tells you a lot of people were leaving early

Not if you leave with 5 overs to go and park away :lol::lol:

that said they were queuing to get out the car park as we were walking out, tells you a lot of people were leaving early
Indeed, there was a right old walkout early tonight.

i remember one game v yorkshire where we won in the last over and it took an hour and a half to get away.

Response from Police, awaiting a reply from the Council. May send an email to DCCC too.

These signs have not been placed or enforced by the police. It would likely be the cricket club itself or the local authority.

Response from Police, awaiting a reply from the Council. May send an email to DCCC too.

These signs have not been placed or enforced by the police. It would likely be the cricket club itself or the local authority.

Council are the only one that can introduce/enforce resident parking schemes on public roads.

Council are the only one that can introduce/enforce resident parking schemes on public roads.
If, as seems possible, the signs are the actions of residents and not an official scheme, I thought the Police may have received complaints about it. Just wondering if any Chester-le-Street locals knew anything about it too.

Not the same type of signs, but a similar principle.

Last edited:

Back