Annual ‘Car Parking at CLS’ Thread

If, as seems possible, the signs are the actions of residents and not an official scheme, I thought the Police may have received complaints about it. Just wondering if any Chester-le-Street locals knew anything about it too.

I spoke to a resident who used to post on here, and he knew nowt about it, not received any letters/permits from the council and basically said they have no way of proving who is who.

Until the council put up official permit only signs and issue resident permits, then nothing they can do. It's merely a deterrent at the moment but I expect that will change in the near future.

I spoke to a resident who used to post on here, and he knew nowt about it, not received any letters/permits from the council and basically said they have no way of proving who is who.

Until the council put up official permit only signs and issue resident permits, then nothing they can do. It's merely a deterrent at the moment but I expect that will change in the near future.
Of course if it’s not legally binding, you can choose to park in those streets if you like, however I personally am not keen on having eggs smashed on my windscreen (not the end of the word like) but what if they get worse and key your car or slash your tyres, I’m dramatising I know but I did have a *conversation* with a resident previously that left me under no illusions that he did want me to park there, I haven’t done since.

Of course if it’s not legally binding, you can choose to park in those streets if you like, however I personally am not keen on having eggs smashed on my windscreen (not the end of the word like) but what if they get worse and key your car or slash your tyres, I’m dramatising I know but I did have a *conversation* with a resident previously that left me under no illusions that he did want me to park there, I haven’t done since.
Aye thats how I looked at it the egg thing is nowt but its a warning that I've been clocked and it acts as a deterrent. Two other occasions I have had residents shouting at me that I can't park outside their house. Just ignored one and asked the other the other how long he had personally owned the public highway. Lad I know has family that live in Headingley and they told him they love it when big games are on as it is huge boost for the local economy. Their not bothered by any of the hassle that comes with it.

Aye thats how I looked at it the egg thing is nowt but its a warning that I've been clocked and it acts as a deterrent. Two other occasions I have had residents shouting at me that I can't park outside their house. Just ignored one and asked the other the other how long he had personally owned the public highway. Lad I know has family that live in Headingley and they told him they love it when big games are on as it is huge boost for the local economy. Their not bothered by any of the hassle that comes with it.
Sounds like you had a similar conversation with a resident as me, I pointed out that it was a public highway and I wasn’t causing any obstruction , but his relative anger made me fully aware that I wasn’t welcome, and though I don’t drive a 71 plate Bentley I don’t want my car damaging, which I suspected he was capable of.
*Edit Didn’t

Last edited:
Yup some of them seem precious & I knew someone who lived in Holmands Park and said the residents are wankers regarding the cricket club and life in general. Said area now has proper permit restrictions in but it only applies to the highway only. Fully expect the other areas to follow soon though. On Lancaster Terrace there is someone with a big sign in their window about it :lol: . I've found a few other free parking areas and if all else fails it's £1.10 all day in the town and free on a Sunday do it's no biggy just a bit of a walk. The parking charges at the council car parks outside the ground are ridiculous in comparison to the town centre. I think it's £4.60 all day outside the ground, yet £1.10 in the town (free after 2pm which the Riverside car parks don't offer). Over a 4 day game £1.10 X 4 is a lot cheaper than £4.60 X 4. All adds up

Can remember it was similar back in the days of Roker Park and Sunderland illuminations. Residents thought they were there for their use only

I worked on the illuminations and had control of the music that was played in the park. Night after night a woman would storm into the office in the house near the band stand, demanding the sound was turned down so she could sleep.

the fact it was for the enjoyment of thousands of visitors made no odds with her

Yup some of them seem precious & I knew someone who lived in Holmands Park and said the residents are wankers regarding the cricket club and life in general.
I've lived in CLS all my life and would pretty much agree with this assessment. :D I often walk along two of the streets that lead onto Ropery Lane on my way to the matches and from the looks of some of them in their gardens you would think I was walking through their living room in my muddy wellies.:lol::lol:

Response from Police, awaiting a reply from the Council. May send an email to DCCC too.

These signs have not been placed or enforced by the police. It would likely be the cricket club itself or the local authority.

So the response from the Council is........

Thank you for your email regarding parking in residential streets near Riverside, Chester-le-Street, during event days.

We can confirm that the Police erect the temporary ‘Resident only parking’ yellow signs and parking cones in this area to manage parking during events and Durham County Council are not involved in this process. Therefore, we would recommend contacting Durham Constabulary on their non-emergency ‘101’ number if you wish to find out further information regarding this.

Thank you for your email regarding parking in residential streets near Riverside, Chester-le-Street, during event days.

We can confirm that the Police erect the temporary ‘Resident only parking’ yellow signs and parking cones in this area to manage parking during events and Durham County Council are not involved in this process. Therefore, we would recommend contacting Durham Constabulary on their non-emergency ‘101’ number if you wish to find out further information regarding this.
So someone is telling porkies🤷‍♂️

Someone telling lies then. Basically it's not enforceable as I said. Load of shite.
Supplementary query to DCC and Police asking them for further comment, quoting each other's reply, before I 'take it further'.
I'd not bother pestering them, sounds like they're all not bothered really and it's a case of dropping off a few signs to appease. They clearly aren't bothered which from a fan point of view is good

@The Red Telephone @GordonMuchallNo1Fan @Twisted

any advice for this lad for parking at CLS ? Don’t think he has been before

I've only just been to me first T20 in about a decade, I've no clue what the concerts are like. There's parking across from the ground but I've no clue how early they fill up at a concert.

I did notice the ground is hosting a food festival called Chester le eats later in the year though.

Hope this helps

I've only just been to me first T20 in about a decade, I've no clue what the concerts are like. There's parking across from the ground but I've no clue how early they fill up at a concert.

I did notice the ground is hosting a food festival called Chester le eats later in the year though.

Hope this helps
Sorry

@The Red Telephone

any help for heritage hamper for the ross concert?

Imagine thinking you own the street outside of your house.

I get that it must be annoying, but they don't own the public highway.
@The Red Telephone @GordonMuchallNo1Fan @Twisted

any advice for this lad for parking at CLS ? Don’t think he has been before
I would park up in the estate behind park view school if there are spaces.

Failing that, just drive a bit closer to the town centre and take your pick.

Last edited:

Back