Anderson finished?

Honestly id only play him in the day nighter

Don't agree at all there marra, he actually bowled well in the 4-0 down there last time, by far our best bowler, and he is bowling the same speed now, as he was then.

He will be vital there IMO, I dont get this talk about him slowing down at all, fair enough injuries, but when he plays, he's just as good

If nobody knew he was 38, nobody would question him. I dont get the big deal, no interest how old he is, just if he still performs

and he is still by far the best bowler in England for me. Literally the only question for me is fitness, he reckons he has been unlucky that is all.

Don't agree at all there marra, he actually bowled well in the 4-0 down there last time, by far our best bowler, and he is bowling the same speed now, as he was then.

He will be vital there IMO, I dont get this talk about him slowing down at all, fair enough injuries, but when he plays, he's just as good

If nobody knew he was 38, nobody would question him. I dont get the big deal, no interest how old he is, just if he still performs

and he is still by far the best bowler in England for me. Literally the only question for me is fitness, he reckons he has been unlucky that is all.
He's not by far better than broad

In Australia, id have Broad as 1st choice, day nighter aside i cant see where id play both of them.

In Australia, id have Broad as 1st choice, day nighter aside i cant see where id play both of them.

Probs wont play together, he will play a few though, the express pace thing is getting overplayed like, India just showed that.

Thing is then if you say Archer, Wood as first choice 2, they wont play every game, then who comes in?

I cant see people like Stone playing, he might be quicker but he's just nowhere near as agood bowler as the old timers

Then you are on to Woakes, Curran

Ollie Robinson is the one the journos reckon England fancy for over there.
He's not by far the best bowler in English conditions it's not a slant on him but broad is as good

Broad's class, but Jimmy is a step up, Rolls Royce of a cricketer.

Probs wont play together, he will play a few though, the express pace thing is getting overplayed like, India just showed that.

Thing is then if you say Archer, Wood as first choice 2, they wont play every game, then who comes in?

I cant see people like Stone playing, he might be quicker but he's just nowhere near as agood bowler as the old timers

Genuine question I don't know the answer who got more wickets in the summer, if Robinson was going to play in Australia he would be getting games now

Yeah he strikes me as the type of character the more people say he is nearly finished the more determined he is to prove them wrong!

Broad, archer, wood, woakes, leach, stokes - may or may not go woakes depending on how the top 6 are faring.
Broad, anderson, woakes, archer, stokes, bess for the day nighter
Stone, robinson, curran, virdi as bowlers to come in for injuries

Broad, archer, wood, woakes, leach, stokes - may or may not go woakes depending on how the top 6 are faring.
Broad, anderson, woakes, archer, stokes, bess for the day nighter
Stone, robinson, curran, virdi as bowlers to come in for injuries

Sorry like but there is no scenario where Woakes gets in ahead of jimmy, I don’t get your logic for that? He’s just not as good a bowler, especially overseas, his record is awful

By the way since 2016, jimmy averages 21

Sorry like but there is no scenario where Woakes gets in ahead of jimmy, I don’t get your logic for that? He’s just not as good a bowler, especially overseas, his record is awful

By the way since 2016, jimmy averages 21
Woakes has massively improved the last 2 years, was very good in SA and had a great summer with bat and ball.

Personally depending on the wickets and the clear very good capability of our seam attack and the depth it has against , imo weak spinners.

Don’t see why it’s not a possibility to not play a spinner in some tests in the Ashes.

This assumption we have to play a spinner even when they not very good I don’t always get

Woakes has massively improved the last 2 years, was very good in SA and had a great summer with bat and ball.

He didn’t play much in South Africa like

His batting is quality I agree which might be handy, but he leaks runs abroad which is the problem, jimmy n broad can bowl dry if it’s not doing much, Woakes can’t.
Personally depending on the wickets and the clear very good capability of our seam attack and the depth it has against , imo weak spinners.

Don’t see why it’s not a possibility to not play a spinner in some tests in the Ashes.

This assumption we have to play a spinner even when they not very good I don’t always get

You need a spinner like, I can’t see what 5 Seamers will do that 4 won’t

If you play 5 seamers then 1 will basically never bowl

Leach isn’t a bad bowler, he’s solid, I’d just back him from now on, he took 12 at 25 in the ashes last time

I’m worried if we play Bess, he was excellent on South Africa but hasn’t reached those heights yet

I like that they’re investing time in him though as he is a good all round cricketer who I think has a long term future

Last edited:

If root was able to do a containing job id have no issue

There have been bowlers in the mould of Stuart Clarke who have been very successful is Oz bowling at 82mph.

I’d still rather have five tests of an 82mph Jimmy than an 87mph Archer.

Still think Jimmy may be opening the bowling in the 2023 Ashes never mind next winter. In the same way I think Warne could have played the 09 Ashes had he really wanted to.

He didn’t play much in South Africa like

His batting is quality I agree which might be handy, but he leaks runs abroad which is the problem, jimmy n broad can bowl dry if it’s not doing much, Woakes can’t.

You need a spinner like, I can’t see what 5 Seamers will do that 4 won’t

If you play 5 seamers then 1 will basically never bowl

Leach isn’t a bad bowler, he’s solid, I’d just back him from now on, he took 12 at 25 in the ashes last time

I’m worried if we play Bess, he was excellent on South Africa but hasn’t reached those heights yet

I like that they’re investing time in him though as he is a good all round cricketer who I think has a long term future

I think the answer to that question, is if the fifth seamer is a better bowler than the spinner he could get more wickets.

I think in principle you do need a spinner, but if you have really good fast bowlers and weak spinners, then you surely have to look at that principle!
For example going into the Perth test if we have fully fit Wood,Archer, Anderson and Broad, would not drop any of them for any of our spinners.

Last edited:

Back