Altidore

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a gif on here of him in the middle of the park attempting to take a ball and to all intents and purposes virtually tackling himself. It was worse than the goal misses, like a dog with a balloon. Anyone got it?

There was a gif on here of him in the middle of the park attempting to take a ball and to all intents and purposes virtually tackling himself. It was worse than the goal misses, like a dog with a balloon. Anyone got it?

Logon or register to see this image

Wasn't very good for us, or anyone really, but he hardly deserved being bitten by an El Salvadoran tonight.

The corner just before, Romero for El Sal give him a nipple twistie as well...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-altidore-romero-nipple-twist-20170720-story.html

Were really trying to get big jozy hot under the collar.

The ref was abysmal, mind.

Last edited:
Easily the worst footballer I've seen for us and that takes some doing. Probably the only professional I've ever seen who looks uncomfortable with a football.

andy gray
whitley
stead
chris brown
stead
le tallec
adnan
Gerry harrison
neil wainwright
paul lemon
tommy lynch
kilbane
proctor
chris black
micky heatchcoat
brian mooney
roly gregoire

he is nowhere near the worst

andy gray
whitley
stead
chris brown
stead
le tallec
adnan
Gerry harrison
neil wainwright
paul lemon
tommy lynch
kilbane
proctor
chris black
micky heatchcoat
brian mooney
roly gregoire

he is nowhere near the worst

mark lynch!
terry cooke!

He was indeed horrible last night and horrible overall. That said, two of our players got bit. (Gonzalez and Altidore) WTF?

In all seriousness, the USMNT has some serious issues. I don't think we've had a decent striker since McBride, and that's not saying a lot. Zardes and Altidore are utter shite.

Another way to put it is that by far the two best scorers in that time have been Donovan and Dempsey, neither of whom is/was really a striker despite being shoved up there out of need. Zardes is a good athlete who seems to occasionally remember how to kick a ball, but he overall makes Altidore look like Ibrahimovic.

He literally looked like a bloke from the crowd who had won a competition to play for a year.

He looked like a very athletic bloke from the crowd who won said competition. Athletically he could hack in in the Premier League. Unfortunately, being able to chokeslam Rafael (and doing so!) isn't as useful as having remotely near the touch, instincts, or ability to place his shot to play effectively against top-level defenders and keepers. It was sad.

Last edited:
I'll give him his due, in the second 0-3 he absolutely destroyed Taylor.

How has he become such a huge name in the States? Was he brilliant earlier in his career? Has he been amazing at International level for them? Has he been good everywhere bar here?

Genuinely bemused as he was one of the worst footballers I've seen for us, and I've been following for over 30 years. I've seen a lot of shite :lol:

He has spells, both on the national team and in MLS, where he gets on a roll and plays really well. If you include the playoffs, he was close to a goal a game the last three months of 2016 for Toronto, and once scored in five consecutive matches for the US. When he's confident, he can overcome the limited technical skill and use his physical ability to get things done, at least on a certain level. But even here, he also goes through patches where he's awful, where the mistakes become more pronounced, the complaining more obvious, and he's a waste. He was bad last night.

I think if he'd caught a couple breaks at the beginning during his time at Sunderland, he'd have turned out to be merely poor rather than comically bad. Instead, even when he did something well it was being written off. The stepovers to earn a penalty are the classic example. If he'd been a 5 or 6 goal scorer that season, it never gets the reaction that it did.

Last edited:
andy gray
whitley
stead
chris brown
stead
le tallec
adnan
Gerry harrison
neil wainwright
paul lemon
tommy lynch