All this shit about managers not being good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not arsed about getting straight back up simply to endure another 4-5 yrs of survival whilst paying a bunch of
I'm not arsed about getting straight back up simply to endure another 4-5 yrs of survival whilst paying a bunch of tossers well over the odds. If we're going back up we need to be competitive.

Our best finishes in the PL, under a Reid, came after a few years of getting a squad together, which also included a relegation. It doesn't necessarily have to take three years, but I'd prefer to see someone come in with a clear vision of how we will be competitive should we get promoted. Given our financial situation, it is pointless trying to buy promotion by signing a lot of players who won't be able to cut it if we get promoted, as we'd be stuck in the same situation with players on our books who other clubs either don't want, or can't afford.

If i can see a manager investing in quality youth, and building a team over a couple of years that will be competitive with the acquisition of a couple of proven quality PL players when promoted, then I'd be over the moon.

tossers well over the odds. If we're going back up we need to be competitive.

Our best finishes in the PL, under a Reid, came after a few years of getting a squad together, which also included a relegation. It doesn't necessarily have to take three years, but I'd prefer to see someone come in with a clear vision of how we will be competitive should we get promoted. Given our financial situation, it is pointless trying to buy promotion by signing a lot of players who won't be able to cut it if we get promoted, as we'd be stuck in the same situation with players on our books who other clubs either don't want, or can't afford.

If i can see a manager investing in quality youth, and building a team over a couple of years that will be competitive with the acquisition of a couple of proven quality PL players when promoted, then I'd be over the moon.
Really sensible post - given time and careful thoughtful management we should be able to more than compete with the likes of Bournemouth, Stoke, West Brom etc
But do the people running the club have what it takes to make the important first decisions?

Every single manager we have had in recent times have been quite happy to draw football matches, that is why us being in the top flight has been so painful for alot of those 10 years.

I'd be happy with anyone who doesn't have that mentality and gets us playing positive football instead of all the negative shite we have had to put up with season after season.

The problem is SAFC are a supertanker heading in one direction and any young manager can see that. The owner wants to sell, the playing squad is poor, and there's no money.

In my opinion the point of no return has passed. The Moyes appointment was the final chance. That was when Sunderland had Premiership status and could have attracted one of the best coaches. Now Sunderland just sink and find a level.

Having appointed Moyes, I would have stuck with him because for a club in Sunderland's position it will be very difficult to do better

Last edited:
Bruce was nearly a good manager, that game against Chelsea was brilliant, but then remember what happened the game before

Sam did a great job, his greed has ruined him, I think he has retired, unless someone offers him more money

He is shit and has only managed in xxxxxxxx isnt really a valid opinion though
Totally agree

Every single manager we have had in recent times have been quite happy to draw football matches, that is why us being in the top flight has been so painful for alot of those 10 years.

I'd be happy with anyone who doesn't have that mentality and gets us playing positive football instead of all the negative shite we have had to put up with season after season.

I can remember those days :cry:

Too worried about getting beat than trying to win. Should be trying for the win, the draw is nearly a defeat.

I can remember those days :cry:

Too worried about getting beat than trying to win. Should be trying for the win, the draw is nearly a defeat.

If you score two goals it takes 3 to beat you, my football philosophy, all we've seen for so long is just try to stop them scoring we might get a draw.
That's not how to play football, it's not what you want as a fan and it's certainly what you don't want as a football club.

Any young manager with ambition would jump at the chance, apart from the money side of things
When Sunderland hit bottom, and start to recover, then manager's might see the potential. But the Championship is full of teams with history. Sunderland are just another club fallen on difficult times.

If you score two goals it takes 3 to beat you, my football philosophy, all we've seen for so long is just try to stop them scoring we might get a draw.
That's not how to play football, it's not what you want as a fan and it's certainly what you don't want as a football club.

That sounds like some kind of rabble rousing, brilliant, I wonder when the last time that the players were told to go out and get stuck in? Give it 100%. More like, keep it tight, play safe for the first 20. then see if we can nick one, how f***ing depressing is that?

When Sunderland hit bottom, and start to recover, then manager's might see the potential. But the Championship is full of teams with history. Sunderland are just another club fallen on difficult times.

None with more recent history than us, too many of our supporters underestimate the pull of this club. How many managers outside the top flight do you think would say no?

Last edited:
I'm not arsed about getting straight back up simply to endure another 4-5 yrs of survival whilst paying a bunch of tossers well over the odds. If we're going back up we need to be competitive.

I use the three year figure simply as that is the period of parachute payments. After then it becomes increasingly difficult and stacked in the favour of recently relegated sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back