Alex Hales

Also I don't go along with this 'one rule for one' patter referring i assume to Stokes. Hales not being selected isn't about punishment now, its about trust, being a bad influence and his impact on others. The reason Stokes is in is because he is trusted, he is the ultimate team player and great for team spirit as well as being a fantastic player.
Bringing Pietersen back into the squad worked wonders

Incredible isn't it. Captain leaves player out for a serious breach of discipline and trust issues. Wins the world cup for the first time in our history and captain still doesn't trust player enough to have him back in the team.

And he is getting accused of being weak and petty because of it :lol:

It would seem to me that hales is a cock, not popular and has made really serious errors of judgement. If Morgan says that he doesn't trust him in the group thats good enough for me.

unnecessary and immature post this like

athers n nasser agree with me

and I’ve already said Morgan has my support and I’m not being over critical

yeah but you got a few likes with your cheap shots well done
It’s almost like it’s a team game

Sunderland supporters more than anyone know what a “rotten core” can result in

haha not really

the exact opposite

the idiots on here called our most hard working players who cared the most, catts, Bardsley, o Shea and Larson the “rotten core”

So no idea why you brought that up, pretty bizarre
Excellent for us, but so unfair on him

really is

Denly not too old for one day cricket but plunkett is?

some strange omissions in there in my opinion

but Ed Smith likes to make statements
Final point in Hales

No no deal

but people make mistakes

and as Roy Keane said about fergie don’t forget the players who got you to where you are. Morgan will end up with a knighthood I bet but player like hales n Wiley played big part in that without featuring in tournament

Last edited:
unnecessary and immature post this like

athers n nasser agree with me

and I’ve already said Morgan has my support and I’m not being over critical

yeah but you got a few likes with your cheap shots well done

haha not really

the exact opposite

the idiots on here called our most hard working players who cared the most, catts, Bardsley, o Shea and Larson the “rotten core”

So no idea why you brought that up, pretty bizarre

really is

Denly not too old for one day cricket but plunkett is?

some strange omissions in there in my opinion

but Ed Smith likes to make statements
Final point in Hales

No no deal

but people make mistakes

and as Roy Keane said about fergie don’t forget the players who got you to where you are. Morgan will end up with a knighthood I bet but player like hales n Wiley played big part in that without featuring in tournament
Denley is Smith's mate, that's why he gets in the side.

I understood him as a stop gap in Tests (although the top 3 should now be Burns, Sibley, Crawley) but shoehorning him in the White ball sides is just madness

Denley is Smith's mate, that's why he gets in the side.

I understood him as a stop gap in Tests (although the top 3 should now be Burns, Sibley, Crawley) but shoehorning him in the White ball sides is just madness

I don’t mind Denly to be honest. He’s actually earned it on county performances last few years

More saying that it’s double standards. They.m clearly just don’t fancy plunkett for whatever reason

extremely harsh in my opinion

Usual rational and commonsense view from Atherton.
Any chance you could copy and paste mate?

Was watching an interview with him on the cricket show on Sky earlier. Said he’d tried to reconcile with Morgan last year but he didn’t want to know, or words to that effect. Atherton, Key, Bumble and Nasser were all in agreement that he’s been very badly treated. Hard to disagree I’d say. Personally would have had him back last summer at the latest. Lad has done his time. Sounds like the ecb have washed their hands of him though

Was watching an interview with him on the cricket show on Sky earlier. Said he’d tried to reconcile with Morgan last year but he didn’t want to know, or words to that effect. Atherton, Key, Bumble and Nasser were all in agreement that he’s been very badly treated. Hard to disagree I’d say. Personally would have had him back last summer at the latest. Lad has done his time. Sounds like the ecb have washed their hands of him though
Best white ball batsman in the world imo. I know it's a big call but I honestly believe it. Morgan needs to grow up

Wasn't Malan accused of playing for himself instead of the team a while ago? I can't remember the exact circumstances behind, something to do with turning down runs so he could stay at the striker's end and get a century?
Exactly, see#5.
Leading run scorer in recent big bash but unsold in IPL auction. Something about him that we don't know?I
Certainly think there's something about his exclusion from England set up that we don't know.

Last edited:
Exactly, see#5.
Leading run scorer in recent big bash but unsold in IPL auction. Something about him that we don't know?I
Certainly think there's something about his exclusion from England set up that we don't know.

I agree. Its easy from we are to be critical without knowing the full story. Also if including Hales takes 5% away from the team ethic that makes us a very good side when as a player he is only the tiniest upgrade (if that) on the likes of Bairstow, Roy, Buttler, Malan is it really worth it? It maybe that Hales is a decent bloke, a great team player like Stokes who made a bad mistake and is being badly treated but we really dont know.

Watched that myself last night. I think Hales came across as pretty genuine. He’s admitted he’s made mistakes etc and like Bumble put across the point, he needed to front up to the fact that he’s made mistakes, sort himself out and show that he’s addressed the issues. Then he had to get away and score runs. As far as we can all see, he has ticked all 3 boxes. He’s probably one of the best limited overs top order batsman around at the moment and he’s still only 32. If he’s capable of staying on the right track and fit, then he can be the highest T20 run scorer which he said is his aim last night. He’s well within a shout, think it was on screen last night, Gayle has 13000 odd and Hales is a few good knocks short of 9000. The fact that Morgan has basically just snubbed him completely does show a lack of class and doesn’t bode well for me as a captain despite Morgan’s impressive achievements. It’s like Bumble said, why isn’t he sounding out the guys Hales has played with and talking to Shane Bond and see what’s happening with him off the pitch as it’s obvious he’s performing on the pitch.I know Bumble said last night that he thinks Hales should be proactive and go and have a chat with the selectors and ECB etc but what’s the point if Morgan has made his mind up? Morgan should front up and be honest with Hales directly and tell him his England career is over and let him go and make plenty of hard cash from franchises or get out there and find out how he’s doing, give him a plan that he need to stick to and prove to everybody that he’s changed and let him work to winning a world championship which like he said last night is his ultimate aim.

Watched that myself last night. I think Hales came across as pretty genuine. He’s admitted he’s made mistakes etc and like Bumble put across the point, he needed to front up to the fact that he’s made mistakes, sort himself out and show that he’s addressed the issues. Then he had to get away and score runs. As far as we can all see, he has ticked all 3 boxes. He’s probably one of the best limited overs top order batsman around at the moment and he’s still only 32. If he’s capable of staying on the right track and fit, then he can be the highest T20 run scorer which he said is his aim last night. He’s well within a shout, think it was on screen last night, Gayle has 13000 odd and Hales is a few good knocks short of 9000. The fact that Morgan has basically just snubbed him completely does show a lack of class and doesn’t bode well for me as a captain despite Morgan’s impressive achievements. It’s like Bumble said, why isn’t he sounding out the guys Hales has played with and talking to Shane Bond and see what’s happening with him off the pitch as it’s obvious he’s performing on the pitch.I know Bumble said last night that he thinks Hales should be proactive and go and have a chat with the selectors and ECB etc but what’s the point if Morgan has made his mind up? Morgan should front up and be honest with Hales directly and tell him his England career is over and let him go and make plenty of hard cash from franchises or get out there and find out how he’s doing, give him a plan that he need to stick to and prove to everybody that he’s changed and let him work to winning a world championship which like he said last night is his ultimate aim.
Aye agree with the last point as well, which was also mentioned last night. It’s only fair that he knows either way, even if it’s a complete rejection while the current regime is in place, so he can move on if he needs to and focus on the franchise game

Aye agree with the last point as well, which was also mentioned last night. It’s only fair that he knows either way, even if it’s a complete rejection while the current regime is in place, so he can move on if he needs to and focus on the franchise game

Agree he’s made mistakes but it was 2 years ago or so now and he needs clarity on what his future holds. Leaving him hanging by a thread is totally unfair. It’s like Bumble said last night, it’s similar to the KP situation, a team of do-gooders who stick to every rule and regulation isn’t going to win you every game and tournament going. Play your best players!!

Back