Alastair Cook

Listen I hate KP, but he was f***ing class batsman, and fully a big part of our success

He isn't however the best batsman to play for us, and not sure why some see this is a fact

Its a team effort. KP was able to play how he played as we had top quality order players setting the game up for him to play that way

As we have seen with this team, the instability in the top order means our lower order players suffer.
Cook is our best ever comfortably in my opinion

Cook is our best ever comfortably in my opinion

Many people, and Cook himself, say that he doesn't have the natural talent of a lot of other players (like KP) but his 'can do' attitude and knuckling down has got him to where he is. If KP is our best batsman then with the talent he has, and not having to face the new ball, he should easily have more runs than Cook. But he didn't have the mental side to do it.

Many people, and Cook himself, say that he doesn't have the natural talent of a lot of other players (like KP) but his 'can do' attitude and knuckling down has got him to where he is. If KP is our best batsman then with the talent he has, and not having to face the new ball, he should easily have more runs than Cook. But he didn't have the mental side to do it.
KP was pretty much neck and neck with Cook in terms of runs and centuries when he was put out to grass.

KP will go down as the best batsman to play for England.
Across all formats hard to disagree.

He was player of the tournament in the only limited overs competition we won.

His innings against South Africa at Headingley when he made Steyn look like a net bowler is one the greatest innings from an English player I’ve seen. Probably only Gooch v Windies at same venue trumps it.

Last edited:
KP was pretty much neck and neck with Cook in terms of runs and centuries when he was put out to grass.

His innings against South Africa at Headingley when he made Steyn look like a net bowler is one the greatest innings from an English player I’ve seen. Probably only Gooch v Windies at same venue trumps it.
It's harder for Cook against the new ball

It say for mentality, longevity, and the fact he faces the new ball cookies better

8423 vs 8151 to Cook, and KP started a year before Cook. So more runs, with less talent, in shorter space of time, but more crucially, facing the new ball. Proves the point, doesn't it?

Last edited:
8423 vs 8151 to Cook, and KP started a year before Cook. So more runs, with less talent, in shorter space of time, but more crucially, facing the new ball. Proves the point, doesn't it?
Hadn’t cook played as many games though due to KP injuries?

If the argument is purely based on having to face the new ball then what you’re saying is that any successful opener is a better player than a successful middle order one.

Also Cook couldn’t adapt his game to limited overs KP could and was I did the first real superstars of 20/20 cricket.

If the argument is purely based on having to face the new ball then what you’re saying is that any successful opener is a better player than a successful middle order one.

Also Cook couldn’t adapt his game to limited overs KP could and was I did the first real superstars of 20/20 cricket.

Fine, you’re right, KP is far better than Cook, Mr Morgan.

So cook is better than likes of Kohli, Richards, De Villiers, Lara etc as it’s easier for them not facing new ball?

it is a different skills set mind so its hard to compare openers with world class No 4 s. I don't think any of those batsmen would have Cook's record opening every week but they would all have far superior records to Cook batting at 4.

Surely we’re only talking about test cricket though? Imo, Pieterson was more talented and on the face of it a better batsman. Hard to argue against Cook having the better test career though. Facing the new ball is certainly a factor in judging a players career if players have a similar record.

Overall both great players for England, Pieterson being the better batsman and being better across all formats but Cook with the better test career, imo of course.

Surely we’re only talking about test cricket though? Imo, Pieterson was more talented and on the face of it a better batsman. Hard to argue against Cook having the better test career though. Facing the new ball is certainly a factor in judging a players career if players have a similar record.

Overall both great players for England, Pieterson being the better batsman and being better across all formats but Cook with the better test career, imo of course.

No chance

Cook better test batsman easy. No contest

Cook’s record in ODIs is excellent

Another lazy assumption by you

Why comparing?

Imagine if Pietersen had opened, he’d have been awful

Also againt tonight KP’s PR machine Piers Morgan making a fool of himself

So deluded

Cook will the greatest send off of any English cricketer ever this weekend, I honestly reckon Pietersen would be booed

Idiots

Last edited:
No chance

Why comparing?

So deluded

Cook will the greatest send off of any English cricketer ever this weekend, I honestly reckon Pietersen would be booed

Idiots
Average 36 isn't excellent

No chance

Why comparing?

So deluded

Idiots
:lol: So you agree with me that Cook had the better test career?
The fact he opened, his longevity and his mental toughness all being in his favour. No way did he have more talent than Pieterson though and to be honest I’ll take anything you say about with a pinch of salt as you hate too much to be objective in any way.

Back