Alastair Cook

Absolute legend.
Deserves far more respect than he gets from people.

The statistics back that up, he's had his rough patches but so has every player.

Probably the right timing for him, terrible timing for England with our top order woes though.

The statistics back that up, he's had his rough patches but so has every player.

Probably the right timing for him, terrible timing for England with our top order woes though.
OTOH. The series is won. England have a chance to get someone in before going on tour. Will they find someone???????

Sad day but the right decision. Has been on the decline for a few years now. Absolute legend and should enjoy his retirement grinding out runs for Essex

He was last week criticised by mentor Graham Gooch who accused his old pupil of “flat-lining”.

"My concern would be watching him that I don't see any improvements in his game," Gooch told Radio 4.

"I think he's flat-lining a little bit. When you're a batsman, you need to improve yourself, you need to look for new things to do to drive you forward."

"I don't know how he's practicing and I don't know what he's doing away from the game, but I am concerned when I see him play," Gooch said. "I think he makes similar mistakes but even at 33 or 34, you can improve yourself."

Most runs from an opening batsman in Test history, outside chance of passing Kumar to become the 5th highest run scorer of all time. Chronically under appreciated as both a player and captain.

An all-time great and a thoroughly decent man, I hope he enjoys him retirement on the farm.
He joins some big names in that list of all time test run scorers. Well deserved retirement and legend status

Back