Aircraft fire Haneda (Tokyo)

0verlord44

Winger
All passengers evacuated thank god!!

Well done to the crew

Sky reporting a possible collision on the runway though

Last edited:

BBC correspondent saying although it’s 200miles away we believe the accident is nothing to do with the earthquake.

WTF. Why do they even need to say something like this.
Haneda know where that is?

(Do you really think the average SMBer knows where it is?)

I know it's in Japan now
Tokyo.
All passengers evacuated thank god!!

Well done to the crew

Sky reporting a possible collision on the runway though
I’ve seen a video of it landing and it appears to strike something near the left engine. There is also a canny dent in the left engine which you can still see on the news coverage. Also It’s confirmed to have hit another plane.

Well done to everyone.

Last edited:
Seen the images there. Nose was down on the aircraft so the nose gear has failed at some point. Could be due to fire like

Wow surprised no casualties on board with that.

Though reporting the coastguard plane may have. 5 of 6 unaccounted for.
had a quick look and video is very rough but could be a Beach 350. The Japanese coastguard use them and they carry that many pax. not a 172 with 6 onboard, and didnt look like a jet..

All very early speculation though. As always with air accidents

Hard to see clearly in the video, the nose gear fails for sure, but the explosion looks like an impact with something, like a vehicle or small aircraft, unlikely as that should be. It could have been coming in a little fast, hard to be sure, but didn't seem steep. It isn't 'normal' for a nose gear failure crash landing to cause an instant fuel explosion like that, but its possible if it immediately angled severely to one side and the wing collapsed.

BBC correspondent saying although it’s 200miles away we believe the accident is nothing to do with the earthquake.

WTF. Why do they even need to say something like this.

Tokyo.

I’ve seen a video of it landing and it appears to strike something near the left engine. There is also a canny dent in the left engine which you can still see on the news coverage. Also It’s confirmed to have hit another plane.

Well done to everyone.
WTF ?

Why did they have to mention the earthquake? Are you taking the wata?

Hard to see clearly in the video, the nose gear fails for sure, but the explosion looks like an impact with something, like a vehicle or small aircraft, unlikely as that should be. It could have been coming in a little fast, hard to be sure, but didn't seem steep. It isn't 'normal' for a nose gear failure crash landing to cause an instant fuel explosion like that, but its possible if it immediately angled severely to one side and the wing collapsed.
Looks like nose gear impact to me rather than failed, size of explosion left behind and nose-down angle as it slides down the runway, pretty clear what happened and the questions are more 'why' now.... thought I'd seen on one of the discovery episodes that all larger airports have ground and runway radar that is supposed to stop this from happening nowadays?

Looks like nose gear impact to me rather than failed, size of explosion left behind and nose-down angle as it slides down the runway, pretty clear what happened and the questions are more 'why' now.... thought I'd seen on one of the discovery episodes that all larger airports have ground and runway radar that is supposed to stop this from happening nowadays?
Sorry, I didn't mean technical failure of the mechanism, I literally meant 'was no longer holding it up', sorry lazy wording. Yeah, its been one of the big horror scenarios since the two jumbos in tenerife in the 70's. I was looking at the evidence rather than just accepting early media reports hence didn't assume a collision and couldnt see anything for sure, but looking clear now from reports that this was a runway collision, fear for those in the small aircraft.

I am off to Japan on Saturday; a business trip with a holiday in Kanazawa (beautiful place) the following week. It's a testement to their structural engineers of how the infrastructure withstands earthquakes.

Last September I flew in and out of Haneda. This airport is massively congested and although further out and the flights arrive mid morning, I find Narita more efficient. On the last trip, the 777 from Paris arrived 20 minutes early (nothing unusual) but had to wait nearly an hour for the stand to become free. The baggage took nearly another hour to arrive.

I have flown with JAL on domestic flights quite a few times and the experience is different since people do not take many bags on board like they do in Europe and the USA, they send them by a baggage transfer courier (Yamanoto?). The passengers take their seats promptly, boarding and disembarkation is extremely fast and orderly. I was once on a JAL flight from Hanada to Sapporo to visit the Snow Festival and this was less orderly, mainly due to foreign tourists. I wonder if it would have been a different outcome elsewhere; I recall images from a British Airways aircraft being evacuated at Las Vegas with the passengers leaving the plane with their bags.

Back