Age related decline.

Its okay doing gyms and training and eating all the right stuff and drinking moderately etc but its not what you'll remember fondly on your death bed .All about control,but you have to live and enjoy it.If that means dying two years earlier so be it.My thing is giving stuff up i love .Pretty much gave 5 a side footy up after a lifetime because it just hurts too much after.Dirt biking is the other one,again a passion all my lfe and its odd to think that ride may be my last

These things take up very little time. I love swimming and it's part of my fun. I run now because I wanted to get my lungs going properly. I walk lots of places but I'm lucky I live where that is possible. None of these impinge on my remembering fondly stuff.

Drinking has naturally declined the older I get but I still love an all day full on session.

Food is a big thing. I love my food but have stopped eating shite over the last ten years. (except when pissed)

I think you have to do some exercise and lose the weight to be able to do stuff you remember fondly. I'm 57 and can still keep going at a festival until 3 in the morning because I'm fairly fit.

I gave up 5 a side about 10 years ago:(

Its okay doing gyms and training and eating all the right stuff and drinking moderately etc but its not what you'll remember fondly on your death bed .All about control,but you have to live and enjoy it.If that means dying two years earlier so be it.My thing is giving stuff up i love .Pretty much gave 5 a side footy up after a lifetime because it just hurts too much after.Dirt biking is the other one,again a passion all my lfe and its odd to think that ride may be my last

What you have to bear in mind though is that it’s not about dying two years earlier....I’m genuinely not bothered when I go....it’s about those last few years and what kind of health you’re in. There’s a balance there and genetics aside it’s worth finding out what works for you to stave off that decline. I can’t go into some of the states I see people in as it’s unorofessional but it’s frightening how low your quality of life can become if you don’t take steps to combat the decline.

What you have to bear in mind though is that it’s not about dying two years earlier....I’m genuinely not bothered when I go....it’s about those last few years and what kind of health you’re in. There’s a balance there and genetics aside it’s worth finding out what works for you to stave off that decline. I can’t go into some of the states I see people in as it’s unorofessional but it’s frightening how low your quality of life can become if you don’t take steps to combat the decline.
Agree but its a bit of a lottery really and we spend a lot of time on stuff trying to guess the future and denying some pleasures .Clearly being a smoking fat slob is a sure fire way but after that its hard to say .

These things take up very little time. I love swimming and it's part of my fun. I run now because I wanted to get my lungs going properly. I walk lots of places but I'm lucky I live where that is possible. None of these impinge on my remembering fondly stuff.

Drinking has naturally declined the older I get but I still love an all day full on session.

Food is a big thing. I love my food but have stopped eating shite over the last ten years. (except when pissed)

I think you have to do some exercise and lose the weight to be able to do stuff you remember fondly. I'm 57 and can still keep going at a festival until 3 in the morning because I'm fairly fit.

I gave up 5 a side about 10 years ago:(
Sound similar to me but i don't think its enough for the professionals but i'd say we're doing enough to benefit ourselves .Stopping out late is canny easy mind you and thats because its enjoyable and what lifes all about.Not the time on the clock but the people you're are doing stuff with.Swimmings good but docs aren't keen on jogging and i hate it ,hoy a ball in front and i'll run til i drop.

Last edited:
Agree but its a bit of a lottery really and we spend a lot of time on stuff trying to guess the future and denying some pleasures .Clearly being a smoking fat slob is a sure fire way but after that its hard to say .

My own philosophy is that I really enjoy the bits that will hopefully see my health stay reasonable enough to enjoy old age. I love running and cycling, walking, lifting a few weights and preparing healthy grub. I started that long ago that it’s just how I roll these days....I never feel as though I’m missing out on anything. I still love a pint and a bag of crisps but I don’t feel the need to eat kebabs and binge watch box sets slumped on the sofa.

My own philosophy is that I really enjoy the bits that will hopefully see my health stay reasonable enough to enjoy old age. I love running and cycling, walking, lifting a few weights and preparing healthy grub. I started that long ago that it’s just how I roll these days....I never feel as though I’m missing out on anything. I still love a pint and a bag of crisps but I don’t feel the need to eat kebabs and binge watch box sets slumped on the sofa.
Yeah its taking the bits of the endless lifestyle advice that suits you and finding the balance.It is surprising how many do nowt and let themselves go

Yeah its taking the bits of the endless lifestyle advice that suits you and finding the balance.It is surprising how many do nowt and let themselves go

I see the consequences on a daily basis mate. Amputations, permanent oxygen therapy, bedridden or mobile only in wheelchairs, but so many never see the link between what they do and the way they are.

Sound similar to me but i don't think its enough for the professionals but i'd say we're doing enough to benefit ourselves .Stopping out late is canny easy mind you and thats because its enjoyable and what lifes all about.Not the time on the clock but the people you're are doing stuff with.Swimmings good but docs aren't keen on jogging and i hate it ,hoy a ball in front and i'll run til i drop.
I was with you on the running but a decent Spotify playlist and 45 minutes out in the fresh air is great.

I was with you on the running but a decent Spotify playlist and 45 minutes out in the fresh air is great.
Got my off road dirt bike which though you dont notice at the time seems to use every muscle in your body and gets you lathered .Just a bit old for being the neighbourhood pest these days .

There was a test on the tv recently that is used to test how healthy you are and could indicate longevity. From a standing poition, legs crossed, lower yourself down to a seated position and back up again without using your hands. I couldn’t do it, initially.

There was a test on the tv recently that is used to test how healthy you are and could indicate longevity. From a standing poition, legs crossed, lower yourself down to a seated position and back up again without using your hands. I couldn’t do it, initially.
It is ok to use 1 hand if you’re over a certain age.

Regular exercise is more important than diet and weight, for longevity.

Scientifically proven fact.

Regular exercise is more important than diet and weight, for longevity.

Scientifically proven fact.
Really? I thought it would go hand in hand

I have told our kids that I am going to have robotic implants when body parts start to fail. The youngest is a bit concerned that I’ll be like a general grievous cyborg when I’m 120.

Logon or register to see this image
That's one way. Robotic parts

Last edited:

Back