After Life

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
Had to skip all the latest comments due to everyone watching them at once then telling everyone else.
Watched first of new series last night
It's enjoyable in that Old England meandering type of way
I love Rickys stuff
Does anyone just find it spread really thin ?
Some canny ideas stretched way too thin ?
Just feels by the end of this season he could have done it all in 1 .
Clearly everyone's loving it so must be just me

I'm with you. It was a nice concept in series one, but it's just the same thing over and over. So little development, in fact it's taken Tony three series to grasp the extremely basic concept of it's better to be nice than a bellend. It's convinced me that, while he's still funny, Ricky's just not a very good writer on his own. Frustrating, because if he checked his ego and just got a quality co-writer alongside him, he could still create some really good shows.

They were beyond cunty to be fair. I mean it worked because you loathed them and felt the discomfort when they were in the office with the others, but it was like someone set off a mental bomb when they came in

@Chesterladmackem
She was also in Phoenix Nights. She was the woman called Beverley who Brian went on a date with.
"Flower for the lady?"
"Fuck off".

I saw her do stand up in Manchester once. Good craic
Remember that date and line well

The Office was still 2 series of 14 episodes - not that I watched it. I might give it a go now.
This was 3 series of 18 episodes.
Under 30 minutes each. It's hardly like he's signed up to an American 24 episodes a series job

I'm with you. It was a nice concept in series one, but it's just the same thing over and over. So little development, in fact it's taken Tony three series to grasp the extremely basic concept of it's better to be nice than a bellend. It's convinced me that, while he's still funny, Ricky's just not a very good writer on his own. Frustrating, because if he checked his ego and just got a quality co-writer alongside him, he could still create some really good shows.
On the flip side, he managed to spin it out to 3 series, coined an absolute shed load in the process whilst keeping most people on side, and I’m sure he can take his ego out for a nice quiet pint on the back of it.

On the flip side, he managed to spin it out to 3 series, coined an absolute shed load in the process whilst keeping most people on side, and I’m sure he can take his ego out for a nice quiet pint on the back of it.

True, but then the entire second series of Extras was basically dedicated to examining why doing exactly that isn't a recipe for happiness.

Maybe his priorities have changed, because I'm pretty sure he used to be liked to be seen as being up there with the likes of Larry David and Seinfeld. After Life isn't a terrible show, but it's not nearly at the level of some of his early stuff.

True, but then the entire second series of Extras was basically dedicated to examining why doing exactly that isn't a recipe for happiness.

Maybe his priorities have changed, because I'm pretty sure he used to be liked to be seen as being up there with the likes of Larry David and Seinfeld. After Life isn't a terrible show, but it's not nearly at the level of some of his early stuff.
It’s completely different to his earlier stuff so not comparable.

And pretty much universally well received if this thread is anything to go by, given you can’t please everybody and he will always, by the very nature of what he does and how he is, attract his share of haters.
I think it’s always been a seen as cool to hate him and what he does. Personally think he’s great. But then the early XFM shows mean he could release a show about someone eating an orange and I’d still think that!

It’s completely different to his earlier stuff so not comparable.

Each to their own, but I don't think it is. They're all 30 minute long, six episode series sitcoms. After Life is less of a comedy, but it's still comparable I'd say because his earlier stuff had more serious/drama elements too.

I don't think it stacks up, but clearly he's found a large and dedicated fanbase judging by social media.

Ricky, Steve and Karl never even mention each other anymore. Ricky doesn’t even follow Merchant on Twitter or vice versa. You wouldn’t even think they’ve ever worked together going by how they act like each other doesn’t exist. That being said they couldn’t have been a fall out of any kind as they are all individually happy to talk about work they’ve done together. I assume they’ve just reached a point where they’ve got as much out of each other as they could.

Within weeks of him telling us it was happening he was saying it's half written etc .
I'll watch it but it's like a pleasant old sitcom
I love his honesty but he mentions the purse going up quite a bit as it went on . I went to see his last stand up ,that was pretty average and massively attended
He knows he's a draw and can ask big money

Last edited:
Just finished the 3rd series, thought it was really good in places but overall didn't really do it for me. I think I prefer Derek out of the 2, probably could have done Afterlife over 2 series.

It’s great.

Spoiler alert….

At the end, when the dog faded away and the trees go from summer to autumnal.
What does all that represent ?

I’m a bit slow on stuff like that !

It’s great.

Spoiler alert….

At the end, when the dog faded away and the trees go from summer to autumnal.
What does all that represent ?

I’m a bit slow on stuff like that !
:eek: Seriously?

Entering the autumn of your life = getting older. Lisa disappeared first, ie popped her clogs, then the dog and eventually Tony, but the world kept spinning. We’re not immortal, life goes on without us and we all have to go sometime. We will lose loved ones on the way.

Entering the autumn of your life = getting older. Lisa disappeared first, ie popped her clogs, then the dog and eventually Tony, but the world kept spinning. We’re not immortal, life goes on without us and we all have to go sometime. We will lose loved ones on the way.
Mind, I wondered if it meant he’d topped himself. His photographer mate looked like her knee something was up as he walked away. He’s left the community happy at the fair.

Happier with that explanation like.

Cheers. That’s what I thought but like I say I don’t get things like that easily.
Beautiful stuff though.

I really enjoyed his dads analogy about life being like a fairground ride which sort of fits in with that.

Back