Adrian Chiles - Drinkers Like Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC2 9pm next monday.

Apparently he regularly necks 80-100 units a week and is told he is at serious risk of liver conditions unless he cuts it down. 100 units week is going some mind, that's 10 bottles of wine or 50 pints a week. Doubt I would drink that in a month let alone a week.

Is this normal?

It's not normal at all. I know I drink too much, probably 7 pints on a Friday, 12 if SAFC play on a Saturday, 6 on a Sunday, maybe 5 on a Tuesday. That puts me in the relatively heavy drinkers section but that's 30 pints a week. 50 certainly doesn't sound healthy!

It's easy done if you have a bit of time on your hands, maybe he was at a loose end after getting the bullet from Daybreak.

I've been off on holiday over the summer and the first couple of weeks were fine as my body was still in some sort of routine, but as the time passed I lost any sort of structure and by the last fortnight or so I was easily having upwards of 6 drinks a day. A couple of pints with dinner/watching football/boxing/up the club/out for a meal etc. rarely drunk, but units wise it adds up sharpish like.

I used to work with a lad who drank 45 pints in a 5 day week. 3 at lunchtime, 6 at night x 5 days Sunday to Thursday regular. He got completely arseholed at on Fridaysnand Saturdays, I've seen him do a gallon on a long Friday ,lunchtime, then go out at night. Saturdays was an all dayer..

Last time I saw him he was living with a lass so he'd calmed down a bit, but it still took up a lot of his down time.

Can see how it'll easily be done, especially in his job, a few at lunch time, a couple before the train home, maybe a bottle of wine over dinner, soon mounts up especially when the actual cost of drinking means very little to him.
I suppose on the other end of the wage scale you have the white cider drinkers wolfing copious amounts which is no doubt doing a shitload more damage than pints and a nice Bordeaux

Alternate a pint with a wank and i doubt many would get their units in a week.
I’m just an irregular drinker.

20 units at a time once every couple of months rather than every week.

Isn't that the worst thing you can do? That is quite a toxic amount in a small space of time for the Liver

The issue around this is dependence and addiction, do we all really believe we drink because we like it?

I listened to his interview about it by chance on 5live and that's the main point of the documentary.

f***ing hell.

Over the summer months I quite often nip off at lunchtime from work for two pints then wouldn't think twice about having a couple of glasses of wine with dinner on a night.

Those are the days I'd consider my "non drinking days" as well.
Wtf do you do for a living if you think it’s ok to nip away for a couple of pints at bait time .?

You have an issue with drink mate if you think this is ok .Seek help .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back