Adrian Chiles - Drinkers Like Me

Over last ten years drinking in house has dwindled to virtually zero. Social drinking is done in the pub/bars. I still get very pissed occasionally but the occasions are getting further apart.

BBC2 9pm next monday.

Apparently he regularly necks 80-100 units a week and is told he is at serious risk of liver conditions unless he cuts it down. 100 units week is going some mind, that's 10 bottles of wine or 50 pints a week. Doubt I would drink that in a month let alone a week.

Is this normal?

A bottle of wine a day plus a couple extra on weekends. Only 3x 250ml glasses I suppose.

I don’t drink at all so wouldn’t know if it’s normal but I can see how it can be easily done.

It wasn't really though was it? Since I watched it i've basically adopted his way of life – pub at half 5 every day for 3-4 pints then home for dinner. Lovely stuff.
It's an eye opener in respect to the fact you don't realise your 'over doing it'.

Cause your not drinking on a morning or drinking to get drunk.
It's the unit intakes throughout the day/week.

They will change the recommended amounts again anyway so just crack on. Plus, everyone is different, some people have died off one E yet we all used to double drop several times over a weekend.

Probably about the same amount of units for me and been like this for the past 3-4 years and I have no health problems or any other drink related problems apart from talking shite on here sometimes if I'm smashed. I did a full health check up at the docs and I'm quite fit and healthy. I must add that I'm 6" 1 and built like a shit house, a little skinny guy might not be able to handle the drink I can.
It takes time but it catches up in the end. I have always been a moderate drinker, till I started to have joint problems. Scans showed it wasn’t alcohol related but I have cut down to three glasses of wine twice a week. I have to say I feel better for it, sleep like a baby, blood pressure perfect, eye pressure perfect, bloods very good. Still have knackered knees, a fractured spine that I cope with and a badly healed fractured pelvis that was missed a year ago. Other than that I’m brand new.

BBC2 9pm next monday.

Apparently he regularly necks 80-100 units a week and is told he is at serious risk of liver conditions unless he cuts it down. 100 units week is going some mind, that's 10 bottles of wine or 50 pints a week. Doubt I would drink that in a month let alone a week.

Is this normal?
I’ve probably had that amount this week on holiday and I feel f***ing terrible. How anyone can keep it up long term is beyond me...

Still going to have one last piss up tonight like to finish off...

It wasn't really though was it? Since I watched it i've basically adopted his way of life – pub at half 5 every day for 3-4 pints then home for dinner. Lovely stuff.
hang on. what actually is the crack here? are we saying that a couple/few pints after work 2/3 times a week is bad? as long as you go to work, pay your rent and bills and have a good time, what exactly is the issue?

Would you consider yourself in shape or healthy?
Well I'm 6ft 6 and around 19-20 stone, so not exactly in shape, although I do weights most days and cycle around 50 miles a week (weather permitting), I have a bit of a belly but everywhere else is solid. I'd say I'm pretty healthy but could do with losing a bit around the middle :confused:

That's 4% beer.
At 5% it comes down to 36 pints a week / 5 pints a day.
14% wine, that's 29 large glasses a week

2 pints a day, and 2 large glasses of wine is perfectly do-able - you can see why its dead easy to fall into that trap.

It's 2.5 one litre bottles of vodka, whisky, brandy or rum. That's about seven large vodkas per day, which isn't outrageous by any means.

Back