Abdoullah Ba

he came in having played a fair bit CM for his country, so our excellent coaching team and Dof say ''I know then, Left back it is for you Callum lad!!''

You can see Dodds and co this season have tried to be too clever on numerous occasions

atm we would sign Scholes and Dodds would put him as a sweeper
Think Scholes would have been a great sweeper, although he was a terrible tackler!

That’s a bit of a daft argument mind, Ba has scored some excellent goals for us.

The reality is, Roberts’ form this season echoes the rest of his career a lot closer than the good form he showed alongside Diallo. He’s 27 and for all his ability, has simply failed to show any consistency at a decent level throughout his career.
It's not a daft argument really? Roberts is technically a better footballer. Consistency is an issue for both of them but I still think Roberts is clearly a better footballer.

It's not a daft argument really? Roberts is technically a better footballer. Consistency is an issue for both of them but I still think Roberts is clearly a better footballer.
The goals you mentioned, pretty much any professional footballer is capable of man, so yes it is.

The Reading goals especially were nothing special, he cut inside and was given far too much space on his only foot, good finishes but hardly the sort of thing any professional wouldn’t be capable of.

I don’t think anyone would argue Roberts doesn’t have more talent. The problem is, he’s failed to get the best out of it throughout his career.

They’re both inconsistent, Ba has the excuse of being 20 and adapting to a new country. Roberts doesn’t, he should be at the peak of his powers and he simply isn’t and likely never will reach the level he should have.

I can see why they have him on the wing, he has the raw attributes to play there, but there's a lot of work that needs to be done if we want him to be a Championship level winger IMO.

He's been a big contributor to our often slow and cautious play. He likes to slow things down, and doesn't progress the ball forward enough. A winger cannot go backwards or sideways as much as he does and be successful. Sometimes he has space in front of him and doesn't drive into it. He's nowhere near direct enough.

He can get there, but the club are going to have to work at it and give him time. In hindsight I think he'd have been suited to a League 1 loan this season. A part of me expects him to end up back in France and playing more centrally again.

I know people love to quote the goals/assists stat line, but I'm not sure how anyone who has watched him and Roberts this season can think Ba is the better winger tbh.
The directness is a confidence thing, he's scored and assists only to be dropped. He makes a couple of mistakes and disappears from the squad, comes back gets a goal and is dropped again. He must be overthinking everything worried that it'll be the mistake that gets him benched or dropped all together. Hardly a good environment to develop in.

Its the same with the striker merry-go-round. I know Rusyn is injured now but he scored a while ago and was dropped the next game, same with Burtsow. Its utter madness.

I'm still struggling to figure out which is his best foot. Play him on the right and he cuts in on his left and loses possession. Play him on the left and he cuts in on his right and loses possession.

As others have said - he's chod.
Isn’t it staggering to think none of the staff seem to know what Ba’s best playing strengths, if any, are? Where have these players come from? What are their family, sibling, educational, social playing backgrounds? Who has collected statistics on them and how have they been used? We seem to be taking chances on youngsters almost at random at times or we perhaps think we have a magic wand to achieve what other Football Academies have failed to do.

The goals you mentioned, pretty much any professional footballer is capable of man, so yes it is.

The Reading goals especially were nothing special, he cut inside and was given far too much space on his only foot, good finishes but hardly the sort of thing any professional wouldn’t be capable of.

I don’t think anyone would argue Roberts doesn’t have more talent. The problem is, he’s failed to get the best out of it throughout his career.

They’re both inconsistent, Ba has the excuse of being 20 and adapting to a new country. Roberts doesn’t, he should be at the peak of his powers and he simply isn’t and likely never will reach the level he should have.

You reckon pretty much any professional footballer finds the top corner from there?? :lol: :lol: :lol: I could name thousands who couldn't man.

Isn’t it staggering to think none of the staff seem to know what Ba’s best playing strengths, if any, are? Where have these players come from? What are their family, sibling, educational, social playing backgrounds? Who has collected statistics on them and how have they been used? We seem to be taking chances on youngsters almost at random at times or we perhaps think we have a magic wand to achieve what other Football Academies have failed to do.

Absolutely. Triantis went to Scotland, was a clown in the centre of defence (the only position we ever played him) and within a couple of weeks, he's doing well in defensive midfield, a position where we are desperately short. How the hell could none of these indispensable coaches at SAFC see what it took Hibs coaches a couple of weeks to identify? They haven't got a clue.

You reckon pretty much any professional footballer finds the top corner from there?? :lol: :lol: :lol: I could name thousands who couldn't man.
As a one off? Absolutely. If he was doing it regularly you might have an argument. It’s a brilliant goal, but it’s a one off.

You have to have a ridiculous amount of talent to make it as a professional in general. 99 out of 100 hundred attempts it doesn’t result in a goal but most have the ability to do it. As much as people love to say how shit most footballers are, the average bloke can’t comprehend the levels of ability it requires to make it to even league 2 standard.

Back