A question about jam on toast

No butter - just jam.

What about cheese on toast? We had this discussion when my eldest was here last weekend.

I toast the bread as normal and then put the cheese on and grill it just until the cheese melts. I like it so the toast is crunchy all the way through.

He puts the cheese on bread and then toasts it under the grill until the cheese melts and the edges of the bread are toasted but the bread is still soft in the middle.

What's your preference?
Exactly this.

I drew it all by myself in MS Paint. There was a better one (which I printed on a canvas and sent him for his birthday) but I couldn't find it. We used to be so in love but now I'm just downing in wet distance.

I’ve seen the one you sent him

He had it on his desk

So much love

Give over man. The stuff you eat is drier than those ham sarnies the Christmas monster posted the other day.

Your mouth must be dry as sticks

Toast until it's hard enough not to get squashed when you butter it, but not too hard or black either. Whip it straight out the toaster and butter as quickly as possible so it melts in with reasonably generous amounts of butter (trial and error applies here). You want enough butter to soften the toast and really give it that buttery feeling, but not so much it sits on the surface like a pool of fat. Then either strawberry jam (with whole strawberries in it) or thick cut marmalade slavered generously on top so it forms a layer an inch or two thick. Gorgeous!

Enjoy the moment. Enjoy your food. If you die early, at least you'll have enjoyed life's pleasures. Better than depriving yourself into a bland and tedious old age when you'll be a physical wreck either way.
Fair points but I don’t need butter on bread or toast that has fried eggs and/or bacon on.

Back