A few call centre secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would share stories and reveal some secrets you may not know.

I am not saying this is right at all, I am just going to show you what I have witnessed behind the scenes.....

- Managers tell advisors to put you on hold for them to rake through your account/service and try to identify something to sell to you. Wasting time out of your day. You may have rang up for a balance which should take 10 seconds but they put you on hold for 2 mins pretending system problems and then try to sell you a loan etc

- The less availability for a loan/rich you are determines who you get through to, whether its a lower ranked advisor or India etc

- People are regularly playing on their phones while talking to you, you just cant see it because its not face to face

- You get cut off regularly if making a complaint because they are heavily regulated by the bank, its best to hang up on someone early in a call than risk leaving footprints on a complaint which you can fail by simply not crossing an I or dotting a T kind of thing.

- Some workers are so crafty they can speak in a pattern that sounds like the reception is breaking up and almost going through a tunnel. This is used when a long conversation is going to be needed without chance of making a sale

- When wanting to speak to a manager, the actual person your speaking to is normally more clued up than the manager. The majority of managers are just there to do admin or try to sack/manage out employees on higher managers instructions

- Calls are sometimes so back to back with very little breaks allowed that many people will put you on hold making a 10 second task seem like a 5 minute one. Whilst on hold they read the daily mail with the task already complete whilst your sitting waiting

These are just a few things I have witnessed, some of the things I dare not even repeat
I did a couple of part time call centre jobs and my favourite trick was tapping the end of my mic until they say "it's a bad line,i'll ring back". If they were on an unjustified rant I'd just take the headset off and say yes now and again. If they were an absolute twat I would just conveniently not process their order or deliberately order the wrong size etc. Wasn't really designed for the old call centre bollox to be fair

When I worked in outbound sales I spent half my shift listening to the talking clock. Or if there was an answer machine just stay connected until it cut off.

On inbound when someone asked to speak with a manager they were passed to the nearest person not on another call

Thought I would share stories and reveal some secrets you may not know.

I am not saying this is right at all, I am just going to show you what I have witnessed behind the scenes.....

- Managers tell advisors to put you on hold for them to rake through your account/service and try to identify something to sell to you. Wasting time out of your day. You may have rang up for a balance which should take 10 seconds but they put you on hold for 2 mins pretending system problems and then try to sell you a loan etc

- The less availability for a loan/rich you are determines who you get through to, whether its a lower ranked advisor or India etc

- People are regularly playing on their phones while talking to you, you just cant see it because its not face to face

- You get cut off regularly if making a complaint because they are heavily regulated by the bank, its best to hang up on someone early in a call than risk leaving footprints on a complaint which you can fail by simply not crossing an I or dotting a T kind of thing.

- Some workers are so crafty they can speak in a pattern that sounds like the reception is breaking up and almost going through a tunnel. This is used when a long conversation is going to be needed without chance of making a sale

- When wanting to speak to a manager, the actual person your speaking to is normally more clued up than the manager. The majority of managers are just there to do admin or try to sack/manage out employees on higher managers instructions

- Calls are sometimes so back to back with very little breaks allowed that many people will put you on hold making a 10 second task seem like a 5 minute one. Whilst on hold they read the daily mail with the task already complete whilst your sitting waiting

These are just a few things I have witnessed, some of the things I dare not even repeat

Do many call centres go through tunnels?

When someone was kicking off asking to speak to a manager we used to take turns swapping calls and pretending we were the manager. Oh the joy we had!

Mortgage paid and no debt.

They said they'd employed a debt collector to retrieve the money. When I checked the company they'd supposedly employed it was part of 3 group :lol: I actually wanted to go to court so I could claim back the money I'd billed them for for all of my wasted time. I'd try to cancel the contract three times and they hung up on me. I was on for 45 minutes the final time and I even told the operator not to hang up on me. They did :evil: As far as I was concerned they were in breach of contract.

You sound like a right nobhead like.

Didn't happen when I worked in one and I was there 9 year.
Well you must not have worked in the bank contact centre I did then.

I did a couple of part time call centre jobs and my favourite trick was tapping the end of my mic until they say "it's a bad line,i'll ring back". If they were on an unjustified rant I'd just take the headset off and say yes now and again. If they were an absolute twat I would just conveniently not process their order or deliberately order the wrong size etc. Wasn't really designed for the old call centre bollox to be fair
:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back