A few call centre secrets

Worked in a couple of call centres when i was younger, including Barclays as mentioned by OP. Everything he said is not only true, but pretty common.

The place as far as call centres go was alright for me. I earned good money as a student and it was a job I could forget about when I left for the night. That said, middle management were as has been said many times in this thread often absolute scum and it was very much a who you know rather than what you know system to be promoted.

I also saw the OP later mention Barclays being banned from the SOL for Xmas parties. I was at said party they were banned for, as I was also at the party they were banned from the year before at the Quayside Exchange. The one at the SOL was hell on, 3 people were sacked the day after for being caught snorting sniff in the bathrooms. One of whom was the son of a manager. I sat next to one of said 3 lads and still occasionally bump into him around town.

I work at Barclays like, if my TL saw me on me phone she’d pull my throat out, not once has she told me to put someone on hold to look around their account for a loan or anything of the sort, we’ve been trained to offer where appropriate. Certainly never seen a colleague take over a manager call that wasn’t a TL or above.
It was rife and very common place for years unless it has stopped since I left last year. Infact come to think of it I have a load of mates from there and send me pics from the floor on whatsapp etc, so it still goes on, you probably have a strict TL. Keep an eye out for the snakes in there and female managers, they are absolute idiots :lol:

What department? I also work there :lol:
What department do you work in? I worked in CCST or whatever it was called, we do not get paid bonus per sale but do not hit your loan targets etc and can go on a plan :lol:

It was rife and very common place for years unless it has stopped since I left last year. Infact come to think of it I have a load of mates from there and send me pics from the floor on whatsapp etc, so it still goes on, you probably have a strict TL. Keep an eye out for the snakes in there and female managers, they are absolute idiots :lol:

What department do you work in? I worked in CCST or whatever it was called, we do not get paid bonus per sale but do not hit your loan targets etc and can go on a plan :lol:

Glad I'm done working in them me like hated them when younger, especially if you had a bellend for a TL and no banter on the team.

Some ones have been a good laugh with having good crack on the team so wasn't as mind numbing

Worked in a couple of call centres when i was younger, including Barclays as mentioned by OP. Everything he said is not only true, but pretty common.

The place as far as call centres go was alright for me. I earned good money as a student and it was a job I could forget about when I left for the night. That said, middle management were as has been said many times in this thread often absolute scum and it was very much a who you know rather than what you know system to be promoted.

I also saw the OP later mention Barclays being banned from the SOL for Xmas parties. I was at said party they were banned for, as I was also at the party they were banned from the year before at the Quayside Exchange. The one at the SOL was hell on, 3 people were sacked the day after for being caught snorting sniff in the bathrooms. One of whom was the son of a manager. I sat next to one of said 3 lads and still occasionally bump into him around town.
100% agree. There is a lass I knew previous to that place, ''thick charver'' is best way I can describe her, but she became friends with a senior manager and went on holiday with her, she is now a B5 apparently :lol:

Regarding the party, I bucked the lass who got bucked on the sink at party at the following year's christmas party :lol:

Glad I'm done working in them me like hated them when younger, especially if you had a bellend for a TL and no banter on the team.

Some ones have been a good laugh with having good crack on the team so wasn't as mind numbing
The word ''nepotism'' is the absolute biggest problem with those places, mates of managers who are thick as the day is long, are given responsibility and put in charge of people's lives. There was one lass manager who took pleasure in trying to get people sacked, some of the people she tried to sack were people with families and houses to pay for.

Last edited:
100% agree. There is a lass I knew previous to that place, ''thick charver'' is best way I can describe her, but she became friends with a senior manager and went on holiday with her, she is now a B5 apparently :lol:

Regarding the party, I bucked the lass who got bucked on the sink at party at the following year's christmas party :lol:

The word ''nepotism'' is the absolute biggest problem with those places, mates of managers who are thick as the day is long, are given responsibility and put in charge of people's lives. There was one lass manager who took pleasure in trying to get people sacked, some of the people she tried to sack were people with families and houses to pay for.

Full of snakes who think they've made it as youngish and middle management not even on a decent wage.

Up their own arse wankers most but still get few canny ones just luck of the draw which one you get lol

Full of snakes who think they've made it as youngish and middle management not even on a decent wage.

Up their own arse wankers most but still get few canny ones just luck of the draw which one you get lol
Absolutely mate. As much as a big criticism of mine was the amount of thick young lasses given manager jobs, it was nothing personal but just an accurate description of majority. There were one or two who were young lasses that were actually good. One of my last team leaders was a lass about a year younger than me, and she was trememdous, really down to earth and knew how to manage humans rather than just look to use power they have over people's livelyhoods to avenge the bullying they got as children.

I worked with that lad and his mam up until 2006 when I left Barclays. Seemed a good kid, but used to get in some right clips.

What you say is spot on about managers. Cocaine is a huge problem in contact centres. There are those I've worked in where certain advisors have had managers by the pocket through it, and as such were untouchable. Each to their own but I f***ing hated seeing people who were shite at the job being treat like royalty because they're connected.

Absolutely mate. As much as a big criticism of mine was the amount of thick young lasses given manager jobs, it was nothing personal but just an accurate description of majority. There were one or two who were young lasses that were actually good. One of my last team leaders was a lass about a year younger than me, and she was trememdous, really down to earth and knew how to manage humans rather than just look to use power they have over people's livelyhoods to avenge the bullying they got as children.

Proper slags too, slept there way into the position. Loads of bitchy gays too, nowt against gay people like just the bitchy ones were annoying.

So two faced and always complaining about someone or something usually to a fat friend.

Proper slags too, slept there way into the position. Loads of bitchy gays too, nowt against gay people like just the bitchy ones were annoying.

So two faced and always complaining about someone or something usually to a fat friend.
I agree, hard to articulate things via a forum without sounding like neanderthals but that is what the place is like, lots of bitchy gays, women etc. The problem with those places is they get you at a young age when getting a second job when at uni (like me), then before you know it you are used to the money and believing in their ideology. Lots of people wake up, but some are not clever enough to ever wisen up. A woman I worked with was celebrating the other week on facebook, saying how all her hard work is worth it and loves the company she works for. The lady in question is effectively a receptionist, but someone made a card and it wrote ''to xxxxxx, thanks for going the extra mile''. It is quite sad to think that a near 40 year old is celebrating what is the adult version of a gold sticker given to you by a teacher for tidying your pencil case at the end of the day.

Back