A cautionary tale for upcoming clubs ...

Too many clubs are chasing shadows.
A fair few had a crack at spending big until they realised that spending big also comes with paying out big wage packets...and to players that soon become over expectant for delivering less than they promised.

The only real way to compete is to juggle your own squad and ensure you don't break budgets. Now when I say, compete, I mean competing against the best of the rest outside of the biased elite over a course of a season...because that's what we're dealing with, whichever club manages to make it into the also ran league.

Most clubs can have a crack at going gung ho with TV money and most clubs then have to play a juggling act when they try and fail to get past a flirt with the top 7 or so and then slip.

What you see is a lot of yoyo's. A lot of clubs that almost take it in turns to be the next set of bottom feeders after a mid table feast, to then spend time in another league, then back up to start again.

Most clubs do not get the chance to have big spend contingency plans and this is why those who do, stay at the top, even if they appear to lose out by paying mammoth transfer fees and wages to players that simply have attitude not befitting the club they're at. Man Utd are a prime example of that.
The thing with Man Utd is, they can go again and again when things don't go right. Bin a manager and get in another. Most managers will jump at the chance...not just because its Man utd but also because they do not have to follow an immediate successful pattern because that was destroyed when Ferguson cleverly backed away after leaving a squad of, almost pensioners (cough)...(and disillusioned one's at that, in some cases) to Moyes, who could not win in terms of beginning to assemble a Ferguson type heyday squad but also could not lose in terms of being set up for life, wages wise.

In a twisted sort of way, it appears Ferguson deliberately sabotaged that squad to ensure nobody takes away his limelight.

Anyway, if any club wants to play among the elites, they have to have an owner that can waste as much money as needed and pay as much wages as required, then fail and do it all again as if nothing is amiss. And only then will any owner get to a stage where his club can compete.
Man City are a prime example of that and look where they are now.

But let's not kid ourselves.
The Man City types breed expectation. There's no more hope and excitement for most. It's about win win win or else you'll suffer our wrath.
I know many people would likely say " yeah but I'd be happy with that if we could be up there and win trophies."
Aye, it is appealing....but for how long under that guise?

Other fans calling those clubs plastic clubs with plastic fans. In a way it's fairly true and it does kill off the ordinary working class fan who generally get priced out of the bought success.

Many Newcastle fans despise Mike Ashley. I actually like the bloke. He's the best thing to happen to Newcastle for a long time. Why?
Because he's kept it real. He's kept it as a bonafide fans club and he is not for being bullied by fans or by other big clubs.
And he will only spend what he can afford whilst also having a back up contingency plan.

The man is hated to high heaven for that and everything else that's come off it..as if he's the only businessman in the world that does underhand stuff and tells porkies.
I want better for Newcastle United but I only want it if we earn it..and mercenaries demanding £200,000/250,000...etc, a week to win your a trophy or two and then basically go into pet lip mode, wanting bigger salaries or refusing to play to their potential or wanting out and upsetting the applecart. Nahhhhhhh.
As much as the football can be better, I think most clubs actually lose their real identity and like I said, the real fans get priced out in favour of expectant audience.

I mean think about it. A manager like Guardiola having to seduce his own fans into taking part in watching champions league games. If there's ever one thing to show what buying into elites does, it's stuff like this.

I've seen enough bad times at Newcastle and enough good and indifferent times to understand that it's not generally about being successful, it's literally about the hope of being successful at something and getting a bit of it, even if it's a flirt with a final or a lower league title win.
When we won the title against Brighton in the championship, I couldn't have mustered any more excitement than if we'd won the European cup or the premier league.

Football is all about the aftermath of a game and then the hope for the following game. The end product is for the despairs and joys of no success, near success or success, respectively, whether it's a win against a team you almost expected to win but didn't dare predict for fear of scudding it to beating a team you begged to defeat but worried about your team managing it.

It's all about hope, whether you're in non-league or premier league.

Four things to look at when you're a football fan (as an instance, for me).

1. Never give up hope, no matter what; however low you think you can go, because out of bad always comes good.

2. Alway try and look for the positives to blanket cover any negatives and if you can't, then blank your mind ready for the next go.

3. Always give your honest opinion no matter if it differs from the majority. Your game is not someone else's game because your mindset does not always see the exact same game as the next person, because none of you are looking through anyone else's eyes at all particular going's on, on that pitch or in your club....etc.
And also, majority is not a word for absolute fact.

4. Always laugh in your darkest hour.

No idea who you are but you're far too erudite to be a Mag.

C'mon... own up.

(Seriously, couldn't agree more with what you say, though).

Too many clubs are chasing shadows.
A fair few had a crack at spending big until they realised that spending big also comes with paying out big wage packets...and to players that soon become over expectant for delivering less than they promised.

The only real way to compete is to juggle your own squad and ensure you don't break budgets. Now when I say, compete, I mean competing against the best of the rest outside of the biased elite over a course of a season...because that's what we're dealing with, whichever club manages to make it into the also ran league.

Most clubs can have a crack at going gung ho with TV money and most clubs then have to play a juggling act when they try and fail to get past a flirt with the top 7 or so and then slip.

What you see is a lot of yoyo's. A lot of clubs that almost take it in turns to be the next set of bottom feeders after a mid table feast, to then spend time in another league, then back up to start again.

Most clubs do not get the chance to have big spend contingency plans and this is why those who do, stay at the top, even if they appear to lose out by paying mammoth transfer fees and wages to players that simply have attitude not befitting the club they're at. Man Utd are a prime example of that.
The thing with Man Utd is, they can go again and again when things don't go right. Bin a manager and get in another. Most managers will jump at the chance...not just because its Man utd but also because they do not have to follow an immediate successful pattern because that was destroyed when Ferguson cleverly backed away after leaving a squad of, almost pensioners (cough)...(and disillusioned one's at that, in some cases) to Moyes, who could not win in terms of beginning to assemble a Ferguson type heyday squad but also could not lose in terms of being set up for life, wages wise.

In a twisted sort of way, it appears Ferguson deliberately sabotaged that squad to ensure nobody takes away his limelight.

Anyway, if any club wants to play among the elites, they have to have an owner that can waste as much money as needed and pay as much wages as required, then fail and do it all again as if nothing is amiss. And only then will any owner get to a stage where his club can compete.
Man City are a prime example of that and look where they are now.

But let's not kid ourselves.
The Man City types breed expectation. There's no more hope and excitement for most. It's about win win win or else you'll suffer our wrath.
I know many people would likely say " yeah but I'd be happy with that if we could be up there and win trophies."
Aye, it is appealing....but for how long under that guise?

Other fans calling those clubs plastic clubs with plastic fans. In a way it's fairly true and it does kill off the ordinary working class fan who generally get priced out of the bought success.

Many Newcastle fans despise Mike Ashley. I actually like the bloke. He's the best thing to happen to Newcastle for a long time. Why?
Because he's kept it real. He's kept it as a bonafide fans club and he is not for being bullied by fans or by other big clubs.
And he will only spend what he can afford whilst also having a back up contingency plan.

The man is hated to high heaven for that and everything else that's come off it..as if he's the only businessman in the world that does underhand stuff and tells porkies.
I want better for Newcastle United but I only want it if we earn it..and mercenaries demanding £200,000/250,000...etc, a week to win your a trophy or two and then basically go into pet lip mode, wanting bigger salaries or refusing to play to their potential or wanting out and upsetting the applecart. Nahhhhhhh.
As much as the football can be better, I think most clubs actually lose their real identity and like I said, the real fans get priced out in favour of expectant audience.

I mean think about it. A manager like Guardiola having to seduce his own fans into taking part in watching champions league games. If there's ever one thing to show what buying into elites does, it's stuff like this.

I've seen enough bad times at Newcastle and enough good and indifferent times to understand that it's not generally about being successful, it's literally about the hope of being successful at something and getting a bit of it, even if it's a flirt with a final or a lower league title win.
When we won the title against Brighton in the championship, I couldn't have mustered any more excitement than if we'd won the European cup or the premier league.

Football is all about the aftermath of a game and then the hope for the following game. The end product is for the despairs and joys of no success, near success or success, respectively, whether it's a win against a team you almost expected to win but didn't dare predict for fear of scudding it to beating a team you begged to defeat but worried about your team managing it.

It's all about hope, whether you're in non-league or premier league.

Four things to look at when you're a football fan (as an instance, for me).

1. Never give up hope, no matter what; however low you think you can go, because out of bad always comes good.

2. Alway try and look for the positives to blanket cover any negatives and if you can't, then blank your mind ready for the next go.

3. Always give your honest opinion no matter if it differs from the majority. Your game is not someone else's game because your mindset does not always see the exact same game as the next person, because none of you are looking through anyone else's eyes at all particular going's on, on that pitch or in your club....etc.
And also, majority is not a word for absolute fact.

4. Always laugh in your darkest hour.

Cracking post mate 100% spot on.

You must be the most intelligent mag posters that's been on here just a shame about the flat earth stuff but that's another subject :lol:

As said before 100% agree with your post especially the bit about the hope of being successful i.e cup runs maybe getting into Europe it's all part of the fun. Hopefully we will be back amongst it soon but can see it being a good few years yet.
Had a bit of a mare old Riv, made a right old nonsense of the investment/takeover carry on.

How is that?

He posted what he was told and it came off?

... and the difficulty of breaking into the elite.

They haven't broken into the elite and won't this season, currently 9 points off a relegation place.

Wolves are currently playing as if they're shot to pieces.

They were at that time, now they're not but they won't finish top 6.

They're 2 points off bottom and, if they lose to Watford, could quite easily be going into October propping up the table.

After the way everyone was invited to marvel at their 'model' it's chilling to see how easily it can all fall apart.

Of course it's early days but it'll be hurting the Wolves supporters to be below a Villa side they thought they'd left behind ...

... happily a Villa side that can put Newcastle in the bottom 3 on Monday.

"Of course it's early days."

Ah yes, my infamous claim that Wolves would definitely be relegated :confused:

FFS no wonder this board has gone to shit. This was a topic raised for discussion which is still the case. It was quite obviously deliberately provocative and tongue in cheek for that reason. Yet the same totally predictable bunch of losers don't want discussion, just the opportunity to snipe at people. As Hicks rightly says it's no big deal but does perfectly illustrate why so many people just can't be arsed to post thought provoking threads. Looking through todays litany of shite threads reminds me why I no longer bother.

Cheers to the good lads and Happy Christmas to you all ;)

Last edited:

Back