80s memories

"and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green":lol:

My first computer was a Commodore VIC 20 and if I'm not mistaken it came with a mighty 3.5k of RAM!

Beat me to it:evil::lol:

Growing up in the 1970s and 80s taught us all patience mind I think. Having a small portable black and white telly, with only three (or four) channels to choose from, and a coat hanger or twirly aerial.... well, by the time you found the programme you wanted to watch on your bed and got a decent aerial signal, the programme would have definitely been finished!

Those computer magazines in the 1980s that offered you chance to own a free game, so long as you willing to spend god knows how many hours typing it all in, and then having to go through all the code when you discovered it wouldn't work because you had typed in some line code wrong.

Oh and that game Barbarian (?) with Maria Whittaker on the cover lying next to the bloke from Gladiators 🤪

Those computer magazines in the 1980s that offered you chance to own a free game, so long as you willing to spend god knows how many hours typing it all in, and then having to go through all the code when you discovered it wouldn't work because you had typed in some line code wrong.
:lol: Tell me about it, and waiting half an hour for your game to load from cassette tape (praying) only to get that infamous but timeless message 'Load error Ready'!:neutral::evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nee Hobbit, Antattack, Arcadia, Daley Thompsons Decathlon?
So many omissions, no Horace games, JSW, Matchday2, Football Manager, Hyper Sports, World Series Baseball, Harrier Attack, Penetrator, Back to Skool, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Attic Attac, Pyjamarama.

The list could go on and on.

I’m sure Xbox/PS kids today can’t derive any more joy than we got from all those 48k gems. The excitement of buying a game at WH Smith’s, or the latest edition of C+VG. Happy days

Queuing for the ABC. My kids can’t believe it when we tell them we would queue for hours in the rain to see a film then sometimes not get in. Can remember Tony Bonehead in his purple blazer counting down the queue then telling the unlucky people behind it was full. The tension as he counted towards you was palpable!!
I was the first in the queue out of my mates to see ghostbusters. The gadgie waved me in then blocked everyone after me. Turns out I was the last bod allowed in. I was going to go back out but thought ah fuck them, I was clamming to see it and they’d probably just go on like dicks anyway :lol:

I was the first in the queue out of my mates to see ghostbusters. The gadgie waved me in then blocked everyone after me. Turns out I was the last bod allowed in. I was going to go back out but thought ah fuck them, I was clamming to see it and they’d probably just go on like dicks anyway :lol:
i still remember getting knocked back from fairworld in concord, to see flash gordon. remember it like yesterday.

Nope. The 80s were a blur. Apparently I got married and divorced but I wouldn’t recognize my first wife if she bumped into me in the street.

I used to have 2 or 3 women on the go at the same time, when they all bumped into each other in the pub I’d just dump the lot and start again.

That’s pretty much all I remember

Sunday teatime. My Mam was out at choir practice at the Church and I used to watch Supergran then Bullseye with my Dad with something like a corned beef sarnie or toast toppers for tea.

Naaah, Sunday teatime was Captain Scarlet on Itv or Last of the Mohicans/Tom Brownes schooldays or Anne of Green Gables on the Beeb.

Started the 80s with a Commodore 64, finished with an Amiga
Manic Miner, Pitstop 2, Ghostbusters, Graham Goochs Test Cricket, 4th and Inches,
Wagging school
The arcade at Tynemouth Plaza
The fire at Tynemouth Plaza
BMX Bikes, Raleigh Aero Burner and Kuwahara Lazerlight. Building Jumps with bricks and wood.
Hip Hop, Doing Graffiti on the Metro Lines and Breakdancing in the street with lino
Ghetto Blasters
Top Trumps
10p mix ups
1/2 pence Black Jacks and Mojos
American Football on Channel 4
Collecting mini plastic NFL helmets
Trans World sport on Saturday mornings
Subbuteo
Collecting Panini Stickers, Garbage Pail Kids Stickers and Star Wars Figures
Spain 82 & Mexico 86
Eder, Zico, Socrates, Junior, Falcao
Field Trips with the school
Buying cigarettes from the ice cream man
Buying knock-off Pringle & Niff Naff clothes from dodgy family over the road
Starting the decade and 8yo virgin and finishing it a 18 yo obsessed with sex, but not getting as much as i wanted
Setting up my first Griffin Savers Bank account at Midland Bank
Finding dirty mags in bushes
White dog shit
Roker Park and the Roker End getting cut in half
Gary Rowell, Stan Cummins, Nick Pickering, Shaun Elliott
The Milk Cup run in 85, Heroes and Villains Colin West, Chris Turner, Clive Walker & David Corner and getting attacked by Chelsea fans
The best kids TV - Rainbow, Transformers, Dungeons and Dragons, Bagpuss, Touche Turtle, Hong Kong Phooey, Inch High Private Eye, Scooby Doo, Dr Snuggles, He-Man
Getting absolutely paralytic for the first time on holiday with mam & dad in Majorca 1986
Punk Rock, New Romantics, Synth Pop, Rap, Indie, Madchester and the Hacienda.

Looking forward to the odd football game in normal telly, felt like something special getting to watch footy in TV unlike today where we get overloaded with it. Getting back from my aunties on a Sunday going in the bath then watching ateam and blockbuster before getting ready for bed and school the next day. Happiest times of my life looking back now.

Started the 80s with a Commodore 64, finished with an Amiga
Manic Miner, Pitstop 2, Ghostbusters, Graham Goochs Test Cricket, 4th and Inches,
Wagging school
The arcade at Tynemouth Plaza
The fire at Tynemouth Plaza
BMX Bikes, Raleigh Aero Burner and Kuwahara Lazerlight. Building Jumps with bricks and wood.
Hip Hop, Doing Graffiti on the Metro Lines and Breakdancing in the street with lino
Ghetto Blasters
Top Trumps
10p mix ups
1/2 pence Black Jacks and Mojos
American Football on Channel 4
Collecting mini plastic NFL helmets
Trans World sport on Saturday mornings
Subbuteo
Collecting Panini Stickers, Garbage Pail Kids Stickers and Star Wars Figures
Spain 82 & Mexico 86
Eder, Zico, Socrates, Junior, Falcao
Field Trips with the school
Buying cigarettes from the ice cream man
Buying knock-off Pringle & Niff Naff clothes from dodgy family over the road
Starting the decade and 8yo virgin and finishing it a 18 yo obsessed with sex, but not getting as much as i wanted
Setting up my first Griffin Savers Bank account at Midland Bank
Finding dirty mags in bushes
White dog shit
Roker Park and the Roker End getting cut in half
Gary Rowell, Stan Cummins, Nick Pickering, Shaun Elliott
The Milk Cup run in 85, Heroes and Villains Colin West, Chris Turner, Clive Walker & David Corner and getting attacked by Chelsea fans
The best kids TV - Rainbow, Transformers, Dungeons and Dragons, Bagpuss, Touche Turtle, Hong Kong Phooey, Inch High Private Eye, Scooby Doo, Dr Snuggles, He-Man
Getting absolutely paralytic for the first time on holiday with mam & dad in Majorca 1986
Punk Rock, New Romantics, Synth Pop, Rap, Indie, Madchester and the Hacienda.
Plastic American footy helmets!!

:lol: Tell me about it, and waiting half an hour for your game to load from cassette tape (praying) only to get that infamous but timeless message 'Load error Ready'!:neutral::evil:

And the occasional 'copied' game where the volume had to be at a very specific level or it screwed up :lol:
Mexico 86 Panini Sticker Album was my "peak" panini experience. was all downhill after that.

Was that the one that had the players printed on plastic ?

Last edited:
And the occasional 'copied' game where the volume had to be at a very specific level or it screwed up :lol:
Oh I remember that, at the computer club at Rock House in Seaham you often couldn't hear yourself think with all this going on left right and centre, happy days man:lol:

Back