6music

The Huey show is fantastic, really like Lauren Laverne and Shaun Keaveney too. Mary Anne Hobbs plays some absolute tosh at times but the Friday mixes at 12 on a Friday are top draw. The Mike Skinner one a few years back was fantastic. Her voice really grates on me to. Sounds like professor Brian Cox. Really like Radcliffe and Marconi too. Great station.
You're bang on about the resemblance to the Physics boffin. Bizarre really as I don’t mind him talking and that but she violently boils me effluent. That's without the tripe she insists on playing most of the time. The couple of times lately when the whole station has had an all day theme on the go or the special celebration playlists (like the 808 one recently) were superb though. I think better music must increase my tolerance of her over smiley niceness.

Mary Anne Hobbs, Tom Ravenscroft, Cerys, Giles Peterson are all much better.

Craig Charles was head and shoulders when he took his spot last lockdown.

lamacq is a good bloke I’m sure but he’s still stuck in his time warp playing Elastica and other rank 1990s Indy bands.
CC is class when he fills in for the others.

Huey and Shaun Keaveny are a good listen, can't stand Mary Anne Hobbs's voice, and she plays far too much techno. Also like Guy Garvey, but he's occasionally up his own arse.

lamacq is a good bloke I’m sure but he’s still stuck in his time warp playing Elastica and other rank 1990s Indy bands.
Went to the Bingley festival a couple years ago and was really looking forward to Craig Charles on the Saturday afternoon. The twat forgot to bring his decs 😂

Him an Huey on a Saturday are superb.

CC is class when he fills in for the others.

him taking over the Lamacq spot during lockdown was superb. I’m not embarrassed to say I got a lot out of it at a worrying time.
His trunk of punk / songs in the key(workers) of life and his general upbeat humour was a great tonic.
I don’t really listen to his Saturday show as I’m not into funk and soul but hes a superb broadcaster.

was that in the last four weeks? ie. its still on the sounds app?

Probably longer than that. Think it was around late January.

Probably gets a kick back when he plays them. iirc he part owned the record label they were signed to. They were a pretty big deal at one point aswell, I bet they made him a nice earner.

Last edited:
Agreed and seems a nice bloke...but I find the music he plays on a Saturday night is a bit cheesy.
I like most of it but he's defintely better when filling for other people. He plays a wider range of music, he knows his stuff as well.
him taking over the Lamacq spot during lockdown was superb. I’m not embarrassed to say I got a lot out of it at a worrying time.
His trunk of punk / songs in the key(workers) of life and his general upbeat humour was a great tonic.
I don’t really listen to his Saturday show as I’m not into funk and soul but hes a superb broadcaster.
He's a good listen. It was a pleasant surprise when I caught on that he was on that show.
He even makes Steve Wrights show enjoyable on radio 2, when he slots in.
That's no shock. :lol:
I'm struggling to think of anything that wouldn't be better than The Steve Wright Show.

Last edited:
how? my only way of hearing new music is either recommended by mates (who i never see anymore to get into those conversations), on here, or 6music

my only worry is that by the time they get onto 6music, i hear there tune, remember to check their album out, like it, look up their tour dates, they've already toured the small venues and are too big to be considered cool anymore. always behind the times me

Spotify playlists (I'd presume similar will happen on other music platforms as well) are updated every Friday with new releases, you get updated playlists every day/every week with stuff they recommend for you based on your listening history, there's always the 'Fans of this artist also like...' pages full of similar artists as well. Then there's general music websites like Pitchfork, Consequence of Sound, Clash and DIY that review albums, songs, have news updated every day about upcoming releases or stories in music, interviews with artists, articles like 'spotlight on *insert upcoming artist here!*'. Sites like AnyDecentMusic which have all recent albums released listed and ordered by the average rating they've received. Places that list every album that's getting released in upcoming weeks and months. If I hear a new small artist and I like a song, I'll always like their page on facebook so if they're releasing a new song, video, album or whatever I'll end up seeing it. It's the only reason I actually log on to facebook, I'd just use messenger if it wasn't for that.

The thread on here as you mention is fantastic as well, the amount of random electronic shite that @mad cyril will talk about that I'd have never found and loved is endless.

It’s not exactly taxing to stick the radio on whilst you’re in the car or whatever. It’s just another way of coming across something you might not have heard before.

Of course, but that's not really an answer to my question.

Not having a dig at 6Music or owt, it's the only UK radio channel I'd ever listen to on the very rare time I stick it on. Just think with the amount of stuff that you can find on the internet from so many different sources would be easier to find something you like than sticking on a radio channel and hearing 6/7 songs an hour that you may have already heard or might be from a genre you're not overly keen on.

Spotify playlists (I'd presume similar will happen on other music platforms as well) are updated every Friday with new releases, you get updated playlists every day/every week with stuff they recommend for you based on your listening history, there's always the 'Fans of this artist also like...' pages full of similar artists as well. Then there's general music websites like Pitchfork, Consequence of Sound, Clash and DIY that review albums, songs, have news updated every day about upcoming releases or stories in music, interviews with artists, articles like 'spotlight on *insert upcoming artist here!*'. Sites like AnyDecentMusic which have all recent albums released listed and ordered by the average rating they've received. Places that list every album that's getting released in upcoming weeks and months. If I hear a new small artist and I like a song, I'll always like their page on facebook so if they're releasing a new song, video, album or whatever I'll end up seeing it. It's the only reason I actually log on to facebook, I'd just use messenger if it wasn't for that.

The thread on here as you mention is fantastic as well, the amount of random electronic shite that @mad cyril will talk about that I'd have never found and loved is endless.

Of course, but that's not really an answer to my question.

Not having a dig at 6Music or owt, it's the only UK radio channel I'd ever listen to on the very rare time I stick it on. Just think with the amount of stuff that you can find on the internet from so many different sources would be easier to find something you like than sticking on a radio channel and hearing 6/7 songs an hour that you may have already heard or might be from a genre you're not overly keen on.
It can be easier if the first track you hear is something you’ve never come across before, though ;)

Currently drilling 13.5mm holes through 6mm stainless angle. I’m enjoying the noise far more than this mix. Get in the f***ing sea, Mary hobnobs.

Back