4 million children and 1.9 million pensioners living in poverty in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some councils give full council tax benefit meaning those receiving it dont pay anything. Your argument is contradictory. That its not covered by HB means by definition its not rent. Gentoos website states this.
Only to pensioners on the pension guarantee credit part, Gentoo's website says nothing of the sort, I've fully explained how it works you are either choosing not to understand or are on a wind up, either way Gentoo customers still have to pay a small amount of money into their rent account to cover water rates.

Eric showing himself up once again I see.
Aye it was me who started with the snide comments because I was wrong wasn't it ? :rolleyes:

Only to pensioners on the pension guarantee credit part, Gentoo's website says nothing of the sort, I've fully explained how it works you are either choosing not to understand or are on a wind up, either way Gentoo customers still have to pay a small amount of money into their rent account to cover water rates.

Aye it was me who started with the snide comments because I was wrong wasn't it ? :rolleyes:

Why would gentoo mention how a local tax down south works?

Its part of their overall payment but it contains more than one element. The water element isnt rent and as such is covered by HB. It really isnt hard to understand and think its you on the wind up

Last edited:
I never mentioned about councils not charging for water, i was referring to council tax. Youve been selective in missing off the bottom bit which states water AND service charge AND rent shown seperately.

Its classed as rent.....
...by your mate.

:lol: says he who has quite right wing views on the housing market and welcomed the thought of youngsters being priced out.
Really?

its how you define poverty isnt it..
This. I know there are genuine cases but many "in poverty" or "driven to use food banks" smoke, consume alcohol, have the windows open whilst central heating is on, gamble, have satellite television, etc. I bet I could go in to many of their houses and cut their expenditure in half. But people see these things as an essential rather than unecessary expenditure

People with any sense should prioritise and cut their cloth accordingly. Those who are unfortunate enough and genuinely don't even have this option are the ones who deserve the support.

I heard a couple in the post office tonight whinging on about having to pay for gas & electric on pre pay/top up meters. They went on to complain they were originally on direct debit and that it shouldn't have been changed. They were totally oblivious to the fact they needed to pay for what they'd consumed and that "the direct debit thing, was meant to sort everything out". No concept at all they needed to have money in the account to cover what they were consuming. The conversation was depressing.... they have plenty money to spend on cigs, booze and other crap, but thought the world was against them, because they couldn't look after their own affairs. Still; they were able to spunk about a tenner on Flying Saucers and Flumps and left the posties feeling pretty chipper with their purchases !!

' Kin Nuggets

So have we established that these 5.9 million people are just scroungers then or what?
I think we've established they all smoke, drink and make merry while being unable to make soup. Or they don't exist. Some of them, if they do exist, leave their windows open with the central heating on.

When you want to borrow money from a bank they want to know your outgoings and debt.
So is it not a good thing to do, if somebody needs benefits, that an expert looks at their outgoings and general budget, to see if they can do better with their money?
Yes it is a bit intrusive but also better than just throwing money at the problem without trying to fix it.

When you want to borrow money from a bank they want to know your outgoings and debt.
So is it not a good thing to do, if somebody needs benefits, that an expert looks at their outgoings and general budget, to see if they can do better with their money?
Yes it is a bit intrusive but also better than just throwing money at the problem without trying to fix it.
I agree, but do gooders say that it's an invasion of privacy and no one's right blah blah blah. Like when it was proposed people get vouchers instead of cash, so it isn't wasted on booze, gambling, tobacco, drugs. Made perfect sense but people kicked off.

I think we've established they all smoke, drink and make merry while being unable to make soup. Or they don't exist. Some of them, if they do exist, leave their windows open with the central heating on.
Ahh! but do they own a 50" TV with Sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back