4 million children and 1.9 million pensioners living in poverty in UK

My mate gets full housing benefit and has to pay £6 odd rent to Gentoo, it's to cover the cost of the water rates, so I was right.
If I didn't work my water & sewerage rates are in with the rent of £88pw, housing benefit would pay the £80pw and I'd have to pay the shortfall (as housing benefit doesn't cover that). I'd also have to pay council tax so at least £10 a week out of whatever benefits I got (and if that was jsa, it's a hefty chunk and totally unfair tbh).

For pensioners the advisers seem to reckon on average you need two thirds of your final salary to live off each year....seems sound advice?(especially if any mortgage is gone)..

For pensioners the advisers seem to reckon on average you need two thirds of your final salary to live off each year....seems sound advice?(especially if any mortgage is gone)..
That seems a lot bearing in mind you don't pay any nat ins and many other off takes. No mortgage, work expenses.

Having a laugh aren't you?

With no mortgage, all the freebies pensioners get, surely you need nowhere near 2/3 of final salary, and I would imagine hardly anyone has that either. Unless you are on minimum wage when you retire.

I'm sure most pensioners get by on nowhere near that.

Some people vastly overestimate (which can be a good thing) how much they will need in retirement. Why do you think the advisers are telling us to give them more money?

If you are married you will have about 15k pa coming in from the state, could live fairly comfortably with an additional private income of 15k to 20k pa providing you have no mortgage/rent imo.

I'm sure most pensioners get by on nowhere near that.

Some people vastly overestimate (which can be a good thing) how much they will need in retirement. Why do you think the advisers are telling us to give them more money?

If you are married you will have about 15k pa coming in from the state, could live fairly comfortably with an additional private income of 15k to 20k pa providing you have no mortgage/rent imo.
You are probably right marra....ive looked at some stuff i have and it seems to be indicating if you wanted to retire pre pension should maybe have the figures i quoted(still seems very high mind?)..apologies

You are probably right marra....ive looked at some stuff i have and it seems to be indicating if you wanted to retire pre pension should maybe have the figures i quoted(still seems very high mind?)..apologies

It has all changed with draw down now, you can take as much or as little of your pot as you need, so in essence spend more while you're still able to enjoy it.

People with any sense should prioritise and cut their cloth accordingly. Those who are unfortunate enough and genuinely don't even have this option are the ones who deserve the support.

I heard a couple in the post office tonight whinging on about having to pay for gas & electric on pre pay/top up meters. They went on to complain they were originally on direct debit and that it shouldn't have been changed. They were totally oblivious to the fact they needed to pay for what they'd consumed and that "the direct debit thing, was meant to sort everything out". No concept at all they needed to have money in the account to cover what they were consuming. The conversation was depressing.... they have plenty money to spend on cigs, booze and other crap, but thought the world was against them, because they couldn't look after their own affairs. Still; they were able to spunk about a tenner on Flying Saucers and Flumps and left the posties feeling pretty chipper with their purchases !!

' Kin Nuggets

You're the Tory wet dream. Casting assumptions on people. Anyone who struggles to make ends meet must spend all their money on booze and tabs.:rolleyes:

Indeed. But the Joseph Rowntree Foundation are defining it as poverty...which is good enough to me. Yes poverty is different in UK than it is in Africa....but the fact remains that British families and pensioners are at the point where they cannot afford to eat.
I may be naive but I don't believe people can't afford to eat. Maybe not eat how they would like.

I reckon I could survive on £1 a day. Not that I would expect anyone to have to.

I agree, but do gooders say that it's an invasion of privacy and no one's right blah blah blah. Like when it was proposed people get vouchers instead of cash, so it isn't wasted on booze, gambling, tobacco, drugs. Made perfect sense but people kicked off.
People who don't spend the money on none essential things won't mind the help. Why should anybody desperate refuse?

Depends on the final salary figure.I reckon essentials are £500-£600 per month.

No Sky, mortgage, car or hols included.

If I didn't work my water & sewerage rates are in with the rent of £88pw, housing benefit would pay the £80pw and I'd have to pay the shortfall (as housing benefit doesn't cover that). I'd also have to pay council tax so at least £10 a week out of whatever benefits I got (and if that was jsa, it's a hefty chunk and totally unfair tbh).
I'm almost certain that people on JSA are entitled to have their council tax covered in full if they are the only occupier (as in only adult). Is this wrong? Maybe things have changed in last few years?

Back