4 million children and 1.9 million pensioners living in poverty in UK

TicoTorres

Midfield
I know there are people on here who prefer to stick their fingers in their ear and pretend this isn't happening, but it is. This is where we are as a country. Bloody scandelous.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-at-turning-point-in-fight-against-poverty-11156063?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

The country faces a turning point in the battle against poverty, as child and pensioner poverty see their first sustained rises in 20 years.

Some 400,000 more children and 300,000 more pensioners have fallen into poverty in the past four years, according to a new report by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

Poverty rates increased last year - 14 million people, including four million children and 1.9 million pensioners, live in poverty.

The state of the nation report blamed rising housing costs, increasing food and energy bills and cuts in benefits.

It also highlighted the long-term consequences of people not being able to afford pension contributions.

The report says: "Most people on low incomes have no savings and are not building up a pension.

"The decreasing proportion of the working-age population buying their own home means that in the future more older people are likely to rent and have higher housing costs in retirement."

The report describes the prospects for solving the problem as "worrying", adding: "The continuing rise in employment is no longer leading to lower poverty.

"Changes to benefits and tax credits for working-age families are reducing the incomes of many of those on low incomes.

"High housing costs continue to reduce the incomes available for those in poverty to meet other needs.

"Inflation is rising and is higher for those on lower incomes than for better-off groups."

Campbell Robb, chief executive of the JRF, said: "These worrying figures suggest that we are at a turning point in our fight against poverty.

"Political choices, wage stagnation and economic uncertainty mean that hundreds of thousands more people are now struggling to make ends meet.

"This is a very real warning sign that our hard-fought progress is in peril."

A Government spokesman said: "We are spending an extra £4.2bn on pensioners, carers and disabled people next year, and continue to spend around £90bn a year supporting people of working age, including those who are out of work or on a low income.

"Since 2010, the number of people in absolute poverty has fallen by over half a million, pensioner poverty remains close to historically low levels and we are supporting parents with the cost of bringing up children by doubling free childcare.

"We have given the lowest earners a significant pay rise through the National Living Wage, and are introducing Universal Credit to make sure it pays to be in work."

Debbie Abrahams, shadow work and pensions secretary, said: "The cuts to Universal Credit, which were not addressed in the recent Budget and mean that 'work does not always pay', will push even more children and working age adults into poverty."

The findings come just a day after Alan Milburn, the head of the the Social Mobility Commission, resigned in protest the at the Government's lack of progress towards building a "fairer Britain".

Indeed. But the Joseph Rowntree Foundation are defining it as poverty...which is good enough to me. Yes poverty is different in UK than it is in Africa....but the fact remains that British families and pensioners are at the point where they cannot afford to eat.

I have no doubt that there are some in that situation and mnay of those through no fault of their own but there also will be others who dont know how to budget or have priorities other than decent food ont he table

:lol:Touch paper in place in the op, paper lit with the second post. I’ll play for a bit....how do you define poverty then Epps?

I don't that is someone elses job. its very subjective though

I have no doubt that there are some in that situation and mnay of those through no fault of their own but there also will be others who dont know how to budget or have priorities other than decent food ont he table

That's a big issue.
That and immediate gratification rather than deferred gratification.

I know someone who has to do home visits for kids going into work experience. She often goes into houses with no carpet (throughout) but a f***ing massive TV on the wall and probably next to sod all in the fridge.
Some people do not know how to prioritise.

I think the latter part of your statement is irrelevant. The first bit, "many people are in this situation through no fault of their own". The fact we live in a society where we are happy to pay bungs to the DUP and fork out £50b on some divorce bill that will see us move out of one the world's biggest trading areas - but there is no "magic money tree" to help the NHS or to feed starving kids, then we know that the government are doing something wrong. Regardless of whether it is an individuals fault that he or she can't put food on the table, we have a moral duty to get these people on their feet. But we don't.

That's a big issue.
That and immediate gratification rather than deferred gratification.

I know someone who has to do home visits for kids going into work experience. She often goes into houses with no carpet (throughout) but a f***ing massive TV on the wall and probably next to sod all in the fridge.
Some people do not know how to prioritise.

You often hear about this....massive telly with Sky Sports etc. I wonder how much of this is true because it stinks of bollocks to me. No one who is starving is spending a grand a year on Sky with a 60 inch telly. No one.

I think the latter part of your statement is irrelevant. The first bit, "many people are in this situation through no fault of their own". The fact we live in a society where we are happy to pay bungs to the DUP and fork out £50b on some divorce bill that will see us move out of one the world's biggest trading areas - but there is no "magic money tree" to help the NHS or to feed starving kids, then we know that the government are doing something wrong. Regardless of whether it is an individuals fault that he or she can't put food on the table, we have a moral duty to get these people on their feet. But we don't.

but it isnt irrelevant is it. if they are getting money yet choose to spend £30 a month on a phone contract and more on a sky subscription they it is about buidegting and priorities

but it isnt irrelevant is it. if they are getting money yet choose to spend £30 a month on a phone contract and more on a sky subscription they it is about buidegting and priorities

Do we know that this happens - or is it just hearsay from Daily Mail? Stuff like this is used frequently used to bat people down who are struggling...it's a very bold assumption made about people.

You often hear about this....massive telly with Sky Sports etc. I wonder how much of this is true because it stinks of bollocks to me. No one who is starving is spending a grand a year on Sky with a 60 inch telly. No one.

I would bet you a thousand quid there is. and being in poverty doesnt mean you are starving. plenty of people who are poor still manage to eat well.

Do we know that this happens - or is it just hearsay from Daily Mail? Stuff like this is used frequently used to bat people down who are struggling...it's a very bold assumption made about people.

I havent said all but I imagine most of us will know someone who spunks their money instantly without looking at longer concequences...

you sayinhg all those that re listed are living in poverty are livibng like monks

Last edited:
I would bet you a thousand quid there is. and being in poverty doesnt mean you are starving. plenty of people who are poor still manage to eat well.

I havent said all but I imagine most of us will know someone who spunks their money instantly without looking at longer concequences...

you sayinhg all those that re listed are living in poverty are livibng like monks

Maybe there is people like this, maybe there isn't.

But why such the focus on that? What about the people who are really in trouble? You seem to have twisted this report (which I knew people would in fairness) in to something to beat people with a stick with. It's just such an odd mentality to have rather than sympathy or disdain for those which have put these people in this position.

Maybe there is people like this, maybe there isn't.

But why such the focus on that? What about the people who are really in trouble? You seem to have twisted this report (which I knew people would in fairness) in to something to beat people with a stick with. It's just such an odd mentality to have rather than sympathy or disdain for those which have put these people in this position.

I havent beat anyone with a stick. you are twisitng stuff for your agenda. I;m just stating it how many people see it

I havent beat anyone with a stick. you are twisitng stuff for your agenda. I;m just stating it how many people see it

Well you are. First reply to a post about kids in poverty is an assumption that a lot of people in this research are there due to their own mismanagement/stupidity. Instead, the focus should be on why society and governments have allowed it to get to a point where ones income is not enough to cover cost of living and the ability to eat.

Well you are. First reply to a post about kids in poverty is an assumption that a lot of people in this research are there due to their own mismanagement/stupidity. Instead, the focus should be on why society and governments have allowed it to get to a point where ones income is not enough to cover cost of living and the ability to eat.

the fact is you could give some people £1000 a week and they would still be skint. Of course I dont want to see kids in poverty but to put it down to just because they dont get enough money is naive. there will be a multitude of issues as to why they are.

yes we should help out where we can but to throw it all at a goverments door doesnt give the true picture

Back