4 million children and 1.9 million pensioners living in poverty in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

But they need to hand 44billion to the eu soon. The money needs to come from someware.
Brexit, the dream of the greedy, not for the needy who will suffer most. The greedy scroungers who don’t care thst others can ill afford to pay for their dream, dream of what? They don’t even know but they will take it whatever the cost , why? Cos. Back to poverty, I learned at an early age what it was like.

Remember the post, labour isn't working, with a line of people in it

Why don't labour highlight issues, with a line of at least 10000 coffins, and counting for death caused directly by conservative policies.

Or a queue lining around the blocks for food banks

This will be ridiculed and abused, but that hits the spot for me and our large class of conservative fans, won't like it.

They harp on about corbyns link to the IRA, etc, however it's pretty close in the reckoning deaths caused by the IRA and conservative policies now.

If you don't like the comparison, it's because it upsets your little view of the world, where you are right and this government can do no wrong.

Fight fire with fire, with this way to the right wing government and its media cohorts, billionaires and people who should know better.

Put me on ignore if this upsets you, like you, I don't give a stuff about your Tory feelings

the fact is you could give some people £1000 a week and they would still be skint. Of course I dont want to see kids in poverty but to put it down to just because they dont get enough money is naive. there will be a multitude of issues as to why they are.

yes we should help out where we can but to throw it all at a goverments door doesnt give the true picture
But they are not getting £1,000 a week, the same old lame excuses.

It does happen. I know people who do it.
Line one of the Tory speak

I know people who do it

Well if that's the case, get off your arse and report them

Same points over and over.

Not in the slightest accepting the evidence which is piling up

Until it hits them squarely in the face, they don't care one jot

I didnt say they were but I was implying that some people you could serve the moon up on a plate and they would still be skint.

its the nature of some people.

its extremely hard for loads of people but there is a big difference between abject or absolute poverty over relative poverty and in this it measure against relative poverty.

probably growing up I and most of the people around me would these days fall into relative poverty

JRF’s definition of poverty is:

‘When a person’s resources (mainly their material resources) are not sufficient to meet their minimum needs (including social participation).’

so from that definition what is Social participation. being able to go down the pub, join a gym, smoking, having pay TV

Well you are. First reply to a post about kids in poverty is an assumption that a lot of people in this research are there due to their own mismanagement/stupidity. Instead, the focus should be on why society and governments have allowed it to get to a point where ones income is not enough to cover cost of living and the ability to eat.
could be wrong here, but i think @Frijj produced some data once that showed that more low income people smoke than high or middle income people. that sounds like bad prioritisation to me. secondly, @Epping is right, people going out and over leveraging themselves through catalogues and HPA's is quite common and frankly ridiculous.

some things aren't as simple as chucking money at it. this is one of them things. a lot of people are genuinely living in poverty. people who work and can't make ends meet; that is the number 1 issue. people who go out to work and still can't feed their family.

What should I report them for?

I'm not a Tory and calling me one just makes you look daft.
If you know people are fiddling, report them, whatever party you vote for

I apologise for calling you a Tory, it's just that line you posted, "I know people who do this", is used time and again to justify this governments policies which they have a choice of not doing but have chosen to inflict on people, least able to resist them

If you know people are fiddling, report them, whatever party you vote for

I apologise for calling you a Tory, it's just that line you posted, "I know people who do this", is used time and again to justify this governments policies which they have a choice of not doing but have chosen to inflict on people, least able to resist them
Fiddling what? Where did I say they were benefit fiddlers?

he hasnt said he know people on the fiddle. .he said he knows people who are shit at budgeting or prioritising repsonsibilities
Simple as that really. There's plenty of genuine cases to complain about without pretending there's nobody on the other side of the fence. It's like pretending a nurse on 20 odd k a year genuinely needs a food bank without finding out why as quite clearly anybody on that wage should be able to eat pretty well.

Last edited:
its how you define poverty isnt it..

Not if the bar stays at the same level.

This is the first time that the number of people living in poverty has increased since the last time the tories were in power and instigated a sustained period of auterity politics (coincidentally enough)

report for what.. not spending their money responsibly.. its not a crime and many weekend millionairess would fall into that
You know what I mean

It's a regular line used to defend this governments policies.

" I know people who are doing this, that and the other"

Usually followed with, "I'm working all hours and can't afford things"

If they did know people who are getting all these things and are rolling in money whilst on benefit, then report them

However the mountains of evidence of serious problems caused directly through government choice, is ridiculed and ignored, as they "know" people

Fiddling what? Where did I say they were benefit fiddlers?

Simple as that really. There's plenty of genuine cases to complain about without pretending there's nobody on the other side of the fence. It's like pretending a nurse on 20 odd k a year genuinely needs a food bank without finding out why as quite clearly anybody on that wage should be able to eat pretty well.
I'm sorry you did not say that.

My rant is not at you specifically but you know the likes on here who say such things

Indeed. But the Joseph Rowntree Foundation are defining it as poverty...which is good enough to me. Yes poverty is different in UK than it is in Africa....but the fact remains that British families and pensioners are at the point where they cannot afford to eat.
JRF`s definition is about 60% of the median average wage after housing costs iirc.

he hasnt said he know people on the fiddle. .he said he knows people who are shit at budgeting or prioritising repsonsibilities
I've apologised, but there are plenty on here, who use that line.

You know that, as does he.

I'm sorry but my point stands but it was aimed at the wrong poster

The poor tend to also pay more for goods (Bright House) and for power (advance key meters).

This perpetuates poverty.

I didnt say they were but I was implying that some people you could serve the moon up on a plate and they would still be skint.

its the nature of some people.

its extremely hard for loads of people but there is a big difference between abject or absolute poverty over relative poverty and in this it measure against relative poverty.

probably growing up I and most of the people around me would these days fall into relative poverty

JRF’s definition of poverty is:

‘When a person’s resources (mainly their material resources) are not sufficient to meet their minimum needs (including social participation).’

so from that definition what is Social participation. being able to go down the pub, join a gym, smoking, having pay TV
The whole social participation thing is an important issue, people slating folk for having a big telly and sky etc yet little food on the fridge.

These people will also be the ones who aren’t working, often through no fault of their own, they’re living in a society that had been created around ownership of shite. If you’re already in an awful situation, feeling like you’re dropping out of the arse of the world then maybe having a big telly adds to ones sense of worth. Is that such a bad thing?

Also this nonsense about blaming people for not being able to budget, that’s a part of the problem but you try living on what is it, £50-70 quid a week for a prolonged period of time, no treats, no prospect of the situation improving....that’s what you’d get for budgeting. That’s not a life, it’s barely an existence. No the wonder people then go and get into hoc for a treat.

Not having a go at you personally here mind Epps but a lot of people need to get off their high horse and look at where the problem lies, it’s not the folk with the big telly, it’s the companies and governments that have created this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back