3rd test - Headingley

Today/yesterday has proven you can’t leave Chris Woakes out in England. I would have him in over Robbo, just as effective if not more bowling and a better batsman. The Aussies will not like that we’ve got him back in the team.

Swap Bairstow for Foakes and we have a team capable of winning the series.
Ducko
Crawley
Mo
Root
Brook
Stokes (c)
Foakes (wk)
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Tongue

That is suddenly a strong team. I like the idea of Mo at 3 if we have a strong tail.

Last edited:
What a brilliant couple of days of cricket. Tremendous from Wood and Woakes.

Bairstow needs to be dropped, no question. Only change that’s needed, he’s way off the pace. Tongue in for Robbo if he’s injured.

I agree re Bairstow, the drops and the 'stumping' have dented his confidence I fear, I think when he left that catch to Brook that said everything about his state of mind. Personally I would play Foakes for Bairstow and Tongue for Robinson. If I'm honest I haven't a clue about the Old Trafford wicket and how it plays.

I think the only change will be Anderson for Robinson if it's right that we've kept Anderson back for that test.

I agree re Bairstow, the drops and the 'stumping' have dented his confidence I fear, I think when he left that catch to Brook that said everything about his state of mind. Personally I would play Foakes for Bairstow and Tongue for Robinson. If I'm honest I haven't a clue about the Old Trafford wicket and how it plays.

I think the only change will be Anderson for Robinson if it's right that we've kept Anderson back for that test.

Agree with everything. Can’t complain about Anderson ahead of Tongue, but I do think Tongue was causing them more problems.

I also don’t think they’ll drop Bairstow, but if they want to win the series someone needs to force the decision. Yes he’s one of the lads, but we need a fit, in-form keeper who can offer a bit with the bat as Bairstow is offering nothing with either at the minute, he seems sluggish with everything.

Agree with everything. Can’t complain about Anderson ahead of Tongue, but I do think Tongue was causing them more problems.

I also don’t think they’ll drop Bairstow, but if they want to win the series someone needs to force the decision. Yes he’s one of the lads, but we need a fit, in-form keeper who can offer a bit with the bat as Bairstow is offering nothing with either at the minute, he seems sluggish with everything.

Just looking at Tongue's stats at Lords, he took 5 wickets including Smith twice and Khawaja once which is pretty impressive.

I'm sure Stokeys and Baz know more than me though 😁

Anyone know why there is no Today at the Test highlights on the iplayer tonight? I was really looking forward to watching them having been out all day and listening to TMS but it seems they haven’t bothered to put them up

Today/yesterday has proven you can’t leave Chris Woakes out in England. I would have him in over Robbo, just as effective if not more bowling and a better batsman. The Aussies will not like that we’ve got him back in the team.

Swap Bairstow for Foakes and we have a team capable of winning the series.
Ducko
Crawley
Mo
Root
Brook
Stokes (c)
Foakes (wk)
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Tongue

That is suddenly a strong team. I like the idea of Mo at 3 if we have a strong tail.
Stokes seemed to suggest Ali at 3 was just a one off

No way will Bairstow will be dropped (unfortunately)
The way they look at it they win or loose together as a team. They’ll stick with him for this series, imo of course. Root has dropped 6 catches which is never mentioned and his batting is poor apart from Edgebaston 1st inn's, is he to go as well.

For me its all the approach and mentality. We have been casual, too laid back, not treating the series/occasion with the respect it deserves. That has bred sloppiness and poor decision making (Bairstow is certainly symptomatic of that but many others too). Aussies are focussed, professional, ruthless and will win because of it i fear.
We just f***ing go for it. This new approach, whatever you think of it, is producing positive results. This thread has had multiple posters claiming The Ashes were gone and we're shite but we've won it and let's be honest we could have won all 3. I'm still not fully convinced but I feel the team have 'bought in' I think we as fans should also embrace it. It's mad but it works.

We just f***ing go for it. This new approach, whatever you think of it, is producing positive results. This thread has had multiple posters claiming The Ashes were gone and we're shite but we've won it and let's be honest we could have won all 3. I'm still not fully convinced but I feel the team have 'bought in' I think we as fans should also embrace it. It's mad but it works.

I read on the BBC website a few days after the first two tests that we had outscored the Aussies in runs off the bat and the difference in totals has been the number or extras conceded, pretty mad stat.

Back