2nd XI - 2022

Buck stops at the top.
As far as I'm aware there has been no reduction in Academy provision,same number of teams,same coaches except for Jon Lowe who went to head Yorkshire's Academy in the close season. There's been a policy change,that change could only have been made at the top.

Buck stops at the top.

I don’t disagree.

As far as I'm aware there has been no reduction in Academy provision,same number of teams,same coaches except for Jon Lowe who went to head Yorkshire's Academy in the close season. There's been a policy change,that change could only have been made at the top.

Ha’way man Parky, you start it by saying there’s been no reduction and then tell us about a reduction.

Surely you can’t expect me to take that seriously? You can’t have it both ways 🤷‍♂️

There could well have been a policy change, but I’d expect those decisions to be made ABOVE the pay grade of Franklin. I would HOPE that decision was made by someone with a ‘talent’ related job such as a coach but unfortunately in modern day sport those decisions are (and it’s becoming increasingly more prominent) being made by ‘financial’ as opposed to ‘sporting’ people.

Furthermore, you overlook the biggest aspect of the point I made. Money. If the budget isn’t there to pay these academy lads as they cross over onto a senior contract - they won’t be retained. I’d like to think those decisions are made solely on talent and playing ability. Unfortunately given our predicament I worry that’s the case.

It could be argued that losing the likes of Scott Steel, Sol Bell, perhaps even Asher Hart came down to money.

Jon Lowe left for a promotion not because of staffing cuts.. What I added was it was so recent it hadn't had time to impact. You're arguing that we might'nt have the money to progress academy contacts to senior contracts-that would be an increase of about £10k yet we can find the salary of loan players and other clubs senior rejects such as Robinson, Drissell Crawley and Sowter. With a financial model like that we'd deserve to be in financial mire. If Franklin has no say in player retention then his grandiose title is a complete misnomer and I'd withdraw criticism of him but I'd find it very hard to believe

Last edited:
There's only so much development a player can do if they're not going to get picked.

It would certainly be interesting to have comparisons on how many lads have been making FC/List A debuts per season

Jon Lowe left for a promotion not because of staffing cuts..

I didn’t say specifically that Lowe left for that reason. It was a generalisation based upon our financial predicament.

You're arguing that we might'nt have the money to progress academy contacts to senior contracts-that would be an increase of about £10k yet we can find the salary of loan players and other clubs senior rejects such as Robinson, Drissell Crawley and Sowter. With a financial model like that we'd deserve to be in financial mire.

It’s quite a regular occurrence during any loan in team sport that the parent club may pay part of a particular players contract. If a player is coming from a club looking to lessen their own financial burden, it may well be that we, as the loaning club would benefit from ‘preferential terms’.

As for the ‘increase of about £10k’, there’s a minimum wage in cricket and the figure from a couple of years ago (pre-pandemic) from memory was £27k a season. The figure for an academy player was a little over half of that and the key thing to note about it, was that two pretty influential factors impacted when a club would have to pay the full wage. One was age (although I forget the actual numbers) and the other was on appearances made. Which could go a long way to explain why we would release academy prospects as opposed to signing them to a senior deal AND also why more academy lads aren’t getting appearances in the senior side.

Furthermore, players on a short term deal would potentially come under a different banner entirely, there’s a band as I understand it for trialists and that’s more of a day rate.

It doesn’t make it right by any means and I’d be as disappointed and frustrated as anyone if the club were making decisions on who to keep and who to release based mainly (if not solely) on finances as opposed to talent, but again, that is where we are at as a club. Whether we like it or not.

If Franklin has no say in player retention then his grandiose title is a complete misnomer and I'd withdraw criticism of him but I'd find it very hard to believe

I wouldn’t expect he has/had ‘no’ say. But at the most basic level, we have a Director of Cricket. If it is like it’s footballing equivalent, it could well be that North has the ruling decision on any comings and goings. It’s not uncommon in modern sport. It’s certainly more of a thing in US Sport but there are some quite big football clubs whereby that is true.

You made reference to Franklin’s job title, many have mocked it this last few days and I have to agree with those who say it’s a pretty ridiculous and far-fetched title. It does however leave room for a lot of ambiguity when it comes down to what exactly the bloke is and isn’t responsible for.

Ultimately on most of the points raised I don’t know 100%, I concede a lot of this is all just my own reading of the situation backed up with bits and pieces of facts that have come out along the way. It’s just another example though of where the water may well be muddier than some would like to believe and that is the entire point of what I’ve been saying on this issue for days now.

My overall position on Franklin hasn’t changed, but I would expect people who claim to love the club as much as they say they do to have done their due diligence to even the most basic level on this. After all, there’s plenty to get stuck into him for without making things up and jumping to ill informed and incorrect conclusions.

I based that £10k figure on figures from the PCA website where salaries are quoted as between £18k-£22k for 18 -22 year old. Players who guest as one off are paid a derogatory figure of something like £50 per day. Players I have named above are either loans or have been given full contracts -the club have actually disclosed that as fact.
You've just admitted that you're not 100% sure on your claims, I'm likewise and have admitted such. We're both making our own interpretations on little concrete evidence and have come to different conclusions. I have no problem whatsoever with that. Don't understand why you can't just accept that -we agree to disagree. The issue is becoming ridiculously tedious.

Don't understand why you can't just accept that -we agree to disagree. The issue is becoming ridiculously tedious.

I have done 🤷‍♂️

Hence my admission I’m not 100% sure of the intricacies.

Doesn’t mean I can’t be up for a debate - and can’t put forward my thoughts as to why certain things may be happening that are contrary to the vitriolic agenda being pushed by certain individuals.

2nds getting absolutely bladdered -Yorkies approaching 400-3. This club is knackered. Lead high performance coach. Lead???

Last edited:
Doneathy scoring runs in 2nd innings and Bushnell scoring runs in 1st innings. Couple of other young lads with good scores.... Take note Mr Franklin.
Doneathy finished with 94 . Yorkshire currently 57/3 chasing 110 .2 wkts for Mitchell Killeen currently bowling to his Burnopfield team mate John Oswell who seems to have been drafted in today.Likewise Olly Gibson is also bowling.No stats from Drissell and McAlindon so likely they're off to hand out the candyfloss and drinks at Blackpool tonight.Would imagine a similar situation with the Yorkshire players 🤔
Doneathy finished with 94 . Yorkshire currently 57/3 chasing 110 .2 wkts for Mitchell Killeen currently bowling to his Burnopfield team mate John Oswell who seems to have been drafted in today.Likewise Olly Gibson is also bowling.No stats from Drissell and McAlindon so likely they're off to hand out the candyfloss and drinks at Blackpool tonight.Would imagine a similar situation with the Yorkshire players 🤔
Another one for Mitch . Oswell caught by Hetton Lyons player Ben McKinney

Last edited:

Another one for Mitch . Oswell caught by Hetton Lyons player Ben McKinney
Oswell the lad who smashed about 120 off 35 the other day?

Yeah also scored a big ton for Northumberland in their MCA one day Trophy game the other week.His brother Martin skippers Burnopfield and also plays for NCCC.Another player Matty Scott has been playing for Notts 2nd's v Lancashire this week.
Yeah also scored a big ton for Northumberland in their MCA one day Trophy game the other week.His brother Martin skippers Burnopfield and also plays for NCCC.Another player Matty Scott has been playing for Notts 2nd's v Lancashire this week.
His brother is Matthew Oswell.Their dad is Marty who is heavily involved at the club

Last edited:

His brother is Matthew Oswell.Their dad is Marty who is heavily involved at the club
Why are Durham not looking at these players literally on our doorstep?

Even more interesting considering one of Durham's coaches has played at BCC this season 🤔😉
Seconds lost by 4 wkts .Gutsy performance after trailing by 212 on first innings to take it to around 3:30pm on final afternoon
Thanks to Doneathy’s 90 and a few early wickets we made the white rose work hard for their win in the end.
It is interesting that they are visible to other counties
Surely there’s some sort of hook up between Northumberland and Durham? Our scouts (?) should be tracking all these boys and monitoring performance at club level.

Last edited:
Isnt oswell a wk aswel? Not an area we are blessed with
He does keep occasionally but I'm pretty sure Johnny Pears is the main keeper .Think he had a spell at the academy a couple of years back.Also played at Darlington . Returned to the Hobson after a short time at Richmond

Seconds due to start their 4 day match v Kent at Richmond today.Be interesting to see if any first team players play other than Rushy and Salisbury 🤔

Back