2nd XI - 2022

Second xi resume the 4 day championship at “home” in Richmond on Monday next 20th June v Yorkshire and again the following Monday v Kent also at Richmond. A week later on Monday 4th July they are away v Lancs in Liverpool. Given all the injuries we’ve got it will be interesting to see what side we can put together.

Second xi resume the 4 day championship at “home” in Richmond on Monday next 20th June v Yorkshire and again the following Monday v Kent also at Richmond. A week later on Monday 4th July they are away v Lancs in Liverpool. Given all the injuries we’ve got it will be interesting to see what side we can put together.

Would be convenient timing and great to go and watch the twos.... If they weren't playing miles away in our nearest rival's county... Is there any kind of reason for this?

Morning lads and lasses. Anyone heading to Richmond for the 2s game? I have an unexpected free day and had thought about it (weather looks cracking!) but talked myself out of it.

Can’t see any info/team news anywhere, but as @bumble2 has posted, we must be down to the very bare bones.

Durham have won the toss and will bat first v Yorkshire at Richmond.Rushy and Salisbury in the playing 12. Coverage on NVP Cricket .
Slightly off topic.19 yr old Burnopfield bowler plays in the Notts Second Team game v Lancs starting today.Started off at Tynedale.
Durham have won the toss and will bat first v Yorkshire at Richmond.Rushy and Salisbury in the playing 12. Coverage on NVP Cricket .
Slightly off topic.19 yr old Burnopfield bowler Matthew Scott plays in the Notts Second Team game v Lancs starting today.Started off at Tynedale.
Slightly off topic.19 yr old Burnopfield bowler plays in the Notts Second Team game v Lancs starting today.Started off at Tynedale.
Matthew Scott is the player 😉

Last edited:
I was in Richmond today (not for the cricket) stood and watched over the wall for ten minutes this afternoon, we were 165-4 soon to be 171-4 when one of our batsmen hit the ball over long on, clean over the netting and into the street, passing traffic, pedestrians and all😁

Bushnell down to bat 10. Sums the present attitude to youth perfectly.

Both feet :lol:

Bushnell has come in at 4
🥴
We should all know by now that the initial list of players doesn’t necessarily reflect the intended batting order.
Exactly.
Would be convenient timing and great to go and watch the twos.... If they weren't playing miles away in our nearest rival's county... Is there any kind of reason for this?

Yes, I explained it elsewhere - the club are at the mercy of outgrounds actually wanting to host.

It’s expensive, a lot of hard work and not particularly worth the hassle when the only real benefit for any host club is a bit of ‘prestige’.

Last edited:
Both feet :lol:

🥴

Exactly.
Yeh,getting tonked off Yorkshire 2nds. Misunderstanding on the batting order doesn't alter that fact nor does the fact that rejects from other counties are batting 1 and 3 and 2 veteran 1st seamers are opening the batting.
Clutching at straws.

Give it a rest. I've attempted to extend the arm of conciliation on another thread. If you can't accept that, so be it.
I don't know, have never met, the poster you label WHED.

I’m not the one being intentionally disingenuous to try to win an Internet argument.

I've offered the arm of conciliation which you won't accept. Our opinions differ. I don't have the slightest problem with that.

The arm of conciliation? I thought we were having a debate?

You asked a question, I answered at length with great detail and now you’re giving it the ‘we’ll agree to disagree’ line.

WHAT is it you disagree with? Is anything I said wrong? Come on, if you’re going to bad mouth the likes of John Windows and the Academy setup, atleast have the courage of your convictions to tell us what it is you disagree with.

The arm of conciliation? I thought we were having a debate?

You asked a question, I answered at length with great detail and now you’re giving it the ‘we’ll agree to disagree’ line.

WHAT is it you disagree with? Is anything I said wrong? Come on, if you’re going to bad mouth the likes of John Windows and the Academy setup, atleast have the courage of your convictions to tell us what it is you disagree with.
I've just commended Windows,I've never said anything derogatory about John Windows.
Academy players aren't progressing after they leave the Academy -that's not John Windows remit.
We disagree. Ok,don't agree to disagree.
What I disagree with concerns the funding of the academy.

Last edited:
I've just commended Windows,I've never said anything derogatory about John Windows.
Academy players aren't progressing after they leave the Academy -that's not John Windows remit.
We disagree. Ok,don't agree to disagree.
What I disagree with concerns the funding of the academy.

It’s too simple to just say ‘once they leave the academy’ though marra. There’s a point to which a decision has to be made as to whether they’re ready to make that leap.

As I’ve pointed out, that’s often down to more than just talent.

It’s sad that a financial decision can take precedence over a talent/capability based decision but that unfortunately is where we are in 2022 and it ties into my wider point which pushed back at the ‘ringfenced funding’ argument.

The even bigger argument is to what end each coach takes responsibility over player development and whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the premise that Franklin is where the buck stops - there are more men at the club who are responsible for nurturing talent than just him.

For every Sir Alex Ferguson there’s an Eric Harrison (and a raft of people in between) ;).

Back