2022 Cycling Thread

Details of Sunderland Tour of Britain finish

TOUR OF BRITAIN – 6 SEPTEMER 2022 We are writing to advise you that the fantastic Tour of Britain Men’s race is coming to Sunderland on the afternoon of Tuesday 6th September. The race will feature a world-class field of around 120 riders from 20 teams and it is expected that the field will include world and national champions with several well-known World Tour teams. ITV4 will broadcast live coverage of the Durham to Sunderland stage, which will be shown in over 150 countries worldwide thanks to the event’s partnerships with Eurosport and the Global Cycling Network. The race will enter Sunderland at Moorsley at approximately 3pm, head towards the A690 Board Inn roundabout and then follow Durham Road until it gets to the city centre finish area on St Mary’s Boulevard at approximately 3.30pm. A temporary road closure will apply on all roads being used for the race route from approximately 2.45pm. Strategic vehicle crossing points will be maintained along the route until the race pack is near. Once the race pack is near a particular section of road, the road will be closed completely until the race has passed. Once it has passed, the road will be reopened. Please note, it should only take around 10 minutes for the riders and supporting vehicles to reach the city centre from the A690 Board Inn roundabout, so we are not looking at prolonged closures, however we know that they have the potential to be disruptive to school pick up times. If your school is on the route and is in school during this time, we know the riders would love to see your school out on the roadside cheering them on. If your school closes during this time, we would be grateful if you can communicate with parents/guardians that if they are travelling by vehicle, there may be some delays in getting to the school for the designated pick up time. If your school is on the route, parents/guardians could also be encouraged to arrive early to view the race, before leaving the area once the race has passed. We appreciate that this may be disruptive for those schools on or near the route, especially with it being the first day back to school for many, but we would hope that you will join us in celebrating a brilliant event coming to our city. Your school may even be featured live on tv as the cameras pass by. We have included a helpful link to the Tour of Britain website that provides more information on the event. The Tour of Britain | Stage Three Please also find a link to a short video that explains how the road closures work.

Maybe top of Board Inn drag for me 👍

Does anyone here use tubeless tyres? I have nee experience with them so I assumed you just put sealant in them, inflated them and that's it. But I now discover that sealant should be topped up or replaced maybe every 3 months or so. Stuff I have read say things like that you should check sealant level to see if it needs replacing. How the fuck do you check the sealant level??? Surely you can't just keep pumping more gunge in there on a regular basis or you'll end up with a tyre full of the sticky shite, no? Surely you don't have to remove the tyres regularly to clean them out & refill with sealant? I thought they were supposed to make things easier.

Does anyone here use tubeless tyres? I have nee experience with them so I assumed you just put sealant in them, inflated them and that's it. But I now discover that sealant should be topped up or replaced maybe every 3 months or so. Stuff I have read say things like that you should check sealant level to see if it needs replacing. How the fuck do you check the sealant level??? Surely you can't just keep pumping more gunge in there on a regular basis or you'll end up with a tyre full of the sticky shite, no? Surely you don't have to remove the tyres regularly to clean them out & refill with sealant? I thought they were supposed to make things easier.
Know people who rave about them, but I 'm quite happy to avoid any faff and run tubes in admittedly tubeless ready tyres.

When I bought my current bike last October, they asked if I wanted tubeless, I had no idea what they were, just heard the buzz word around, so agreed. Been on my bike since then and done jack all except maintain my tire pressure with the odd pump up every other week. So following, as I'd be interested to learn more. Looking at another bike at the moment, now got to get my head around clinchers, so another google night coming up.

When I bought my current bike last October, they asked if I wanted tubeless, I had no idea what they were, just heard the buzz word around, so agreed. Been on my bike since then and done jack all except maintain my tire pressure with the odd pump up every other week. So following, as I'd be interested to learn more. Looking at another bike at the moment, now got to get my head around clinchers, so another google night coming up.
Are you running inner tubes in tubeless ready tyres ?
Tubeless ready wheels, as they're often described can be confusing. Years ago I was running clinchers and then bought a pair of tubeless ready wheels and just ran tubes as normal.

If running tubeless set up that you're unaware of the valves would be a give away

Last edited:
Are you running inner tubes in tubeless ready tyres ?
Tubeless ready wheels, as they're often described can be confusing. Years ago I was running clinchers and then bought a pair of tubeless ready wheels and just ran tubes as normal.

If running tubeless set up that you're unaware of the valves would be a give away
My Giant TCR were tubeless ready, so I guess the shop in Hanoi made them tubeless, they gave me a spare inner tube for emergencies (Which I carry around on rides). Looking at a BMC Roadmachine Two which has tubeless compatible tires "Not tubeless ready", he also has a carbon wheelset and was talking about clinchers, which are common, but on about beading and such. Not been heavy into bike/tire set ups, it's a bit to take in.

My Giant TCR were tubeless ready, so I guess the shop in Hanoi made them tubeless, they gave me a spare inner tube for emergencies (Which I carry around on rides). Looking at a BMC Roadmachine Two which has tubeless compatible tires "Not tubeless ready", he also has a carbon wheelset and was talking about clinchers, which are common, but on about beading and such. Not been heavy into bike/tire set ups, it's a bit to take in.
So guessing that the shop did the setting up with sealant etc ? Seems good/lucky that you've not had to do anything regarding sealant etc in 8 months of riding.

Suppose future set ups will depend on the likes of what riding you do and what roads are like ?

So guessing that the shop did the setting up with sealant etc ? Seems good/lucky that you've not had to do anything regarding sealant etc in 8 months of riding.

Suppose future set ups will depend on the likes of what riding you do and what roads are like ?
This is what I was thinking, saying that, it's been in for service twice, maybe he's been doing it, no idea, I'll ask next time. I do almost all road here now, but they not the best, different surface conditions, with pot holes to watchout for. Been here 8 months, friends of mine are around 2 puncture in, in that time, i'm for nothing yet, fingers crossed.

Got tubeless on my giant. Had a few little bursts of white stuff all over the bike ha. But they healed strt away. I carry these worms to bung a hole if required. Not sure how you check sealant but if tyre needs replacing it’ll be going into shop. Does anyone know a good bike mechanic close to Sunlan for services, repairs etc?

Got tubeless on my giant. Had a few little bursts of white stuff all over the bike ha. But they healed strt away. I carry these worms to bung a hole if required. Not sure how you check sealant but if tyre needs replacing it’ll be going into shop. Does anyone know a good bike mechanic close to Sunlan for services, repairs etc?
Used Cycleworld for years now...

Back