2020 Local Cricket Rumours & Transfers

Classic case once again of a local cricket team getting above themselves, directors of coaching and calling their grounds with oval on the endšŸ˜€

Mind always found Linsley a canny bloke tbh.
Obviously donā€™t realise itā€™s village cricket that theyā€™re playing. :lol:

Iā€™m all for clubs being more ā€œprofessionalā€ in their approach, you have to nowadays with far stricter health and safety and also with regards to finances, but some just take it far too far, to the extent it becomes laughable.

I am only half joking mate, itā€™s the adding on the oval at the end made that makes me laugh, like Adelaide or Kensington oval, could it not be called the Elopa ground, or Elopa Village cricket ground.

Exactly, thatā€™s my point,must have played there at least 30 times and never heard that either, but like a lot of Village cricket teams who have reached the dizzy heights of the NEPL, all of a sudden their call their bloke who trains the players directors of coaching, and their grounds oval on the end

I am only having a bit of a laugh, but find it prentendious as owt!

Head of Cricket Development makes me laugh. Coach or Chairman should cover it.

Wasnt Marcus North the Chief Exec at South Northumberland ?
Mind always found Linsley a canny bloke tbh.

He is, but as chief cook and bottle washer I think the ground would be better named in his honour šŸ˜œ

Last edited:
Head of Cricket Development makes me laugh. Coach or Chairman should cover it.

Wasnt Marcus North the Chief Exec at South Northumberland ?

He is, but as chief cook and bottle washer I think the ground would be better named in his honour šŸ˜œ

Aye chief executive of a local cricket teamšŸ˜€

Head of cricket development FFS!

Last edited:
I am only half joking mate, itā€™s the adding on the oval at the end made that makes me laugh, like Adelaide or Kensington oval, could it not be called the Elopa ground, or Elopa Village cricket ground.

Exactly, thatā€™s my point,must have played there at least 30 times and never heard that either, but like a lot of Village cricket teams who have reached the dizzy heights of the NEPL, all of a sudden their call their bloke who trains the players directors of coaching, and their grounds oval on the end

I am only having a bit of a laugh, but find it prentendious as owt!
Some not even in the NEPL do that :oops:

Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Cricket Club Committee, Selection Committee, Team Captains and Vice-captains, Junior Squad Managers and Coaches.

Is that not enough without inventing others?

'Director of this and that'. What a load of Bo@*%cks.
Exactly right

The first ā€˜Head of Cricket Developmentā€™ I came across was pompous enough to give himself that title ..... I christened him something less subtle but more appropriate but itā€™s not on your list šŸ˜œ

Last edited:
Donā€™t see the problem with it myself, just sound like a bunch of old timers/miserable awls gits stuck firmly in the past.

Move with the times. Village cricket or not, some of the leagues in and around the country are far more professionally ran outfits than actual professional organisations, and as such if cricket clubs follow that route and want to use names like the aforementioned then so be it. I can guarantee those clubs will be the clubs that survive and thrive as opposed to the many ā€œvillageā€ outfits that have gone to the wall in recent years.

Yours,
Cricket Development Manager (Former Head of Cricket & Club Development - already thinking of my next one, maybe Associate Director of Cricket Operations or Village Cricket Innovation Lead - loads left to select )

Donā€™t see the problem with it myself, just sound like a bunch of old timers/miserable awls gits stuck firmly in the past.

Move with the times. Village cricket or not, some of the leagues in and around the country are far more professionally ran outfits than actual professional organisations, and as such if cricket clubs follow that route and want to use names like the aforementioned then so be it. I can guarantee those clubs will be the clubs that survive and thrive as opposed to the many ā€œvillageā€ outfits that have gone to the wall in recent years.

Yours,
Cricket Development Manager (Former Head of Cricket & Club Development - already thinking of my next one, maybe Associate Director of Cricket Operations or Village Cricket Innovation Lead - loads left to select )

I know we only having a bit of a laugh mate, but donā€™t think itā€™s about been stuck in the past or moving forward, more about clubs and people thinking they better than they are, and absorbed in their own self importance and forgetting what local cricket is about.

Last edited:

Yours,
The fact is, despite the fancy titles there were more teams, more people playing and dare I say it, a better standard of play !!

yours

A miserable old git šŸ˜œ

Yours,

Use to just be called committee men in my day seemed to work ok without these
grand titles think its peopleā€™s egos that needs them

How will they manage without a bloke with a fancy title ?

Theyā€™ll have a few more committee men to replace his expertise šŸ˜‚

The fact is, despite the fancy titles there were more teams, more people playing and dare I say it, a better standard of play !!

yours

A miserable old git šŸ˜œ

Agreed on all points you miserable auld geet! šŸ˜œ without the fancy titles thereā€™ll definitely be even more of a decline.

I know we only having a bit of a laugh mate, but donā€™t think itā€™s about been stuck in the past or moving forward, more about clubs and people thinking they better than they are, and absorbed in their own self importance and forgetting what local cricket is about.

Also agreed, my own self importance and ego will hopefully be feathered more by my next new title as part of the DNECL - thinking something along the lines of - Executive Cricket Operations Officer or DNECL COO for short... got a lovely professional, egotistical, self important ring to it, perfect šŸ˜

Back