2020 Local Cricket Rumours & Transfers

Anyone else heard that Horden have folded or just getting mixed up because they not putting teams out for this shortened season

That’s a lad very worthy of a grand title to be fair

Wholeheartedly agree my mate!

Always thought that folk understood Alec is taking the mick 95% of the time. And the other 5% he’s probably lying anyway! Not here to defend him, he’s a big lad & can do that himself. Not that there’s anything to defend, of course!

The ‘ELOPA Oval’ craic is a bit of fun at the expense of just such clubs to whom you are referring, such as the NEPL’s most successful club over the last 20 years, for instance, who have a nickname for their ground 🙄 They described Burnmoor as a ‘sh*t hole’.....shortly after defeat there last year. I guess it’s a tongue-in-cheek reminder of that?

Also,ELOPA is Alec’s own business, hence easy to throw that into the gag.

Burnmoor still play at The Village Ground, you’ll be pleased to learn! 😉

Bit of a non-story this, really.

‘Cricket club replaces Pakistani overseas player, no longer able to travel due to COVID restrictions and Durham contracted player, selected in England’s ODI training squad, with one bloke recently released by Durham’ would perhaps be a more accurate, if less eyebrow-raising headline?

And as for the money angle, it could also read: ‘Cricket club saves fortune whilst hoping to remain competitive, by trading two professional players & lots of travel & digs costs, for one recently unemployed, former professional player’?

🤷🏻‍♂️

This forum just got a whole lot better with your inclusion Doc! 😜
Anyone else heard that Horden have folded or just getting mixed up because they not putting teams out for this shortened season

Have definitely not folded.

Each to their own and they can spend their money as they see fit, but surely in a 2 month season of 40 over games, with no relegation and when the bar has been shut for 3 months, you would save a few quid.

Also any player unhappy with being told there is no money for them after what has happened this year, is not the type of player I would want around my club. Still I'm sure they will find a way to make a few bob.

A great bar in its hey day. Great club too and would love to see them get back to former glories.

I’ve spoken to a couple of their lads in last couple of weeks and they’re running juniors Coaching sessions and games and hopeful of a return to senior cricket in 2021.

Yeah the bar in it’s time was thriving in both the winter and the summer as well as playing cricket for Horden, played for Saturday and Sunday football sides who based themselves there.

Had some great times in the club but like a lot of pubs nowadays, sadly a shadow of what they once were!

Back