2020 Local Cricket Rumours & Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed on all points you miserable auld geet! 😜 without the fancy titles there’ll definitely be even more of a decline.
a lovely professional, egotistical, self important ring to it, perfect 😁

😂 You know you aren’t the pompous individual I was referring to and as to your perfect, professional ring (or however you described it) ...... definitely No Comment !
Keep up the good work at Littletown, you are all doing a fine job
Also agreed, my own self importance and ego will hopefully be feathered more by my next new title as part of the DNECL - thinking something along the lines of - Executive Cricket Operations Officer or DNECL COO for short... got a lovely professional, egotistical, self important ring to it, perfect 😁

In that case I’m just glad your not Cricket Operations Officer North Tyneside

Last edited:

It’s comforting to see that despite everyone’s great concerns for the survival of local cricket clubs some have managed to come through all of this with even more cash to spend than seemingly possible. They must have more players on the payroll than Durham at this rate now they’re picking up the ones they’re releasing.

It’s comforting to see that despite everyone’s great concerns for the survival of local cricket clubs some have managed to come through all of this with even more cash to spend than seemingly possible. They must have more players on the payroll than Durham at this rate now they’re picking up the ones they’re releasing.
There was an ECB grant of £10k (i think) available for COVID-19. Dont think it was means tested too much but I guess it could be be spent in any way they see fit for a season of friendlies

Always enjoyed the description ‘stalwart’ when when it appeared in the papers.

Description of a slightly aging and reliable player over the years for a club.

Anyone name their ‘stalwarts’?

Elopa Oval!! it’s a village cricket ground FFS
Always thought that folk understood Alec is taking the mick 95% of the time. And the other 5% he’s probably lying anyway! Not here to defend him, he’s a big lad & can do that himself. Not that there’s anything to defend, of course!

The ‘ELOPA Oval’ craic is a bit of fun at the expense of just such clubs to whom you are referring, such as the NEPL’s most successful club over the last 20 years, for instance, who have a nickname for their ground 🙄 They described Burnmoor as a ‘sh*t hole’.....shortly after defeat there last year. I guess it’s a tongue-in-cheek reminder of that?

Also,ELOPA is Alec’s own business, hence easy to throw that into the gag.

Burnmoor still play at The Village Ground, you’ll be pleased to learn! 😉
Bit of a non-story this, really.

‘Cricket club replaces Pakistani overseas player, no longer able to travel due to COVID restrictions and Durham contracted player, selected in England’s ODI training squad, with one bloke recently released by Durham’ would perhaps be a more accurate, if less eyebrow-raising headline?

And as for the money angle, it could also read: ‘Cricket club saves fortune whilst hoping to remain competitive, by trading two professional players & lots of travel & digs costs, for one recently unemployed, former professional player’?

🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
The ‘ELOPA Oval’ craic is a bit of fun at the expense of just such clubs to whom you are referring, such as the NEPL’s most successful club over the last 20 years, for instance, who have a nickname for their ground 🙄 They described Burnmoor as a ‘sh*t hole’.....shortly after defeat there last year.
The same club also referred to Whitburn in the same terms after their firsts got mullered there last year.

I also seem to recall their captain being forced to make a written apology a few years back for social media comments he made regarding Whitburn's pitch.

They really are a prime example of a club that has ideas way above it's station.

Always thought that folk understood Alec is taking the mick 95% of the time. And the other 5% he’s probably lying anyway! Not here to defend him, he’s a big lad & can do that himself. Not that there’s anything to defend, of course!

The ‘ELOPA Oval’ craic is a bit of fun at the expense of just such clubs to whom you are referring, such as the NEPL’s most successful club over the last 20 years, for instance, who have a nickname for their ground 🙄 They described Burnmoor as a ‘sh*t hole’.....shortly after defeat there last year. I guess it’s a tongue-in-cheek reminder of that?

Also,ELOPA is Alec’s own business, hence easy to throw that into the gag.

Burnmoor still play at The Village Ground, you’ll be pleased to learn! 😉

‘Cricket club replaces Pakistani overseas player, no longer able to travel due to COVID restrictions and Durham contracted player, selected in England’s ODI training squad, with one bloke recently released by Durham’ would perhaps be a more accurate, if less eyebrow-raising headline?

And as for the money angle, it could also read: ‘Cricket club saves fortune whilst hoping to remain competitive, by trading two professional players & lots of travel & digs costs, for one recently unemployed, former professional player’?

🤷🏻‍♂️

Good because enjoyed many a game at the village ground and pleased they have not joined the rest of them with the self absorbed crap, tbh Burnmoor when I played years ago always seemed a down to earth club and pleased if still the same and even more pleased if they taking the piss out of that nonsense.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Glad you've mentioned non-stories as this is one for starters. I seem to remember the entire NEPL breathing a gigantic, collective sigh of relief upon hearing Sami wasn't 'reengaged' for the season long before COVID had put a stop to anything or cancelled the start of the season. I also seem to remember there being an announcement shortly after about how there had been little luck in replacing him with a Pro and the young lad from Newcastle had joined to play between uni MCCU commitments - forgive me for thinking some of the money 'saved' had already been allocated elsewhere!

For what it is worth, I think Weighell is a brilliant signing and very unfortunate not to be kept on at the County - I just hope the club have done the correct checks on playing availability and what is/is not allowed with regard to existing contracts and being paid to play whilst still being on furlough for the remainder of his Durham contract (as I understand will be the case for released players). I far prefer Local League player scandals to involve the club that borrow a ground from the Posh school failing to pay for a correct visa.

Glad you've mentioned non-stories as this is one for starters. I seem to remember the entire NEPL breathing a gigantic, collective sigh of relief upon hearing Sami wasn't 'reengaged' for the season long before COVID had put a stop to anything or cancelled the start of the season. I also seem to remember there being an announcement shortly after about how there had been little luck in replacing him with a Pro and the young lad from Newcastle had joined to play between uni MCCU commitments - forgive me for thinking some of the money 'saved' had already been allocated elsewhere!

For what it is worth, I think Weighell is a brilliant signing and very unfortunate not to be kept on at the County - I just hope the club have done the correct checks on playing availability and what is/is not allowed with regard to existing contracts and being paid to play whilst still being on furlough for the remainder of his Durham contract (as I understand will be the case for released players). I far prefer Local League player scandals to involve the club that borrow a ground from the Posh school failing to pay for a correct visa.
Nah, just another micky take. Sami’s replacement was already sorted at the time of that ‘announcement’ - again, just winding the ‘big boys’ up. Sami couldn’t return because of his new job as a coach, nothing to do with not being retained.

Young Simpson was obviously scheduled to be in Cardiff until July & he wanted somewhere to play when home, preferring to play Prem Div, with Newcastle being relegated. Coming off a couple of years of injury too, so just keen to get back to full tilt & establish himself.

Always lots of speculation about money & some people get their knickers in a twist over it but invariably, the truth is far less exotic than the rumour.

As for Weighell, I’m sure you needn’t worry & everything is fine. And I’m also happy to leave the controversy to other clubs. Interesting to note the player to whom the visa issue related was selected in the provisional Australia T20 squad to tour England in September. But yeah, he wasn’t on the pro ‘pathway’ at all when he came over......honest 🤔🤭

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back