**** 2017 Cycling Thread ****

I just signed on at my first club 10 of the year & both Ian Stannard & Jody Cundy here!
There are both off a good few places ahead of me so there's not much point in me trying to catch them like.
Post times up ....:lol:

advice time guys

garmin 520 or 820??

is the extra £60 for the 820 worth it for what appears to be an upgrade to touchscreen and not a great deal more??

To be honest when I eventually change from 509 I'd prefer if possible one of the new models if they came without touchscreen

Certainly in winter gloves etc touchscreen no good to me

To be honest when I eventually change from 509 I'd prefer if possible one of the new models if they came without touchscreen

Certainly in winter gloves etc touchscreen no good to me

My 810 works a treat with gloves on. It's not a screen like an iPhone. It's actually sensitive to pressure.

I can't comment on 509 as never used one, but recommend the 810. Navigation isn't fantastic, it's more of a guide!

My 810 works a treat with gloves on. It's not a screen like an iPhone. It's actually sensitive to pressure.

I can't comment on 509 as never used one, but recommend the 810. Navigation isn't fantastic, it's more of a guide!

Suffer with really cold hands in winter so often will have liners, gloves and lobster claw mitts on cold winter rides
Can just about to press a button on the side of the 500

its not for me, i'm perfectly happy with my 310xt but my mate is after an upgrade and as per usual he comes to me for advice

(so i come to you lot for advice)

some reviews say the touchscreen is super sensitive, whilst others say you cant get it to work with gloves on - which is helpful

:)

I was wrong about the start times - when I got to the start I discovered that Stannard was my f***ing minuteman! Didn't manage to catch the bugger like.
Re times, I would like to get some excuses in first:
It was my first test of the year.
I have not done much over the last 18 months or so & just now trying to get some fitness back - so in a shite place physically.
I did it on my old steel fixie & 87" gear - I know I would go faster with a bigger gear but don't have the strength to do that again yet.
It's a bit of a sporting course.
I'll be 63 next month you know.

I did 28 min and some seconds :) f***ing pathetic, eh? But hey.
Stannard did 19:58 I think - just 15sec off the course record. He was on a TT bike but just ordinary wheels - no disc. He rode out there too after a day's training. When I was rolling back to the village hall he was coming the other way on his way home. Gave me a respectful nod. Good lad.

I was wrong about the start times - when I got to the start I discovered that Stannard was my f***ing minuteman! Didn't manage to catch the bugger like.
Re times, I would like to get some excuses in first:
It was my first test of the year.
I have not done much over the last 18 months or so & just now trying to get some fitness back - so in a shite place physically.
I did it on my old steel fixie & 87" gear - I know I would go faster with a bigger gear but don't have the strength to do that again yet.
It's a bit of a sporting course.
I'll be 63 next month you know.

I did 28 min and some seconds :) f***ing pathetic, eh? But hey.
Stannard did 19:58 I think - just 15sec off the course record. He was on a TT bike but just ordinary wheels - no disc. He rode out there too after a day's training. When I was rolling back to the village hall he was coming the other way on his way home. Gave me a respectful nod. Good lad.

Sporting courses....that's your best excuse ...apart from yer age :lol:

even those pro's not know for time trialling are still capable of impressive rides against the clock.
Some of the domestic testers don't always realise that till they come up against them.

Just look what Marcin did last year to the 10 and 25 comp records ( 10 particularly) albeit he's a v good tester

For a mid level racing bike, what is a good place to start with pedals and cleats?

I've always been a mountain bike rider so have no idea where to start.

For a mid level racing bike, what is a good place to start with pedals and cleats?

I've always been a mountain bike rider so have no idea where to start.
I would agree with Look Keo for a road bike, but depending on what kind of riding you do - eg if you take a more leisurely approach than most of us deluded idiots you might want to consider something like the Shimano A520. I use these on my touring bike & usually on the fixie too and use touring shoes which have the cleat recessed, a bit like mtb shoes, so easier to walk around in. So if I use one of these bikes to, say, ride to the pub I can walk around in the pub like a normal person. I find they are also easier to clip into too.

Help please. I've got a horrible almost metallic creak on the CX. It's definitely on the back wheel and isn't bearings, could it be the freewheel. All 105 running gear, Mavic wheels/

Help please. I've got a horrible almost metallic creak on the CX. It's definitely on the back wheel and isn't bearings, could it be the freewheel. All 105 running gear, Mavic wheels/
Maybe a spoke? Get the rear wheel re-tensioned maybe.

I would agree with Look Keo for a road bike, but depending on what kind of riding you do - eg if you take a more leisurely approach than most of us deluded idiots you might want to consider something like the Shimano A520. I use these on my touring bike & usually on the fixie too and use touring shoes which have the cleat recessed, a bit like mtb shoes, so easier to walk around in. So if I use one of these bikes to, say, ride to the pub I can walk around in the pub like a normal person. I find they are also easier to clip into too.
I went for similar when I got my road bike after gravitating over from leisure rides on the mtb but got the A530 and haven't regretted it, don't see myself making the move to full on road clips, can't see any additional benefit from them. You get a flat on one side and the clip on the other
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/

Logon or register to see this image

You sure it's not the bottom bracket? Might be irrelevant but press fit BBs like BB30 are notorious for creaking.
Am going to have a look at it anyway, as there is a click, under load. That I'm sure is the BB. The bike has just completed it's 2nd winter so has been through a lot of salt and sh!t. Must say it has coped admirably well.
I think I am going to get my hand in my pocket soon. :(
Roubaix is up 10 2500 miles and never been touched, sorely tempted to upgrade to 11 speed.
MTB needs a new rear shock
CX just needs a bit of love, hopefully.

Back