I don’t see why he is There were no black characters in WWII films like Saving Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge or countless others despite many black American soldiers serving, because all US units were segregated, whereas in Vietnam films there are. There’s no point in even making the film if he’s not trying to reflect the time, good or bad.
They are put under pressure to include minorities in film though, I'm not sure if this was his decision why to do it.

People were criticising dunkirk for featuring no black actors at the time.

You would certainly not have had a Sun'land lad, a jock, a brummie and a cockney in the same platoon, so having a Sikh in there was no big deal. He did the best piss-take 'snotty officer' voice anyway! Fox is an attention-seeking WUM, going by his performance on Question Time, and probably in the pay of Dominic Cummings.
By the time 1917 came round that's probably not true. As ranks were decimated, the more they had to make them up as the war went along so they might have all joined up and fought initially in regional groups but by the end of that war?

Yep, I'd go along with that. I think I was maybe expecting more of a spectacle - if you can call the horrors of trench warfare that. Still some good scenes and I quite like how it was shot - the long takes following the leads to make it seem like one continuous shot in real time. I was quite moved by the first wave over the top.

Yep - agree.

I suppose you could argue that's a perspective the lads on the ground never had. I think it was enough to see the contrast between no man's land, and the idyllic countryside behind the line at the end.

What podcast might that be marra?
Sorry - read back and found it. Ta. Just ordered that book too.

Thought that geordie sounded terrible. Anly thing missing was a plug for the latest Sunday for Sammy DVD. *shudder*

:lol: He had fuckin' heaps of it!

He's ganna have a fuckin' fit when he gans to see David Copperfield then...

You could mate and I can’t comprehend or never want to what they endured for us, heroes every single one of them, perhaps I’m looking for a 1918 follow up with gumph 👍

Listened to that first Dan Carlin podcast... very good. Makes an excellent argument for Princip (no, I couldn't have recalled the name previously either) being the one man to have changed the course of history forever.

Listened to that first Dan Carlin podcast... very good. Makes an excellent argument for Princip (no, I couldn't have recalled the name previously either) being the one man to have changed the course of history forever.
I never knew he missed his chance only for the arch dukes car to pull up outside the cafe he was in, facilitating the assassination after all .On such things hung the lives of millions

Last edited:
BBC R4 did a great series commemorating the anniversary. It was narrated and acted out based on real diaries and events from the rank and file of the day - on a day to day basis on the exact day it happened 100 years ago. It also included stories from the commonwealth view of things, Sikhs and Muslims etc. Good listening.

Saw it today in iSense.

Really well filmed and liked the way it was one continuous shot. That and the format made it feel more real. Nothing was glorified and it was all harrowing and brutal which gives more empathy to the sacrifices men made. Found it emotional and was subdued at the end.

I never knew he missed his chance only for the arch dukes car to pull up outside the cafe he was in, facilitating the assassination after all .On such things hung the lives of millions

If you read up about the aftermath there were plenty of opportunities for the two alliances (Britain, France, and Russia of the Triple Entente against Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Italy of Triple Alliance) to draw back... this was the last hurrah of the absolute monarchs of Europe and an arms race funded & fuelled by rampant capitalism.

a
If you read up about the aftermath there were plenty of opportunities for the two alliances (Britain, France, and Russia of the Triple Entente against Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Italy of Triple Alliance) to draw back... this was the last hurrah of the absolute monarchs of Europe and an arms race funded & fuelled by rampant capitalism.
There is a dramatisation of the diplomacy called 37 days
Very good .

Back