Yeah the french at least did quick rotation , i think the poor jerries were there for longer stints . Give Dan Carlins pod cast a listen if you haven't absolutely spell binding and informative . I've read about ww1 for 40 years but never thought about the true individual human reality of it until I listened to it .
Great podcast

Just watched it 6/10 at best for me. Too many cockney accents and it just didn't transmit the absolute chaos and fear enough for me. A bit like watching someone in a ww1 theme park .
I acknowledge its a hard thing to do a ww1 epic but this wasn't a good attempt , one minute he's in no mans land (which was reasonably done ) next he's alone in green fields and standing trees with blossom next to a grazing cow . The way miles of area would have been affected was just airbrushed . Plus the Germans couldnt shoot straight :lol:

It was definitely incongruous and it would have been a better recognition to have shown a whole lndian battalion .
Despite this there were black Britons in 'white battalions' the book "black poppies " gives some examples and life stories
I actually enjoyed the movie,but there was a few hmnnn moments.

Mendes is in a no win situation, he knows if there are no minorities in feature roles he will be pulled up on it - and if he includes a minority where there shouldn't be one he will also be pulled up on it.
I don’t see why he is There were no black characters in WWII films like Saving Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge or countless others despite many black American soldiers serving, because all US units were segregated, whereas in Vietnam films there are. There’s no point in even making the film if he’s not trying to reflect the time, good or bad.

Saw it at the Tyneside this evening. Very well made. Agree with some of the criticisms above but the run through No Man's Land was perfectly atmospheric and will stick in my mind for a while.

The Hungarian film Son of Saul has a very similar direction style, set in Auschwitz.

I had twitchy feet during that part, more so where his hand ended up 🤢

And those rats! I’d be giving them kick if they wandered past me!

I had twitchy feet during that part, more so where his hand ended up 🤢

And those rats! I’d be giving them kick if they wandered past me!
All i could think after that was " oh a hand pierced through with barbed wire on putrid entrails , no antibiotics , hello tetanus or gangrene " must have been a massive problem
Just checked it out they actually introduced tetanus vaccine in 1914, war drives medicine again

Last edited:
Just watched it 6/10 at best for me. Too many cockney accents and it just didn't transmit the absolute chaos and fear enough for me. A bit like watching someone in a ww1 theme park .
I acknowledge its a hard thing to do a ww1 epic but this wasn't a good attempt , one minute he's in no mans land (which was reasonably done ) next he's alone in green fields and standing trees with blossom next to a grazing cow . The way miles of area would have been affected was just airbrushed . Plus the Germans couldnt shoot straight :lol:

Agree with the enemies not being able to shoot straight, but then again that's my criticism of a very large number of action films.

Agree with the enemies not being able to shoot straight, but then again that's my criticism of a very large number of action films.
True , i had just hoped for more from this i think and am a bit disappointed .
I think the problem is that anything that can even come close to satisfactorily catching ww1 would be by definition a horror movie and need to be cert 18 thus cutting its box office . You cant do it on 15 cert.

All i could think after that was " oh a hand pierced through with barbed wire on putrid entrails , no antibiotics , hello tetanus or gangrene " must have been a massive problem
Just checked it out they actually introduced tetanus vaccine in 1914, war drives medicine again

That bloke didn’t have much luck did he as the film progressed?

I was expecting him to be shot by his own side at one point, when they all going over the top and he’s going in the opposite direction.

That bloke didn’t have much luck did he as the film progressed?

I was expecting him to be shot by his own side at one point, when they all going over the top and he’s going in the opposite direction.
:lol: aye you couldnt just have a run about with no rifle i expect... although I'm sure men who had lost it running amok wasn't an uncommon sight

True , i had just hoped for more from this i think and am a bit disappointed .
I think the problem is that anything that can even come close to satisfactorily catching ww1 would be by definition a horror movie and need to be cert 18 thus cutting its box office . You cant do it on 15 cert.

Yeah, there's only so much a film can legitimately do other than shine a small bit of light on the depravity of it.
As an aside, I was actually laughing when he was strangling that German whilst his pissed mate in the background wasn't aware of them.

Last edited:

Back