Apologies if someone has mentioned it, as I haven't read the whole thread.

There is an excellent book called "Forgotten voices of the Somme". It is accounts of people who fought there, including William Chapman's from Easington Lane.

If anything wants to read more, there's a whole series of accounts, including from the Navy, RAF and of what I've seen the best is
" The autobiography of the British Soldier" as it says from Agincourt to Basra, in his owns words.
Even peoples stories of barracks life.
Absolutely fascinating historical accounts.

This is a film that had to be seen on the big screen with the cinema speakers doing the atmosphere making.

Doesn’t hold up too well on a telly.

One of the best films I’ve ever seen at the cinema, but I’d give it 7/10 on a small screen as others have said.

This is a film that had to be seen on the big screen with the cinema speakers doing the atmosphere making.

Doesn’t hold up too well on a telly.

One of the best films I’ve ever seen at the cinema, but I’d give it 7/10 on a small screen as others have said.
Wasnt' even that good on the big screen.
The story was basically crap and predictable. The action scenes were no better than SP Ryan.

I've seen 1917 once, at the cinema. I've seen SPR about 5 times.
If I had to watch one right now, I know exactly which it would be. Exactly the same with Dunkirk.

5/10 for me.

Trying too hard to be as gruesome as possible in the most predictable manner. Misses the point of how horrible the war was by doing this. Doesn’t do the subject justice in my opinion, but maybe then again, the films that do don’t always bring in the cash.

Watched it in the cinema, absolutely no interest in watching it again.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I found Journey’s End captured the horror of the war and the difficulty the soldier’s faced in a far more thought provoking manner. I was very aware that I was watching a film when watching 1917. Acting didn’t help.

Just watched on tv over the weekend. Disappointed to say the least. Sets, props, effects etc very good. Plot very weak. Lead characterisations paper thin. Zero back story.

Tremendous film, cinema obvioulsy better but watched it multiple times.

maybe would have been better with Sly Stallone and The Rock in the lead roles instead of two understated actors playing simple tommies. Directors can’t win some times.

Back