11 albums from 1994

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever considered that you just like heavier stuff?

I like good music whether it's light or heavy. One of my all-time favourite albums is Counting Crows' August And Everything After for example, and the Chris Cornell solo album I was talking about earlier as being my favourite Cornell work is lighter than both Audioslave and Soundgarden.

I like good music whether it's light or heavy. One of my all-time favourite albums is Counting Crows' August And Everything After for example, and the Chris Cornell solo album I was talking about earlier as being my favourite Cornell work is lighter than both Audioslave and Soundgarden.
agreed

Fuck me, was that 1994 too? Top album and definitely should be on any discerning music fan's "remembering 1994" list.
ugh disagreed! few good songs but the beginning of the end for Therapy?
Pleasure Death and Babyteeth were their best stuff

Ffs, man, lad. Never known anyone overthink music so much.

It comes from writing, performing and producing it for years mate. You can't do any of that without analysing music and thinking about this sort of stuff.

:cool:

ugh disagreed! few good songs but the beginning of the end for Therapy?
Pleasure Death and Babyteeth were their best stuff

You're kidding me?! Troublegum is one of my go-to selections whenever there's a conversation about "all killer, no filler" albums!

I agree they went massively downhill afterwards, like.

Last edited:
You're kidding me?! Troublegum is one of my go-to selections whenever there's a conversation about "all killer, no filler" albums!

I agree they went massively downhill afterwards, like.
Few good songs alright but for all killer no filler its pleasure death/babyteeth

Few good songs alright but for all killer no filler its pleasure death/babyteeth

I don't know those two. I only got on board with them after hearing Screamager on Radio 1 for the first time on my way to college one day in the early 90's and then got back off when I heard their next album. Iirc I had a cassette copy of Hats Off To The Insane but I never ventured any further into their earlier catalogue.

I'll have to check them out. Cheers for the recommendation.

I still say Troublegum's all killer though. Some of the tracks I wasn't so fussed about at first like Femtex and Lunacy Booth ended up being some of my favourite tracks on the album after a few years.

I don't know those two. I only got on board with them after hearing Screamager on Radio 1 for the first time on my way to college one day in the early 90's and then got back off when I heard their next album. Iirc I had a cassette copy of Hats Off To The Insane but I never ventured any further into their earlier catalogue.

I'll have to check them out. Cheers for the recommendation.

I still say Troublegum's all killer though. Some of the tracks I wasn't so fussed about at first like Femtex and Lunacy Booth ended up being some of my favourite tracks on the album after a few years.
They were mini eps, 6 songs each. May have been repackaged as one complete album at some stage. Potato junkie was on pleasure death which I presume they still play live.

Fun fact my best mates Mam is married to their manager. Used be great for free tickets back in the day.

Are you into Matchbox 20 as well?

I love their first 3 albums but haven't been bothered with their later stuff.
I know of them but would be hard pressed to name a song. Any recommendations?

I thought Nurse was their best album. It had Teethgrinder and Disgracelands on it.
I’d be find it hard to muster up any enthusiasm for nurse tbh.

Last edited:

If you're into that Counting Crows album then the first three M20 albums are must-listen as far as I'm concerned.

On the first album, Yourself Or Someone Like You they were mostly towards the angsty alternative light rock angle. The big single was Push but the whole album is great.

Girl Like That:

Busted:

Argue:

Hang:

On the second album, Mad Season, they had a bit more of a budget and started introducing things like horns and strings occasionally. It's got a few moments that I'm a little bit "meh" about (mainly the horns on the song Black And White People tbh, which is a great song but after the first album, hearing the horn section is slightly jarring IMO) but on the whole the album's well worth hearing and the final track You Won't Be Mine is probably my favourite track of theirs overall.

Angry:

Rest Stop:

Stop:

You Won't Be Mine:

The third album, More Than You Think You Are, has much higher quality production again and has some fantastic moments that peak up there with just about anything they've done but overall I reckon I probably prefer the first album just about. Any use of orchestration on this third album is much more in fitting with the music whereas occasionally on the 2nd album it feels a bit stuck on top if you know what I mean.

Feel:

Could I Be You:

Downfall:

Bright Lights:

I mention M20 in the same breath as Counting Crows because both bands have very capable, very emotional vocalists. The two bands are friends with each other too and I think have toured together at least once. Everyone I've ever met that has liked one of them has also liked the other, put it that way.

Last edited:
If you're into that Counting Crows album then the first three M20 albums are must-listen as far as I'm concerned.

On the first album, Yourself Or Someone Like You they were mostly towards the angsty alternative light rock angle. The big single was Push but the whole album is great.

Girl Like That:

Busted:

Argue:

Hang:

On the second album, Mad Season, they had a bit more of a budget and started introducing things like horns and strings occasionally. It's got a few moments that I'm a little bit "meh" about (mainly the horns on the song Black And White People tbh, which is a great song but after the first album, hearing the horn section is slightly jarring IMO) but on the whole the album's well worth hearing and the final track You Won't Be Mine is probably my favourite track of theirs overall.

Angry:

Rest Stop:

Stop:

You Won't Be Mine:

The third album, More Than You Think You Are, has much higher quality production again and has some fantastic moments that peak up there with just about anything they've done but overall I reckon I probably prefer the first album just about. Any use of orchestration on this third album is much more in fitting with the music whereas occasionally on the 2nd album it feels a bit stuck on top if you know what I mean.

Feel:

Could I Be You:

Downfall:

Bright Lights:

I mention M20 in the same breath as Counting Crows because both bands have very capable, very emotional vocalists. The two bands are friends with each other too and I think have toured together at least once. Everyone I've ever met that has liked one of them has also liked the other, put it that way.
Cheers! That’s a lot of effort in that post!

Loved August and everything after by counting crows but they never really matched it for me again.

My absolute favourite thing of Cornell's is probably his first solo album Euphoria Morning that he did with the two songwriters from the band Eleven, although Superunknown is close behind.
That's an excellent album, Alain Johannes has a pretty impressive back catalogue

Cheers! That’s a lot of effort in that post!

No probs matey. Happy to make an effort to recommend music. :)

Loved August and everything after by counting crows but they never really matched it for me again.

Yeah, I like their second album Recovering The Satellites too but it's always going to be hard for them to beat that first one. It's just too good. :lol:

I wasn't fussed with the more talky route the singer took for the Across A Wire live album they did a few years afterwards, but Hard Candy's worth a listen.

That's an excellent album, Alain Johannes has a pretty impressive back catalogue

Yeah, him and his co-writer Natasha Schreiber (R.I.P.) were a songwriting force.

Did you hear their song "Time For Miracles" that Adam Lambert did for the movie 2012? Schreiber died of cancer in 2008, the song and movie were released about a year later.

Heartbreaking listening to it knowing she died before he recorded it.

Last edited:
Yeah, him and his co-writer Natasha Schreiber (R.I.P.) were a songwriting force.

Did you hear their song "Time For Miracles" that Adam Lambert did for the movie 2012? Schreiber died of cancer in 2008, the song and movie were released about a year later.

Heartbreaking listening to it knowing she died before he recorded it.
I don't know that, I'll check it out thanks. I became aware of the two of them when they recorded Songs for the Deaf. As you say tragic that she died so young but I like AJ's stuff on the Desert Sessions, Them Crooked Vultures and Sound City Players (even if that was only one song)

I don't know that, I'll check it out thanks. I became aware of the two of them when they recorded Songs for the Deaf. As you say tragic that she died so young but I like AJ's stuff on the Desert Sessions, Them Crooked Vultures and Sound City Players (even if that was only one song)

Here you go...

Girl Like That:

Busted:

Argue:

Hang:

Angry:

Rest Stop:

Stop:

You Won't Be Mine:

Feel:

Could I Be You:

Downfall:

Bright Lights:

Those album covers are awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back