11 albums from 1994

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like good music whether it's light or heavy. One of my all-time favourite albums is Counting Crows' August And Everything After for example, and the Chris Cornell solo album I was talking about earlier as being my favourite Cornell work is lighter than both Audioslave and Soundgarden.
Amazing LP.:cool:

A great list of LP's that sat well on a single compact disc... how we should laugh at those who pay more for less for the vinyl version....

Girls who are boys ,Who like boys to be girls ,Who do boys like they're girls ,Who do girls like they're boys

...it's no the wonder the children of the baby boomers gave birth to the mentally fluid gendered generation.

Just realised that Skin (UK rock band, not the singer of Skunk Anansie) released their first album in 1994 too!

ROCKIN!!!!!

Divine Intervention by Slayer

Also Burn My Eyes by Machine Head!

I won a pair of backstage passes to Slayer and Machine Head on that tour! Awesome night that was!

I know every word of that album :oops: Neville is still a hell of a singer.

No need for shame! It's a quality album!

I introduced the missus to this album this year and she's addicted to it. She's got it on constantly in her car, singing along to it. :cool:

In fact right now as I'm typing this she's made me put Which Are The Tears on LOUD. :D

Last edited:
Nah man, take his vocal lines when he's doing his usual end-of-song or instrumental break ad-libs for example. On Audioslave those parts tend to be very repetitive with very little layering or variation as if they've not spent too much time jamming out the tracks before recording them, or to experiment with parts in the studio. Compare this with similar parts on Superunknown where it's obvious they've taken a long time to jam it out, experiment and come up with alternative parts.

The same could be said for the guitar parts. As much as I rate Tom Morello for his individualistic style of playing, a lot of it can be very repetitive. Compare this with the Kim Thayil/Cornell parts on the Soundgarden stuff where they sound much more processed, less raw, and create a proper soundscape instead of just "here's the guitar part, right we're done."

Don't get me wrong, there's a place in music for a more raw sound (like I said, I love the RATM stuff and it's probably in part because of that rawness) and a place for that "get the album out ASAP" mentality, like when say the likes of Dream Theater write and record an album in two weeks. It's an interesting method and when you take the album in that context it can be amazing, but in both cases - Cornell and Dream Theater - I prefer the albums where it sounds like they've spent more time on it, jammed it out for a while, experimented in the studio for as long as it takes, than the ones where they sound like they've rushed to get it done.

At times that Audioslave album sounds like the band and the singer had never been in the same room together to jam the songs out - they've just emailed each other their parts and stuck them on top of each other.

I dunno, it sounds like I'm being a bit unfair to Audioslave. I do love plenty of their tracks and would defend them to the hilt against anyone trying to say that some shite like Oasis were a better band. I just liked Soundgarden and RATM more.
I think we differ on a fundamental level. You're far too rigid.

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if seb. But I see your 1994 and Raise you 1991. Nevermind, Loveless, Screamadelica, Blue Lines, Out of Time, Bandwagonesque...

Obviously personal preference, but I’d have put Regulate G Funk Era and Ready to Die in there ahead of Nas. I think pretty much every critic and music expert in the world disagrees with me though :lol:
I’d have snoop’s doggystyle ahead of warren G mind. The things near perfect from start to finish imo

Edit: turns out it was released November 1993

Last edited:
Innovation alive and well in 94:cool::lol:

What they lacked in innovation, they made up for with hard working and ubiquity.

Didn't matter what rock band you went to see around 94ish, Skin always seemed to be supporting. Them or The Little Angels. Or both.

Reactions: Boy
What they lacked in innovation, they made up for with hard working and ubiquity.

Didn't matter what rock band you went to see around 94ish, Skin always seemed to be supporting. Them or The Little Angels. Or both.

Little Angels split up mid way through 1994, they’re more 1991 era.

Skin though, I saw them more times than I care to admit around that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back