11 albums from 1994

While you lot are arguing over washed up indie denizens I'll argue what a great year for electronic it was. Not on that list were:
Aphex Twin -- SAW Vol II
Global Communication -- 76:14
Autechre -- Amber
FSOL -- Lifeforms
Biosphere -- Patashnik
Robert Hood -- Internal Empire
etc.

Exactly. Record production has not been improved upon since the 70s (arguably 60s) and that's a fact. Over-production is vile.

That's just drivel.

Black Hole Sun's a great record. The album, not so much.

The album's immense! It's so eclectic! Black Hole Sun's one of the most mainstream tracks on it. Some of the other tracks are way out there in terms of inventiveness. From the kickass tracks like Let Me Drown and Kickstand, the grinding yet melodic tracks like Mailman, Fourth Of July and Fresh Tendrils, the trippy mentalness of songs like Half and Head Down... and yet it flows naturally somehow. It's just superb from beginning to end.

And he's only on about the grunge scene there, not the entire rock genre. I'm not sure how a Sabbathy Zeppalike album recorded over 20 years after it's predecessors can be described as a genre redefining. The same can be levelled at Pearl Jam.

He does mention the rock genre as a whole at one point in that vid.

Sure there's bits of Sabbath and Zep in there occasionally but it's not excessive. To label it as a "Sabbathy Zeppalike" album is to do it a gross injustice. It's not like a Wolfmother or Greta Van Fleet album where they just blatantly rip off the bands that influenced them to such a degree that they're practically cover bands.

And 70 minutes is far too long for any 'good' rock record.

Only if you have a short attention span. :p

Some of my favourite albums are in excess of 70m.

I’ve not listened to Terrorvision for years but that album and Shaving Peaches are both superb!

Their first album, Formaldehyde was awesome too.

Last edited:
That's just drivel.

The album's immense! It's so eclectic! Black Hole Sun's one of the most mainstream tracks on it. Some of the other tracks are way out there in terms of inventiveness. From the kickass tracks like Let Me Drown and Kickstand, the grinding yet melodic tracks like Mailman, Fourth Of July and Fresh Tendrils, the trippy mentalness of songs like Half and Head Down... and yet it flows naturally somehow. It's just superb from beginning to end.

He does mention the rock genre as a whole at one point in that vid.

Sure there's bits of Sabbath and Zep in there occasionally but it's not excessive. To label it as a "Sabbathy Zeppalike" album is to do it a gross injustice. It's not like a Wolfmother or Greta Van Fleet album where they just blatantly rip off the bands that influenced them to such a degree that they're practically cover bands.

Only if you have a short attention span. :p

Some of my favourite albums are in excess of 70m.

Their first album, Formaldehyde was awesome too.
Eclectic is the last thing I'd call it.

Rock album's shouldn't last longer than a single LP.

Then I'd suggest giving it another listen, because it very much is. :)

It's a single CD. Nowt wrong with that IMO. The space is there to be used, so why not use it?
Less is more.

I've literally just finished giving it another listen. It's very much of it's time/scene, and the only real standout thing about it is Black Hole Sun and Cornell's voice. Prefer Audioslave to be honest.

Less is more.

I've literally just finished giving it another listen. It's very much of it's time/scene, and the only real standout thing about it is Black Hole Sun and Cornell's voice. Prefer Audioslave to be honest.

I like Audioslave, but for me they never quite lived up to what I was hoping for from a band made up of members from two of my favourite bands.

My absolute favourite thing of Cornell's is probably his first solo album Euphoria Morning that he did with the two songwriters from the band Eleven, although Superunknown is close behind.

I like Audioslave, but for me they never quite lived up to what I was hoping for from a band made up of members from two of my favourite bands.

My absolute favourite thing of Cornell's is his first solo album Euphoria Morning that he did with the two songwriters from the band Eleven.
I put that down to the first RATM being exceptionally good.

Battle Of Los Angeles was awesome as well, although granted not quite up there with their first album.

Renegades and Evil Empire were a bit "meh", like.
Agreed with all that (though I'd file Renegades closer to shite).

By Audioslave I meant the first record by the way rather than the band. Stronger songs than Superunknown I feel (Black Hole Sun aside).

Agreed with all that (though I'd file Renegades closer to shite).

By Audioslave I meant the first record by the way rather than the band. Stronger songs than Superunknown I feel (Black Hole Sun aside).

Not sure I'd go along with that. It's a great record, no doubt, but I got tired of it really quickly after being massively in love with it when it first came out.

Set It Off is awesome, like. Cochise is really good too. Getaway Car is nice at the other end of the rockin' vs melody spectrum.

Show Me How To Live is probably my next favourite - it's rifftastic but feels a bit underdeveloped compared with anything on Superunknown IMO, and I feel that way about a lot of the album tbh: some really good ideas but that I felt could have done with them spending a little more time on to really get them flowing properly.

Not sure I'd go along with that. It's a great record, no doubt, but I got tired of it really quickly after being massively in love with it when it first came out.

Set It Off is awesome, like. Cochise is really good too. Getaway Car is nice at the other end of the rockin' vs melody spectrum.

Show Me How To Live is probably my next favourite - it's rifftastic but feels a bit underdeveloped compared with anything on Superunknown IMO, and I feel that way about a lot of the album tbh: some really good ideas but that I felt could have done with them spending a little more time on to really get them flowing properly.
My fave's currently playing - Like A Stone. I just think the songs are better developed. More of a pop sensibility. From memory though the album drifts later on - ower long ya see. ;)

My fave's currently playing - Like A Stone. I just think the songs are better developed. More of a pop sensibility. From memory though the album drifts later on - ower long ya see. ;)

Definitely more poppy, but that's a bad thing as far as I'm concerned - it makes them less developed to me. :D

Back