11 albums from 1994

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s never suede/blur/manics or any other fans that are desperate to tell us that “their” band is the best.
luckily there won't be many roses fan's trying to defend second coming (1994s biggest disappointment?) - which in some ways defines the roses as much as their debut stuff.

luckily there won't be many roses fan's trying to defend second coming (1994s biggest disappointment?) - which in some ways defines the roses as much as their debut stuff.
Funny how such a big deal was made at the time about the 5 year gap between albums, not sure it would be now.
Don't really listen to the second coming much but do think it was a great album, the disappointment was just down to it not being The Stone Roses 2.0

For me it feels like a natural progression from Momentary Lapse Of Reason (which I loved) to Division Bell. Similar feel to them both but with DB being a bit more laid back and having better production.
Not a fan of 'better production'. I'd rather listen to Robert Johnson for the music than some 'better produced' album.

Funny how such a big deal was made at the time about the 5 year gap between albums, not sure it would be now.
Don't really listen to the second coming much but do think it was a great album, the disappointment was just down to it not being The Stone Roses 2.0
i think it was an interview with mani where he reckoned that if their second album had been released in 1993, the reaction & legacy would be totally different. from memory it came out in December and by then blur\oasis\pulp had changed everything.

love spreads, breaking into heaven & begging you are all top top tunes imho.

What a year for music 1994 was.

Jimmy Nail got to number 2 in the album charts with Crocodile Shoes, and Harry Styles was born.

What a year for music 1994 was.

Jimmy Nail got to number 2 in the album charts with Crocodile Shoes, and Harry Styles was born.

top three selling singles (according to google) was Love Is All Around (Wet Wet Wet), Saturday Night (Whigfield) & I Swear (All-4-One).

top three selling singles (according to google) was Love Is All Around (Wet Wet Wet), Saturday Night (Whigfield) & I Swear (All-4-One).
Nowt wrong with saturday night, when a load of pissed up milfs are bouncing around to it.

Not a fan of 'better production'. I'd rather listen to Robert Johnson for the music than some 'better produced' album.
Exactly. Record production has not been improved upon since the 70s (arguably 60s) and that's a fact. Over-production is vile.

For example...

Black Hole Sun's a great record. The album, not so much. And he's only on about the grunge scene there, not the entire rock genre. I'm not sure how a Sabbathy Zeppalike album recorded over 20 years after it's predecessors can be described as a genre redefining. The same can be levelled at Pearl Jam.

Last edited:
A best of 1994 list without Soundgarden's Superunknown, Live's Throwing Copper, or Pink Floyd's Division Bell. :lol: What a load of shite!

Stone Temple Pilots' Purple, Pearl Jam's Vitalogy and Beck's Mellow Gold were all that year too. What a bollocks list. :lol:

Good shout, STP never got any critical acclaim, bit too clean for grunge, bit too grunge for the perm rockers. Purple and Core are great albums though.

Love them both. Just chucked on Purple after reading this thread.

I’m going to add Terrorvision’s How to Make Friends and Influence People because every track is class :cool:
I’ve not listened to Terrorvision for years but that album and Shaving Peaches are both superb!

I'm not a fan of production masking bad performance, bad musicianship or poor songwriting, but when you have good songs performed well and produced well, it's a magical combination. It doesn't have to be a tradeoff of music versus production.

I'm quite cynical every time music journos keep bringing up 1994 as their year to remember... its like an intentional ploy to do the Blur/Oasis thing and IMO re-writing musical history at same time :rolleyes:
The reality being that the year or years before (so 1992 & 1993) were probably much more relevant as a musical shift or where bands/artists made defining albums, therefore changing the direction of alternative music (I'm not talking rock or metal here) … but then they can't bring up the lazy journalism Blur/Oasis battle ;)
I remember in 1993 when Suede had established themselves, Pulp were still out on tour supporting St Etienne, or Bjork had broken solo from Sugar Cubes... then there were defining albums by Depeche Mode or PJ Harvey, and even New Order... Carter USM and Inspiral Carpets were the go to indie bands, while Blur had been spending too much time pre-Park Life wanting to sound like a Madchester band... and at festivals the headliners were Levellers, James, Morrissey, Shakespear's Sister, and indie bands like Curve or The Auteurs were getting attention.... fast forward 6 months and the likes of Steve Lemacq or NME suddenly wanted to generate a new movement because American artists from Nirvana to Smashing Pumpkins were stealing the limelight and they gave us Britpop … all they do now is repeat their story every few years and people buy into it :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back