11 albums from 1994

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm owt but. I've had Parklife as long as I've had Def Maybe, it's a decent record but I kna which is the better record and it's not by Blur. I had Parklife on for the first time in quite a while recently and I don't think it's aged as well and the album tracks aren't as strong. Blur and the Manics are best of bands really, and neither have aged particularly well.

Grace is was and always has been overrated wishy washy tripe, made famous by a take on a cover of a song that isn't even the best cover of that song and the tragic untimely death of the record's author.
:lol:
Like I said, head in the sand.

You must be nuts if you don't think Definitely Maybe is a brilliant album. It's superb. What became of the band and their output later has no relevance.

Definitely Maybe / Oasis are like riding a bike with stabilisers, they're nice and easy to listen to for the uneducated ear but then you grown up get rid of the stabilisers and realise that there's so much better stuff out there to listen to.
Think of it as the peter/jane learning to read books, a necessity so that you can then read proper novels.

Solidarity, brother. :cool:

Fucks sake man, haway lads its not 1995 anymore. Still arguing over who's the best of the two 25 years later :lol:
These kinda threads always run the same. A decent level of conversation until inevitably one of the oasis acolytes comes along to tell us that we’re all “crazy” if we think x y or z is better than definitely maybe or whatever and then it descends into the usual nonsense.

It’s never suede/blur/manics or any other fans that are desperate to tell us that “their” band is the best.

A best of 1994 list without Soundgarden's Superunknown, Live's Throwing Copper, or Pink Floyd's Division Bell. :lol: What a load of shite!

Stone Temple Pilots' Purple, Pearl Jam's Vitalogy and Beck's Mellow Gold were all that year too. What a bollocks list. :lol:

Last edited:
A best of 1994 list without Soundgarden's Superunknown, Live's Throwing Copper, or Pink Floyd's Division Bell. :lol: What a load of shite!

Stone Temple Pilots' Purple, Pearl Jam's Vitalogy and Beck's Mellow Gold were all that year too. What a bollocks list. :lol:
Love Floyd but it's a forgettable record and it's missing Waters.

Class aye. Apart from the track Bugs.

Love Floyd but it's a forgettable record and it's missing Waters.

Disagree about forgettable. It's their best-produced album if nothing else, and there are some cracking tracks on it.

For me it always felt like they were winding down after a massive career so it's not as inventive as any of the albums before it, but for sheer proficiency of songwriting and performing it was immense considering their ages at the time.

Tell you what, since the thread kind of turned into a Oasis / Blur battle from the 90's, everyone pick the best song by either, in your opinion of course.

Beetlebum by Blur for me.

there are some cracking tracks on it
it peaks & troughs too much, which for most albums is normal but they set their own bar pretty high - a floyd album shouldnt be pedestrian which i think it suffers from personally - but having stephen hawkings involved is a stella highlight to me...

but its not a best of list... its what they think are albums that defined 1994.... the problem will be that music is so personal that what defined 1994 to you will be different to what defined 1994 to me - i can't think of anything more 1994 to me than...

Logon or register to see this image

Ah, fair enough.

Still, Superunknown not being in there is a travesty. Widely regarded by rock musicians and fans alike as an album that redefined the genre and raised the bar so high that it left other bands of the time saying "Fuck me, what do we do now?"

Disagree about forgettable. It's their best-produced album if nothing else, and there are some cracking tracks on it.

For me it always felt like they were winding down after a massive career so it's not as inventive as any of the albums before it, but for sheer proficiency of songwriting and performing it was immense considering their ages at the time.
I dinnar what yay want to hear from production but I don't think I'm having that like.

it peaks & troughs too much, which for most albums is normal but they set their own bar pretty high - a floyd album shouldnt be pedestrian which i think it suffers from personally - but having stephen hawkings involved is a stella highlight to me...

For me it feels like a natural progression from Momentary Lapse Of Reason (which I loved) to Division Bell. Similar feel to them both but with DB being a bit more laid back and having better production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back