‘Methven til I die’...

Can't stand the bloke me, hate everything about him, comes across as a right moose on the new series.

Anyone actually like this clown.

Hate his stupid face aswell

he thinks he was the bloody pied piper. Had us Neanderthals eating out of his hand. Took on a hell of challenge fixing the finances and deserves a lot of credit for it, but don’t like him.
Hes getting praised because he came in and tried to fix it. The problem was he came in and was faced with staff that were incompetent and didn’t care. He was disliked because of where he was from, his upbringing, and telling some home truths. He was even spot on with his Jack Ross assesment which shocked me. He only fucked off because of the abuse he was recieving from simple people

please don’t blame the staff. He had quite sufficent turnover to get a team together that would work the way he wanted them to. Blaming nobodies and shaming them in public and on TV is not leadership.
He was only interested in Charlie Methven, his own brand, his own ego.
.... and I’ve defended the job he was doing on here loads. It was tough. But please don’t blame the rank and file

Last edited:

Watched the Chelsea 3-2 in full , the Everton 3-0 in full on youtube last night. Tonight I watched the 98/99 season in the Championship. All on youtube.
Sickening to see what a force we were potentially becoming at the turn of the century. Other clubs and managers were in awe of us , the fans , the team and stadium. How we have failed to galvanise our potential to any sustainable degree of relative success , beggars belief. I have to listen to pricks who support Liverpool in the North West, tell me were insignificant and clubs like Derby and Forest are bigger. The arrogance of these glory hunters is sickening.

Watched the Chelsea 3-2 in full , the Everton 3-0 in full on youtube last night. Tonight I watched the 98/99 season in the Championship. All on youtube.
Sickening to see what a force we were potentially becoming at the turn of the century. Other clubs and managers were in awe of us , the fans , the team and stadium. How we have failed to galvanise our potential to any sustainable degree of relative success , beggars belief. I have to listen to pricks who support Liverpool in the North West, tell me were insignificant and clubs like Derby and Forest are bigger. The arrogance of these glory hunters is sickening.
..wouldn't rise to it.

They are bigger though

They are bigger though

Some of them don't like to hear any credit given to any other club or its supporters. They want some kind of monopoly. The worst kind of fan in my opinion and Liverpool appear to have more than any other club in my experience . Whether they've been winning trophies or not, they have this vibe that football belongs to them.

On the other hand when the lad offered up an idea about the Checkatrade final tickets he immediately shot him down. If he'd been doing that all season then it's no wonder people didn't offer anything up. Generally the attitude of the staff didn't come across well but I'm not going to damn either party on the evidence of a few minutes of footage across a 12 month period. The way the club has been operating over the last decade I think it's certain that there are people at the club who aren't pulling their weight and it would be no surprise to see some of them worn down by a general malaise even if they were ambitious at one point.

Either the finance team were crap at their job (for a number of years) or like Hill talking to Donald on deadline day they were just ignored.

As a complete neutral I have to agree with Mike here. I think the way it was edited may have done the club staff a disservice. Look at the first episode where Methaven did A "Glenngarry Glenn Ross" lite speech about how F'ed up the club is. I'm sorry it was cringe playing to the camera. The fans and the dinnerlady made it watchable. Donald wanting to go back to the glory of Football which is adnirable sentiment but Bosman has happened. When Naja scored his first 3 goals They should of moved forward with the Idea he's gone. I presume the club kept some scouts then loan a striker from a Championship side. Use your name. Will Grigg both Ross and Hill said he was only worth £1.25m Donald's first obstacle he crumples and breaks his own budget at the first hurdle. Which could have been avoided if plans had been put in place while Naja was still there. This is how the show edited for me there was no back up so you were up the creek on deadline day. Back to methaven, The kid made a Great point about tickets and is shot down straight away Donald ignore both an advisor and his manager, Methaven ignored him if thats happen all the time, why would input. Then the checkatrade which methaven knew he was miic'ed and being shot more cringe to prove he's one of the "lads" so much so his wife told him to behave. Donald wanted to be a front man. But if I was a billionaire and watched how he was portrayed The ignoring your advisor I'd question keeping him. It was good seeing the fans though

Knows his job and he realised straight away some of those staff were way out of their depth in those roles.
He was out of his depth. Hence he’s gone and they’re still here
Of course he came in and tried to fix it why wouldn't he? Its hardly praiseworthy to come in, try and fix it, fail and then fuck off in a year. You want hard nosed owners who can take the rough with the smooth, it comes with the territory. If you think that its OK to fuck off because fans start showing discontent than i'm surprised. You want people in those sort of positions to have a bit of backbone. Owners will always get criticism.
This.

Soft as shite

Unless he’s shouting at a woman
It’s kinda comical the episode where Charlie is spelling out the reason the club is going wrong to a group of employees who work desk jobs......
They should have said “hold on a minute, the finances are shot to bits because we’ve had years of overpaying on players, nowt to do with us”
“The club should have lived within in means and should never have speculated on players like Darren bent, Craig Gordon, Gyan, Adam Johnson , Stephen Fletcher, Fabio Borini.....etc etc”
“In the cold light of day, the very footballers who the fans idolise and wanted signed are the ones crippling ‘the club’ in debt”
“What we should have done many years ago was not taking out big loans to get expensive signings in because television revenue might not always be available”
Best post so far

Last edited:
Up to episode 5 and still struggling to see what he's doing wrong like.

The whole place needed a boot right up the arse. If the same people are here when Donald and Methven are gone, then we'll continue in the same way. How many times does the lesson have to be learned?

You have to take the messages from the series with a pinch of salt. Any editor can take 9 months of filming and tell whichever story the commissioning team want to portray.

Having said that and although CM is the management cliche king, our sales and marketing bunch were desperate - just absolute lack of focus on targets and their achievement - flippin fundamentals

Is that because she’s ‘a lass’ - I thought we were in an age of equality?
The staff dislike him because his ambition is an inconvenience to them. He’s holding them to account and asking them to achieve things.
Ive goto say I agree with him the people didn’t have the personality for the jobs they were in they all just sat there like wet lettuces looking all sour faced, surely in a marketing job you need a bit of oomph!
Up to episode 5 and still struggling to see what he's doing wrong like.

The whole place needed a boot right up the arse. If the same people are here when Donald and Methven are gone, then we'll continue in the same way. How many times does the lesson have to be learned?
I like him me he’s straight talking, nothing thing wrong with expecting people to be doing there jobs properly there was to many people just hiding in the shadows picking up a wage , it was embarrassingly when a room full of that many professionals didn’t even have the balls to ask a question
As a complete neutral I have to agree with Mike here. I think the way it was edited may have done the club staff a disservice. Look at the first episode where Methaven did A "Glenngarry Glenn Ross" lite speech about how F'ed up the club is. I'm sorry it was cringe playing to the camera. The fans and the dinnerlady made it watchable. Donald wanting to go back to the glory of Football which is adnirable sentiment but Bosman has happened. When Naja scored his first 3 goals They should of moved forward with the Idea he's gone. I presume the club kept some scouts then loan a striker from a Championship side. Use your name. Will Grigg both Ross and Hill said he was only worth £1.25m Donald's first obstacle he crumples and breaks his own budget at the first hurdle. Which could have been avoided if plans had been put in place while Naja was still there. This is how the show edited for me there was no back up so you were up the creek on deadline day. Back to methaven, The kid made a Great point about tickets and is shot down straight away Donald ignore both an advisor and his manager, Methaven ignored him if thats happen all the time, why would input. Then the checkatrade which methaven knew he was miic'ed and being shot more cringe to prove he's one of the "lads" so much so his wife told him to behave. Donald wanted to be a front man. But if I was a billionaire and watched how he was portrayed The ignoring your advisor I'd question keeping him. It was good seeing the fans though
The lads point on tickets was gonna result in the club loosing out on money which Charlie pointed out !

Last edited:
Forest have 2 European Cups and are a league above us

Not even up for an argument, some of our fans think we're a big club because we have a big stadium ... it's half empty most weeks

I don’t care what they have. We’ve overall a much better history and tradition and a far bigger fan base, so much so that we get better attendances than them now even though we’re f***ing it up a league below them and they’re going for promotion to the Prem. As for your Derby argument well that’s even more ridiculous.

He not a likeable person and his manner and how he spoke to people, I wouldn't like working for him. He did have a point though aboit the staff. They just didn't seem to care or look motivated at all, but that could be just how it was edited.

Just binge watched his last series, he played a blinder do our Charlie!

new to forum and once had a season ticket at Sunderland during the Keane/Quinn Era , owing to an Irish relative involved with the club , what’s shocked me about this series is how poorly motivated so many of the staff were, change seemed an Alien concept , Charlie might be a bit of a plonker but he is no fool and he could really be a star given the right circumstances

those disliking him I should imagine always dislike southerners and posh folk , but he showed form top to bottom things need to improve it’s ok having a family club but if the family are too comfortable and sit around watching TV all day they soon fall apart !

glad I joined and I will 100% come back up more regularly once the covid19 situation is sorted

love the club and the area , the people are so so special it feels like being home in ireland when there

Ps is the Glass Spider still open ?

Spot on word for word. Crackers how many of our own haven’t seen it this way.

My biggest disappointment about season 2 was there was a really interesting story behind it al about how they were beginning to turn stuff around. If they had told that story it would have been great. In the first season I ended up feeling sorry for Martin Bain because of what Rodwell did to club. Bain's reaction felt genuine. I never once got this from Methaven or Donald although their intention were noble. When you can't appear on screen Looking as genuine as the lady who works in the canteen. There a problem with the show

I don’t care what they have. We’ve overall a much better history and tradition and a far bigger fan base, so much so that we get better attendances than them now even though we’re f***ing it up a league below them and they’re going for promotion to the Prem. As for your Derby argument well that’s even more ridiculous.

Think the fact we’re a one team city makes a huge difference much like the mags. Combine the notts county and forest gates and that’s what they would be getting if they only had one club

Totally flawed argument

Back