‘Methven til I die’...

I disagree. The culture of over reliance of Short was there because Short just bailed us out financially at the end of each month through his period at the club. It wouldn't take a genius for the next person to come in and spot that :lol: Methven spotted that, spent a few months trying to change a culture his abrasive way and fucked off when it didn't work. How he is getting praised is beyond me. Simple people are a little bit overawed by people who speak well and sound as if they know what they talk about. Methven f***ing off after he had barely got his feet under the table tells you all you need to know.
Hes getting praised because he came in and tried to fix it. The problem was he came in and was faced with staff that were incompetent and didn’t care. He was disliked because of where he was from, his upbringing, and telling some home truths. He was even spot on with his Jack Ross assesment which shocked me. He only fucked off because of the abuse he was recieving from simple people

Hes getting praised because he came in and tried to fix it. The problem was he came in and was faced with staff that were incompetent and didn’t care. He was disliked because of where he was from, his upbringing, and telling some home truths. He was even spot on with his Jack Ross assesment which shocked me. He only fucked off because of the abuse he was recieving from simple people

Of course he came in and tried to fix it why wouldn't he? Its hardly praiseworthy to come in, try and fix it, fail and then fuck off in a year. You want hard nosed owners who can take the rough with the smooth, it comes with the territory. If you think that its OK to fuck off because fans start showing discontent than i'm surprised. You want people in those sort of positions to have a bit of backbone. Owners will always get criticism.

I disagree. The culture of over reliance of Short was there because Short just bailed us out financially at the end of each month through his period at the club. It wouldn't take a genius for the next person to come in and spot that :lol: Methven spotted that, spent a few months trying to change a culture his abrasive way and fucked off when it didn't work. How he is getting praised is beyond me. Simple people are a little bit overawed by people who speak well and sound as if they know what they talk about. Methven f***ing off after he had barely got his feet under the table tells you all you need to know.
Who or what is going to impress you? Sounds like you just want to stick the boot in.

Who or what is going to impress you? Sounds like you just want to stick the boot in.

Haway man all I would ask is for someone not to come in as if he is the big man, someone who is going to 'turn the oil tanker around' and fuck off within a year when things got a bit tricky. Is that really sticking the boot in? Is it really too much to ask?

Charlie wasn’t even there full time, was at the club on average 3 days a week every two weeks I was told and virtually all staff disliked him immensely
I wonder how much horsetrading went on between salmon pants and the documentary makers. Make me look good and you can have greater access. I'm convinced we've only seen half the story where Methven is concerned.

Haway man all I would ask is for someone not to come in as if he is the big man, someone who is going to 'turn the oil tanker around' and fuck off within a year when things got a bit tricky. Is that really sticking the boot in? Is it really too much to ask?
Fair enough to criticise him for throwing the towel in early. Think it’s a real shame he did, and would agree you’d expect him to have thicker skin, however you and I will never really understand what it’s like to get dogs abuse day in day out when all you’re trying to do is make a success of something. Fans took their frustrations out on the new owners unfairly in my opinion - they did have the mammoth task of turning a juggernaut around, a large section didn’t care for the reality. They didn’t get what they wanted quickly enough and threw their toys out of the pram.

People talk about our fan base being the best there is - they are right on that in many ways. There is also a large section that are the most toxic around when things go wrong.

Fair enough to criticise him for throwing the towel in early. Think it’s a real shame he did, and would agree you’d expect him to have thicker skin, however you and I will never really understand what it’s like to get dogs abuse day in day out when all you’re trying to do is make a success of something. Fans took their frustrations out on the new owners unfairly in my opinion - they did have the mammoth task of turning a juggernaut around, a large section didn’t care for the reality. They didn’t get what they wanted quickly enough and threw their toys out of the pram.

People talk about our fan base being the best there is - they are right on that in many ways. There is also a large section that are the most toxic around when things go wrong.
Our fan base at times is one of the most deluded in the country. Fans twisting over playing in red shorts, or the seats been pink, or not being able to sit in their old seat in the upper tier when its closed. Imagine buying a football club in league one, thats leaking money left right and centre on costs already, and these are the issues people complain about. I think the problem with some fans is that they actually have nothing else in life to worry/care about

Our fan base at times is one of the most deluded in the country. Fans twisting over playing in red shorts, or the seats been pink, or not being able to sit in their old seat in the upper tier when its closed. Imagine buying a football club in league one, thats leaking money left right and centre on costs already, and these are the issues people complain about. I think the problem with some fans is that they actually have nothing else in life to worry/care about

The number of fans who thought we’d bounce straight back from the championship then piss this “pub” league was unreal.

Reality check for a lot of people and hopefully now they have a grasp of no matter how big you have been in the past you have no right to be anywhere else in the pyramid than where you deserve to be at that time.

We’re a club in turmoil with operating costs too high and the future of the club looks bleak.

Accept where we are and that it’s going to be a long hard process to get back to where we want to be. Turning on owners and players and managers gets you nowhere, poisonous toxic atmospheres don’t help, they hinder

Apart from the first episode where he was David Brent's impressionist I thought he was alright. I was more annoyed at some of the staff sitting there in silence pulling faces but then that could have been just the editing of it i.e. what they do on the Apprentice, take a reaction from a completely different part of the scene and make it fit.

Last edited:
Came across as actually caring and not taking bullshit from employees who clearly couldn't give a fuck. Imagine slating someone because they want there business to turn over a profit. If it did its win win for everyone. People on here talk shit about wanting rid of the of the rotten culture and when someone comes in with the balls to do it suddenly turn into snowflakes offended by the way employees who've continually undermined their employer are spoken too.

Went up in my estimations after the half time at Bradford. That self important little jobsworth had continuously been dismissive of what was a great day for the club and finally pushed her luck too far by saying "well if it gets done its done" aka "well I don't really give a fuck about the club I'm just hear to make easy money, pop out kids and leach money"
Hear here

You don't walk in to a failing business, click your fingers and expect it to work. Yep, perhaps they were useless and needed to go. Perhaps they needed some decent leadership, motivation and inspiration.
It's not enough evidence to condemn either Methven or the marketing team mind. Just offering an alternate point of view.
I don't think you would expect it to work straight away, but you would expect some sort of response even if it was shite.Over a period things should start moving in the direction you wanted, but those that aren't responding need to go. By the Boxing day game, they had been at the club for 4 months, so teh staff knew what to epxect. The way he was pleading with the lass to get some figures to him ('doesn't matter if its 200 or so out', 'it's not the official attendance being sent to the league' etc.) and she was still pushing back and making excuses. Seiously ?

Charlie showed leadership something that was non existent at the club for years. Too many people at the club just happy to take the money for doing nothing basically. When they were given targets to hit they panicked because that mentality was never seen at the club before

Charlie was worse than David Brent on this. He was Dwight Schrute. Complete shambles, but thinks he is a genius.
Apart from the first episode where he was David Brent's impressionist I thought he was alright. I was more annoyed at some of the staff sitting there in silence pulling faces but then that could have been just the editing of it i.e. what they do on the Apprentice, take a reaction from a completely different part of the scene and make it fit.

Ah only watched the one so far. Cringeworthy stuff from our Charlie.

Last edited:
It’s kinda comical the episode where Charlie is spelling out the reason the club is going wrong to a group of employees who work desk jobs......
They should have said “hold on a minute, the finances are shot to bits because we’ve had years of overpaying on players, nowt to do with us”
“The club should have lived within in means and should never have speculated on players like Darren bent, Craig Gordon, Gyan, Adam Johnson , Stephen Fletcher, Fabio Borini.....etc etc”
“In the cold light of day, the very footballers who the fans idolise and wanted signed are the ones crippling ‘the club’ in debt”
“What we should have done many years ago was not taking out big loans to get expensive signings in because television revenue might not always be available”

Am I the only one that would rather see all those useless and clueless members of staff sacked than see Charlie go?

No wonder the clubs fucked with those idiots working there. Sack the f***ing lot of them in that marketing team.
Nope, one of many. Charlie is who he is, different culture and upbringing, the epitome of a southern toff too many of us! It's hard to believe that he could possibly "love" Sunderland as much as the fans do, but the 46k vs Bradford was something special. Demanding leader no doubt, but he's very, very good at what he does.

The absolute state of comments like this? You have drawn this opinion based on the back of a documentary that was obviously going to try and make your new owners look alright. You have no idea how good that lass is / was at her job. You are assuming shit. Nobody deserves to be spoken to like that.

<<<<<exactly........especially when you consider Charlie Methven is a Public Relations person and no doubt worked closely with Netflix documentary people to produce a highly edited show.....with a chosen narrative. Ultimately they’ve got to embellish a story because theyve got to string out a non-story for several episodes.

I’ll make no judgements on who was and wasn’t in the wrong. It’s a heavily edited picture only told from one perspective, theirs.

But his approach clearly didn’t f***ing work regardless and the famous scene he was shouting at the wrong person

Back