‘Methven til I die’...

I've watched 2 or 3 episodes and have to say, I can't stand him. He is everything I dislike about a man - Smarmy, untrustworthy and has an inflated opinion of himself.

That said, I feel the same about Purslow, the equivalent at Villa. I think you need that kind of character in that particular role at a football club. If you think he's doing good for your club, it's easier to put up with him.

He not a likeable person and his manner and how he spoke to people, I wouldn't like working for him. He did have a point though aboit the staff. They just didn't seem to care or look motivated at all, but that could be just how it was edited.
They were dreadful
Sat twisting their hair as he talked to them.
Rolling their eyes.
Small time thinking, to his big thinking.
He knew straight away how big we were, trying to get 40k for boxing day. That lass said we had no chance and had zero enthusiasm.

To be successful you sometimes have to be hard on people who don't share your vision
I think a lot of our fans don't like CM as he's a southern tory boy. Unfortunately we're pretty prejudiced up here.

He not a likeable person and his manner and how he spoke to people, I wouldn't like working for him. He did have a point though aboit the staff. They just didn't seem to care or look motivated at all, but that could be just how it was edited.
Can’t see how they can edit him saying has anyone got any questions and not one person stepping up to the plate

My big problem with Charlie was when he CONSTANTLY LIED TO US ABOUT ALL SORTS OF STUPID SHIT.

What a hero for tearing into the ladies in accounts payable though...

Last edited:
new to forum and once had a season ticket at Sunderland during the Keane/Quinn Era , owing to an Irish relative involved with the club , what’s shocked me about this series is how poorly motivated so many of the staff were, change seemed an Alien concept , Charlie might be a bit of a plonker but he is no fool and he could really be a star given the right circumstances

those disliking him I should imagine always dislike southerners and posh folk , but he showed form top to bottom things need to improve it’s ok having a family club but if the family are too comfortable and sit around watching TV all day they soon fall apart !

glad I joined and I will 100% come back up more regularly once the covid19 situation is sorted

love the club and the area , the people are so so special it feels like being home in ireland when there

Ps is the Glass Spider still open ?

renamed “life of riley” these days.....more or less the same bar, Doyles is sadly gone too........but now reopened as a food/ banqueting place

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say I like him, but didn’t come across that badly. I reckon it’s obvious both worked very hard and were passionate about trying to succeed.
Initially i thought he was a typical southern posh boy - a real life yuppie caricature -bit of a dick, but.... i ended up liking him and Stewart Donald, their combined enthusiasm & drive should have been contagious throughout the whole club structure - but like they said , for years the club wasn't run as a business- every month "a rich man from america" would write out a cheque and pay the bills, they did their part, the players and other members of staff didn't. The first season was hilarious, the second season was saddening, wonder if they'll do a third............

Imagine working with the staff at that club. Utterly useless. Can't understand how SD and CM didn't sack the majority and start again.

(Up to episode 3)
We watched up to episode 3 today and even my work shy colleagues would be more responsive to senior managers.
Imagine working with the staff at that club. Utterly useless. Can't understand how SD and CM didn't sack the majority and start again.

(Up to episode 3)
We watched up to episode 3 today and even my work shy colleagues would be more responsive to senior managers.

Last edited:
best part of the series was when he asked for the attendance figure to the nearest 500 off the irish communications lass

shouldn't have swore but put her negative shit in place

second best part was her putting her packed bags in the back of the car

worst part of the series was the football.....same as series one really....just in a lower league

best part of the series was when he asked for the attendance figure to the nearest 500 off the irish communications lass

shouldn't have swore but put her negative shit in place

second best part was her putting her packed bags in the back of the car

worst part of the series was the football.....same as series one really....just in a lower league
She could have been more assertive and just told methven that all she could do was report the attendance figure at a certain time - all she had to do was relay the total from the ticket office to her boss.

I also cannot see the hardship in fetching a bottle of beer for the 2nd most important person at the club.

She could have been more assertive and just told methven that all she could do was report the attendance figure at a certain time - all she had to do was relay the total from the ticket office to her boss.

I also cannot see the hardship in fetching a bottle of beer for the 2nd most important person at the club.
That half time was always going to be about the Charlie Methven Show, yet not one idea was his. Agree she should have been more assertive but if she hasn’t got it, she won’t find it in 10 minutes of half time entertainment.
I don’t know if she offered or he asked for a bottle of beer, but at least she was never caught playfighting on a leather sofa with the number one person at the club.

Only half way through season two, but so far I have no problem with Charlie. So far the series has raised my opinion of both Stuart and Charlie. Will have to wait and see if that holds once it's all over. My take now is that they took over a real nightmare in SAFC, tried really hard at the HUGE job of turning it around, and did a pretty good job, albeit with a few mistakes (Grigg).

Only half way through season two, but so far I have no problem with Charlie. So far the series has raised my opinion of both Stuart and Charlie. Will have to wait and see if that holds once it's all over. My take now is that they took over a real nightmare in SAFC, tried really hard at the HUGE job of turning it around, and did a pretty good job, albeit with a few mistakes (Grigg).

Couldn't agree more. I'm at the same point and they have come across well. Everyone makes mistakes but they seem to have come from the right place.

Just watched it over the course of the last week or so. Yes I know!

Still shocked by how terribly we're ran right the way from top to bottom. Seems like there's just no strong management at any level of the club.
The owner is too much of a fan without enough knowledge to actually run the club. That's fine and it can work if he employs the right people to do the right jobs (that he can't).
Methen I guess is there to shake people up. We need to generate more money, its that simple. Comes across as a bit of a twat at times, but sometimes you need someone like that to challenge the staff who, judging by the show, have been left to their own devices for years.

Donald was clearly looking to make a quick buck and get out. Constantly telling the film crew about "not outstaying his welcome" all the time is just a code to make it look better when a good offer came in. And then he fucked that up for us.

We should have sacked Ross the second Charlton scored their 2nd. We were on a trajectory to nowhere, and no plan to move it forward.

Now that I know Ellis f***ing Short knew £20m of the sale price would essentially be the club's own money, I'm even more furious that he was sitting with the board for the cup final. The absolute twat.

I don't want to be a billionair's plaything. I'd be disgusted to have the Saudi government own us to use us to make them look good in the eyes of the world with their "look, we no longer execute children for crimes" message. But can we just have a moderately wealthy owner who knows how to build a strong team (off the pitch, which will lead to on the pitch eventually) and has a f***ing plan that doesn't include leaving the second things get bad. Someone who has a f***ing clue what they're dong. Fuck, even if we run break-even and there's no investment at all beyond what the club generates - just someone with a f***ing plan that gets the most out of what we have to offer. Which is bloody loads.

Came across as actually caring and not taking bullshit from employees who clearly couldn't give a fuck. Imagine slating someone because they want there business to turn over a profit. If it did its win win for everyone. People on here talk shit about wanting rid of the of the rotten culture and when someone comes in with the balls to do it suddenly turn into snowflakes offended by the way employees who've continually undermined their employer are spoken too.

Went up in my estimations after the half time at Bradford. That self important little jobsworth had continuously been dismissive of what was a great day for the club and finally pushed her luck too far by saying "well if it gets done its done" aka "well I don't really give a fuck about the club I'm just hear to make easy money, pop out kids and leach money"

How do you know that?

Methven was a charlatan. Maybe the staff did need challenging and a shake, and maybe he might have had some decent ideas. However, the crux is he fucked off at the first sign of it going properly tits up.

Spot-on. I don't know whether or not the staff needed a kick up the arse but they featured for about 10 minute max in a highly (and badly) edited series.
The Irish lass who left was portrayed to be mocking Methven as he was giving his Churchillian speech at the start, for example.
Other staff were included yawning during meetings. How many people have f***ing yawned during the working day man?
It was a bit of a character assassination on working people imo and shameful of the producers who turned it into the Methven show.

Back