£100million redevelopment project gets underway in Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

£800m would sort out Vaux, Farringdon Row, Sheepfolds stonkingly. It's very positive news.

The Vaux site will be the key site, but they will also be looking at Seaburn, Chapelgarth and Holmeside, as well as the above.

Typical narrow-mindedness.
Or typical heard it all before.
The first model for a new bridge over the Wear was in the seventies. I'm sure it'll be along soon.

It's looking great. I was back home the other day though and every one of my mates were crying about it, when I asked not one could give me a good reason why they disliked it. Quite unreal tbh.
Really? area is starting to look like a proper city centre, if we can get the new courts and development of the vaux site it will be looking great.

Last edited:
The biggest worry that I have is that Carillion are a ruthless contractor, and have terrible payment terms for the supply chain.[/QUOTE]

Yip they have a reputation for being horrendously slow to pay their sub-contractors (often local businesses) and also for withholding monies for alleged issues which could see some of them actually go to the wall before a resolution is found, I work for a merchant and we wont deal with them ( we rarely chase the subbies business on their jobs for the same reason)

By the looks of this Igloo urban regeneration's existing works, we're going to have our very own Peterelee, well, at least for a couple of year before it falls to pieces.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Look topper them mate...........who wants to live somewhere where all the buildings are the same

The biggest worry that I have is that Carillion are a ruthless contractor, and have terrible payment terms for the supply chain.

Yip they have a reputation for being horrendously slow to pay their sub-contractors (often local businesses) and also for withholding monies for alleged issues which could see some of them actually go to the wall before a resolution is found, I work for a merchant and we wont deal with them ( we rarely chase the subbies business on their jobs for the same reason)[/QUOTE]

Plenty will deal with them though.......they will get the job done

Look topper them mate...........who wants to live somewhere where all the buildings are the same

Yip they have a reputation for being horrendously slow to pay their sub-contractors (often local businesses) and also for withholding monies for alleged issues which could see some of them actually go to the wall before a resolution is found, I work for a merchant and we wont deal with them ( we rarely chase the subbies business on their jobs for the same reason)

Plenty will deal with them though.......they will get the job done[/QUOTE]
Ah no I know that and I'm sure they'll do a great job, it just stinks the way the little guy gets bent over every time and the money ends up out of the region, great news for the redevelopment though and I'm not even from Sunderland.

The metro is a great system, but hasn't helped Sunderland that's for sure.
It was never meant to. Eventually running it up to south Hilton was just paying lip service really.

The most obvious run for a Sunderland metro was up to doxford international. The only practical route to doxford was up to the Barnes then across towards plains farm and along the back of Sainsbury. That would use existing old lines but some bright spark built new houses, Frinton-park and Bede-brook on those old lines. Its been said those houses were built there for a reason.

It was never meant to. Eventually running it up to south Hilton was just paying lip service really.

The most obvious run for a Sunderland metro was up to doxford international. The only practical route to doxford was up to the Barnes then across towards plains farm and along the back of Sainsbury. That would use existing old lines but some bright spark built new houses, Frinton-park and Bede-brook on those old lines. Its been said those houses were built there for a reason.
Didn't they also build houses on the old track that leads to Durham when it would only have cost about 14 million to connect Durham up to the metro?

those 2 are built on the old original Clays nursery site,not to be confused with the one homebase is built on. the railway line route is still behind them as a footpath.

Sunderland needs to demolish-gradually of course everything inside the border of Fawcett st, Holmeside, High St W and Green Terrace . Leaving any buildings of architectural interest. The 1960's development which became the Bridges is poor , we deserve better! Sunderland has loads of potential as a city, hope they get it right......

Nah mate this is my only account- what makes you think otherwise
Ah never mind mate, just clocked your join date ;)

"Arise Sir Stabber"

I can see a time, sometime soon, when the Sandies will be clamouring to be known as 'Sunderland-Shields'
Aye, everyone from shields will have to tell people they're from Sunderland when they're on holiday.

Last edited:

those 2 are built on the old original Clays nursery site,not to be confused with the one homebase is built on. the railway line route is still behind them as a footpath.

The houses nearest the Barnes roundabout weren't built on clays. Where they have been built has reduced that corridor to almost nothing, not enough to build a metro line without demolishing houses. There was a story about it in the echo if I remember correctly. Next time I'm down that way I'm going to have a look

Didn't they also build houses on the old track that leads to Durham when it would only have cost about 14 million to connect Durham up to the metro?
I didn't know of that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back