£100million redevelopment project gets underway in Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

"This innovative contract, which will initially focus on the redevelopment of key sites across the City, is potentially worth up to £800 million to Carillion over the 20 year life of the regeneration programme"

Whilst I am excited about this partnership, even if my head is trying to tell me to calm down. Why are there no details mentioned? What does key sites mean? Why cant they tell us whats going on? I want to know. I want to know NOW FFS!!

Love owt like this me.

Sunderland is finally seriously thinking about taking the first tentative steps towards the path that leads to the road that ultimately leads to it being back.

You know what, I had a couple of hours to kill in the town on Saturday and had a good walk around the new square, Sunniside and green terrace areas, and it's not as bad as what people make out.

If we can attract jobs to sunderland, and try and get the locals to spend their disposable income in the town this could be cracking city again.

The amount of what looked like fairly new businesses which had shut up shop was scary. Clothes shops and beauty type shops down in sunniside which is never heard of.
Think the new square looks cracking mesel!

Good stuff - so any ideas as to what they are going to build?

All the key sites will go through them...........I would expect them to be leading the planning, obtaining investment, appointing development partners, etc. They have just entered into a commercial agreement so naturally they have not started yet but they have the track record do deliver what a council could never deliver on their own.

Think the new square looks cracking mesel!
It does indeed...........can't wait for it to be open and events to be held there.

Whilst I am excited about this partnership, even if my head is trying to tell me to calm down. Why are there no details mentioned? What does key sites mean? Why cant they tell us whats going on? I want to know. I want to know NOW FFS!!
Agree mate, you could argue work has been carried out on the vaux site, it was redeveloped into a temporary car park. Until we get details of the plans not sure what to think.

Also anyone got any detail on the Hilton and The beacon of light? Though work was meant to start during the summer?

Oh and where are the designs for the new bridge?

All the key sites will go through them...........I would expect them to be leading the planning, obtaining investment, appointing development partners, etc. They have just entered into a commercial agreement so naturally they have not started yet but they have the track record do deliver what a council could never deliver on their own.

It does indeed...........can't wait for it to be open and events to be held there.
Hopefully a giant screen during the euros :cool:

Agree mate, you could argue work has been carried out on the vaux site, it was redeveloped into a temporary car park. Until we get details of the plans not sure what to think.

Also anyone got any detail on the Hilton and The beacon of light? Though work was meant to start during the summer?

Oh and where are the designs for the new bridge?

Hopefully a giant screen during the euros :cool:
Someone in the know on here was saying the plans for the Hilton and beacon of light were being amended......that's the hold up. I would imagine the planning for the bridge will be low-key given it's in no way iconic.........but we do know that CPOs were completed for the majority of the businesses in the corridor so it seems to be moving forward.

I would imagine Carillion will be involved in all those developments now

Someone in the know on here was saying the plans for the Hilton and beacon of light were being amended......that's the hold up. I would imagine the planning for the bridge will be low-key given it's in no way iconic.........but we do know that CPOs were completed for the majority of the businesses in the corridor so it seems to be moving forward.

I know you put up links mate, but I'm at work. Can you hoy some pics up of developments that this Carillion group have done in the past? Just want to get a bit more excited.

"There will be at least £100million of development by Siglion over the first eight years"

So thats around £12.5mil a year, bet most of that disappears down the back of someone's sofa. I guess the devil will be in the detail, so until we get some proper details I think we all should be very apprehensive about what comes of this.

I've always been a critic of the council,

but you have to be rational and accept good news when it comes and not criticize merely for criticisms sake. This is however is great news, it is the news we've all been waiting for.

I do believe that the situations with Vaux, Farringdon Row, Holmeside, etc would have been solved a lot sooner had it not been for the financial crisis, which crippled property investment and the flow of capital for several years. We had a developer for holmeside, the crisis bankrupted them.

This is great though, no matter which party does it, above all we want to see a Sunderland we can be proud of again. The seafront project looks great, I'm sure the new college in Holmeside will too. I guess now we can finally say, things are starting to move so I hope this lives up to our exptectations.

If the vaux site is developed, then the new square is going to be a tremendous success standing next to it.

Come on then, which one of you is Tom Paris?

"Another 'new' company heralded by the Echo and the City Council yet it's another company without one new job being created. It would be NEWS if the Echo told us who is making out of this!"

Thanks mate - hopefully the will get moving soon, will make the stadium and surrounding area look much better.

Hopefully we get some good news about the new court building next year!

but you have to be rational and accept good news when it comes and not criticize merely for criticisms sake. This is however is great news, it is the news we've all been waiting for.

I do believe that the situations with Vaux, Farringdon Row, Holmeside, etc would have been solved a lot sooner had it not been for the financial crisis, which crippled property investment and the flow of capital for several years. We had a developer for holmeside, the crisis bankrupted them.

This is great though, no matter which party does it, above all we want to see a Sunderland we can be proud of again. The seafront project looks great, I'm sure the new college in Holmeside will too. I guess now we can finally say, things are starting to move so I hope this lives up to our exptectations.

If the vaux site is developed, then the new square is going to be a tremendous success standing next to it.

Totally agree.

It took them 40 years to redevelop Sunderland, so it's great to see them finally getting there. Still I wonder how many voters have now gone from voting Tory/UKIP to voting Labour locally given that Sunderland Council are finally beginning to get their act together.

Well said marra!

We know that the council are shit at urban development and we know that Carillion are good at it, that's why they are a successful commercial company. The council have had the foresight to hand over responsibility to Carillion in a partnership which still gives them a say in what is developed.....£100m in the pot so far with up to £800m for Carillion alone.......so it's in the interests of Carillion to make this a roaring success.

Totally agree.

It took them 40 years to redevelop Sunderland, so it's great to see them finally getting there. Still I wonder how many voters have now gone from voting Tory/UKIP to voting Labour locally given that Sunderland Council are finally beginning to get their act together.

I think for the most part local voting intentions will always mirror and be based on national ones, as people are often not politically engaged enough to pay too much attention.

I won't vote for the current council, but like I said doesn't mean you can't congratulate any progress or deny it purely for partisan sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back