Watmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a cracking player and showed it for England U21's the other week, A game changer.

Watmores a later start than Henderson and Bridges, he has had bad injuries and wasn't as physically developed as Henderson. I'm not sure he can be light years behind them like. The poor fucker has only started a couple of games in the top level, already scored a couple of goals, already got a top centre half sent off because he couldn't handle him.

I always liked Henderson but its worth remembering that there were loads of people of here slagging Henderson off at the time on here also saying he would never make it.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/carroll-henderson.672681/

You should get a grip. You obviously don't watch us and you have fallen into the daft position of judging Henderson by what he has done since he left us... you even did this in your post calling him 'Liverpool captain' and 'England midfielder'. Neither of which he was when he came through at Sunderland.

We all thought we had done Liverpool for that fee.
He was a good players but didn't look as good as Bridges when he came through.

Of course I can happily say he has developed into a very good player but he didn't look like getting that good when he was here. That does not negate my original post of saying that Watmore is the best young player I've seen come through at Sunderland since Michael Bridges.

I always said we should have spurned the money and kept Henderson. Did we spend it on Gardner and some other crappo ?

That's a canny point.
Not having that until I see him run on to his own flick-on and toe peg one in the top corner!

Seen a canny tweet off David Moberg Karlson paying tribute to the lad, basically saying he deserves his success as such a hard worker and nice lad.

I always said we should have spurned the money and kept Henderson. Did we spend it on Gardner and some other crappo ?
Hard to keep a player though when a club like that is after him. How would he have felt if we turned down such a good offer? Think he would have been canny miffed. Shit like but it's now a business rather than a sport. And as for the money, was there ever any doubt we'd piss it up the wall!

Last edited:
A couple of points.

Watmore did have 3 or 4 poor touches but only twice did he lose the ball. He tried to play a 3 yard lay off to Fletcher, mucked it up but was fast enough in mind and body to regain the ball :) The poor touch inside the box was purely down to inexperience and nerves. He got a bit ahead of himself and was thinking about the shot before he had the ball under control, he'll learn.

He's got a good footballing brain. During the 2nd half Fletcher drifted wide right, Watmore moved straight inside, then Fletcher moved back to the middle, Watmore moved back wide. It's a little thing but some players would have just stayed wide and basically hid. He plays exactly to his strengths, using his pace and trying to get inside the box so defenders are frightened to tackle him.

The turn he does on his left side (he's beaten both Stones and Shawcross easily with it) is world class. It really is in the Ronaldo / Bale league. He's right footed, the defenders are covering that side and he kind of plays the ball with the outside of his right foot and sprints away and leaves the defender 4 or 5 yards in his wake. It really is something special.

That finish was top draw. gave the keeper no chance. I still wouldn't play him ahead of Defoe but I'd been giving him a good 30 minutes every game. Love the kid me :)

Mental thread in parts. I can imagine him next week scoring a hat trick, turning Kocielny inside out, getting two of their players sent off and people still going on about his first touch and looking knackered after 20 minutes.

Only at Sunderland honestly.

Get a grip man. Nobody on this thread is criticizing him too harshly. Just about every single post is praising in him some way, some a bit over the top, others more cautiously as perhaps they remember the likes of McLean. I don't get the feeling that anyone on this thread is anything other than impressed with his performance today and hopeful that he'll keep it up and not be a flash in the pan. He's not the finished article yet but so far is showing loads of promise. The end.

One of the good things about this lad is he will be working on the weaker aspects of his game to try to improve himself. He's not one of them to kick back with a fat contract and think he's made it. Really pleased for him and how he's taken his chances, pleased for the club for spotting something about him and pleased for the fans as we have a do have a genuinely exciting talent on our hands.

I genuinely think comparing Watmore to McClean is the most ridiculous thing I've read in ages. They aren't remotely similar.

aye 2 goals having only started one game just isn't up to scratch. Particularly when you consider how much end product our other players have shown over the last couple of years.

2 goals in 3 hours of premier league football. What more can he produce? The kid has barely played. What are people expecting?

He isn't. His game is about pace, energy, intensity, running and making a nuisance of himself; all very valuable qualities.

He isn't a naturally skilful player though, there is no point in saying he is. That doesn't mean he can't be an asset

I'm fairly certain it was one of Pop Robsons last contributions
He can drop his shoulder and go either way, has excellent awareness and a genuine football brain. Pretty much everything you need to be a top quality player, he isn't a show pony he is a proper footballer.

I genuinely think comparing Watmore to McClean is the most ridiculous thing I've read in ages. They aren't remotely similar.

2 goals in 3 hours of premier league football. What more can he produce? The kid has barely played. What are people expecting?
Couldn't agree more Watmore is miles ahead of that fucker.

:lol: I can't fathom it out. 2 goals in 3 hours football, got Shawcross sent off in a game we went on to win. In his 3 hours he also made a hugely positive impact at Palace where we went on to win.

Yet its enough to convince people hes got a rubbish first touch, no end product, is fucked after 10 minutes and is shit with his back to goal.

It's hilarious :lol:

Now, should we go back on this forum, to all the people who wrote the lad off, before he was even given a chance!!!

Exactly . Henderson or Colback have both done more and at a younger age. Hyperbole again. Superb goal today mind. Cracker

As mentioned. The lads only played 3 hours premiership football in his life. Scored a cracker as you say, got a quality player sent off, played an clear influential role in 2 wins from those 3 hours and you are still trying to find a negative.

This ^^

Watmore is light years behind these - at present

Comparing a rank journey man squad player like Colback to Watmore :lol:

Watmore is raw, he's only been in full time training for 3 months due to his schooling but he'll win us plenty of points this season and the sky is the limit at the minute. Good players make a difference, contribute heavily to winning games. Cattermole has won us 5 times more points than Colback ever did.

Colback was straight back in for the mags today, 5 - 1, he must be a world beater in training. He's one of the reasons the mags are 2nd bottom.

You can tell defenders hate playing against him, never gives them a moments peace and the thing defenders hate the most are small and direct strikers. You can tell he's a nice lad by how the players celebrated with him, he will improve too.
Aye, they seemed over the moon for him. Lovely to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back