Two musts for survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weve blew it against villa and hull after good results already this season because of shite mistakes.

We can't do it a 3rd time...surely?!

Team selection will be key.
Needs to play the same team, I think Cardiff will have a bit of a go so no need to change what's working for us.

If Gus tinkers and drops Vergini for Bardsley and Bridcutt for one of our middle 3 then we could have problems.

Let's stick with the lads who have got 2 amazing results and back them to do it again.

Team selection will be key.
Needs to play the same team, I think Cardiff will have a bit of a go so no need to change what's working for us.

If Gus tinkers and drops Vergini for Bardsley and Bridcutt for one of our middle 3 then we could have problems.

Let's stick with the lads who have got 2 amazing results and back them to do it again.

Not worried that it means we would be sitting off more?

I'd bring Ki in for Colback as he can make things happen in the final 3rd and we need to win.

We aren't going to score from a cross so we need someone who is looking to get in those positions in a final 3rd.

Not worried that it means we would be sitting off more?

I'd bring Ki in for Colback as he can make things happen in the final 3rd and we need to win.

We aren't going to score from a cross so we need someone who is looking to get in those positions in a final 3rd.

I don't think Cardiff will sit back too much, I think with Wickham in his current form and Johnson and Borini out wide we would break thru. 2nd half we could go for it more but we have good balance at the minute, everyone seems to know their job. If it ain't broke...

I don't think Cardiff will sit back too much, I think with Wickham in his current form and Johnson and Borini out wide we would break thru. 2nd half we could go for it more but we have good balance at the minute, everyone seems to know their job. If it ain't broke...

Yeah I know what you mean and I agree with what your saying to a certain extent. However, seeing our home performances this season and the lack of goals we've scored against these type of teams I can't see us scoring if they come and sit behind the ball to try and nick something on a set play (like they did at Southampton)

Johnson is our only player with any craft who can make something happen out of very little imo and Ki would bring some quality on the ball over Colback.

Yeah I know what you mean and I agree with what your saying to a certain extent. However, seeing our home performances this season and the lack of goals we've scored against these type of teams I can't see us scoring if they come and sit behind the ball to try and nick something on a set play (like they did at Southampton)

Johnson is our only player with any craft who can make something happen out of very little imo and Ki would bring some quality on the ball over Colback.

You make good points but we've been pretty poor most of the season at home wether it's been 1 or 2 up top but now we have fell upon a formation and group of players which has clicked so personally I would back them and send them out again. Tbh I had this discussion with my brother and nephew earlier tonight and I did say if I had to make a change it would be Ki for Colback for the exact reason you say but no changes elsewhere.
Vergini knows his first job is defending and hasn't been caught out of position (which Bardsley does numerous times every game) therefore no change at rb, also Bridcutt needs to stay out as Catts and Larsson are doing the grafting role well so it's bench at best for him.
We could start with the same 11 and easily go more attacking in the 2nd half with Giacherrini and Altidore coming on as the successful blueprint is there now.

I'd stick with Colback to start, and look to bring Ki on fresh as a sub. He's been better like this recently.

One thing that stood out from the Cardiff highlights was Fraizer Campbell. One penalty given, another serious appeal denied. I wouldn't call either outright dives, but he went down very easily. Need to watch this.

You make good points but we've been pretty poor most of the season at home wether it's been 1 or 2 up top but now we have fell upon a formation and group of players which has clicked so personally I would back them and send them out again. Tbh I had this discussion with my brother and nephew earlier tonight and I did say if I had to make a change it would be Ki for Colback for the exact reason you say but no changes elsewhere.
Vergini knows his first job is defending and hasn't been caught out of position (which Bardsley does numerous times every game) therefore no change at rb, also Bridcutt needs to stay out as Catts and Larsson are doing the grafting role well so it's bench at best for him.
We could start with the same 11 and easily go more attacking in the 2nd half with Giacherrini and Altidore coming on as the successful blueprint is there now.

Yeah I know we could but if we don't seize the moment and get the first goal then they will win the game as I can't see us coming back (due to the previous home games). If we do play the same team then it's vital Colback and Larsson get past their midfield and get on the ball in advanced positions, I honestly can't see that happening.

I'd probably pick Bardsley at right back as he will only be up against Kim and has more experience in English football to defend a corner (which is the only way they will score) + offers more going forward. I'm not remotely worried about their attacking options.

Yeah I know we could but if we don't seize the moment and get the first goal then they will win the game as I can't see us coming back (due to the previous home games). If we do play the same team then it's vital Colback and Larsson get past their midfield and get on the ball in advanced positions, I honestly can't see that happening.

I'd probably pick Bardsley at right back as he will only be up against Kim and has more experience in English football to defend a corner (which is the only way they will score) + offers more going forward. I'm not remotely worried about their attacking options.

For me there's no coincidence that we've looked stronger at the back with Vergini at rb. Bardsley will maraude forward and leave gaps behind him all day as well as trying to score from 25 yards whenever he gets a sniff when retaining possession is vital.
I would be gutted to see Vergini dropped for Bardsley after two of our best results this season, would be a huge huge gaff imo.

For me there's no coincidence that we've looked stronger at the back with Vergini at rb. Bardsley will maraude forward and leave gaps behind him all day as well as trying to score from 25 yards whenever he gets a sniff when retaining possession is vital.
I would be gutted to see Vergini dropped for Bardsley after two of our best results this season, would be a huge huge gaff imo.

Bardsley was good against Everton to be fair. The goal came down the other side aswell.

I don't mind who plays but Bardsley offers more going forward and I think they'll play Kim on the left who's garbage.

Bardsley was good against Everton to be fair. The goal came down the other side aswell.

I don't mind who plays but Bardsley offers more going forward and I think they'll play Kim on the left who's garbage.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one mate, no reason to drop Vergini as I see it but I trust Gus to get it right. Keeping a clean sheet is vital and I've never rated Bardlsey as a defender and he is very wasteful going forward, one thing about Vergini is that he rarely loses possession but it's all about opinions.

Here's a fact I haven't seen on here yet which is worth noting:
If we win, Norwich lose and Fulham fail to win, we will climb out of the bottom three on GD.
Lots to play for this weekend. From here on out we could be the team in control.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one mate, no reason to drop Vergini as I see it but I trust Gus to get it right. Keeping a clean sheet is vital and I've never rated Bardlsey as a defender and he is very wasteful going forward, one thing about Vergini is that he rarely loses possession but it's all about opinions.

There is 1 particular advantage to playing Vergini at RB at the moment, and that's height.

We look better equiped to actually threaten from set plays now, with Alonso, Vergini, Wickham, O'Shea and Brown all 6ft+. It may well help us defensively also, despite the bad positioning of Wickham for the Eto'o goal.

No changes for me, the current group have earned the trust of Poyet, and we will certainly have decent options on the bench next week with Ki, Bridcutt, Altidore, Giaccherini, Scocco etc all available. Several of those have made an impact from the bench lately aswell.

Never mind the other clubs, its simple man, our target is 4 wins, game over.
Why aim for 7 points when there is 12 to play for?

Reading bits of this thread, it's going to be tough isn't it. I'm thinking of West Brom's goal difference in particular. They can definitely get a win from West Ham and/ or Stoke and if they do we'll need to win all three. Who knows what's around the corner, but it's all to play for and to an extent it's in our hand, in as much as if we win our game in hand over West Brom then all of a sudden we are 4th bottom.

It's all somewhat reminiscent of Wigan last season,only their cup run was the FA Cup and was now, ours was a month or two ago/ before the end of the season.

Reading bits of this thread, it's going to be tough isn't it. I'm thinking of West Brom's goal difference in particular. They can definitely get a win from West Ham and/ or Stoke and if they do we'll need to win all three. Who knows what's around the corner, but it's all to play for and to an extent it's in our hand, in as much as if we win our game in hand over West Brom then all of a sudden we are 4th bottom.

It's all somewhat reminiscent of Wigan last season,only their cup run was the FA Cup and was now, ours was a month or two ago/ before the end of the season.

The thing is though, it's all about timing and pressure. West Brom play WHU at home this week, win that and they are safe. Fail to win, and they are in big trouble.

Following their game this week, they play Arsenal away, realistically they'll get beaten. They then come here, knowing that they could well need a result from it... it all comes to this weekend for them AND us.

Never mind the other clubs, its simple man, our target is 4 wins, game over.
Why aim for 7 points when there is 12 to play for?

Why? Nobody is suggesting we simply set out to achieve a maximum of 7 points. We are being realistic. Of course we will try to get as many as we can, but what's the point in sitting down and thinking 'I know, we should try and win all of our games' - that's just stating the bleeding obvious, really. We won't win all 4, but I think a lot of people (myself including) think 2 wins and a draw is achievable, given the fixtures.

Weve blew it against villa and hull after good results already this season because of shite mistakes.

We can't do it a 3rd time...surely?!
My theory is that beating the mags is a poison chalice. Going into both games we were playing half decent stuff and getting results. Once we beat them we have had a hangover lasting for a while before we came 'good' again.

I think (hope) we've got over that hangover just in the nick of time and will find some form for the last few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back